• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News John Still becomes Head of Football at SUFC

I really want to see the organisational chart here. If Stan is senior football strategist and Still is head of football, does that mean Stan reports to him? What on earth is Anton Robinsons job if he still has one, etc?

While we've been privileged for a period to have the insight from Stan about what is going on at the club, one thing that's never been forthcoming is clarity around roles and how they relate to one another - without that I can understand people having doubts about how this all fits together and whether it's sustainable.

It’s a no-brainer that I thought even SZ would be near unanimous on.
He just said "You can't click your fingers and have all the new players you want today" so he's clearly not going to be for everyone on here.

Hasn't gone down to well with some Daggers fans according to their fans website very bitter
I can see why given he also said "I'm a Daggers fan but I couldn't say no to joining [Southend]". That's not a great read if you're from their camp.

Don’t get me wrong I’m pleased with the appointment. He has bags of experience at this level and compliments the rest of the team very well.

My concern is on the pitch and we have dodged a bullet today not having to play it gives the club more time to get those signings sorted. Yes we shouldn’t rush into signing players but we’ve had plenty of time, we know the areas that need addressing and we need to get some serious points on the board! Otherwise it’ll be 3 relegations in a row.

I really want to see the organisational chart here. If Stan is senior football strategist and Still is head of football, does that mean Stan reports to him? What on earth is Anton Robinsons job if he still has one, etc?

While we've been privileged for a period to have the insight from Stan about what is going on at the club, one thing that's never been forthcoming is clarity around roles and how they relate to one another - without that I can understand people having doubts about how this all fits together and whether it's sustainable.
The way I see it is that Stan is an advisor and support for Tom, and John Still is an advisor for Kev.

I think in reality Kev, Stan and Still will work quite closely to identify improvements needed in the squad. They'll need to agree a plan before it's then raised with Ron for sign-off.

I don't think it's possible for too many experienced and highly qualified people to be involved in work on our short, medium, and long-term strategy. Each will bring different ideas and having both Stan and John Still IMO will be very helpful.

The rebuild begins.

No but he knows Currie already
Yes Currie worked under him at both Dagenham and Barnet . At last we’ve got someone in with Knowledge of the National League, in fact he probably has the most information on players in and around this league than any other person. WE NOW STAND A CHANCE well that’s how high I rate the man.

Barnet fan here... so know John Still very well...

He's been busy since he retired from football with us 3 years ago (https://barnetfc.com/john-still-announces-his-retirement-from-football-management-at-68-years-of-age) - and of course he was DC's boss at Daggers and us before Darren Currie took over from him.

Am slightly bemused as DC is the one that really should have the emphasis - a forward thinking, young talented manager with good connections, positive footballing style and really keen on building up relationship with the fans. You're lucky to have him.

As for Still? Barnet fans find it hilarious. I hope for your sake he has no influence on playing style (think 1990's hoofball). Given the huge transfer budget he had when he came back to us, he splurged the lot on awful Dagenham players (didn't bother signing the good ones). As for the talented youngsters? Didn't sign a single one - perhaps Jack Barham, but he's at NLS now. ****ed away a huge amount of money on players from his old club who were in financial strife at the time, and played an awful brand of football.

tl:dr - You're blessed to have Ruby Murray, literally no idea what you're doing with the dinosaur JS.

He's been busy since he retired from football with us 3 years ago (https://barnetfc.com/john-still-announces-his-retirement-from-football-management-at-68-years-of-age) - and of course he was DC's boss at Daggers and us before Darren Currie took over from him.

Am slightly bemused as DC is the one that really should have the emphasis - a forward thinking, young talented manager with good connections, positive footballing style and really keen on building up relationship with the fans. You're lucky to have him.

As for Still? Barnet fans find it hilarious. I hope for your sake he has no influence on playing style (think 1990's hoofball). Given the huge transfer budget he had when he came back to us, he splurged the lot on awful Dagenham players (didn't bother signing the good ones). As for the talented youngsters? Didn't sign a single one - perhaps Jack Barham, but he's at NLS now. ****ed away a huge amount of money on players from his old club who were in financial strife at the time, and played an awful brand of football.

tl:dr - You're blessed to have Ruby Murray, literally no idea what you're doing with the dinosaur JS.
Thanks MCB. Interesting take. I would imagine he would have no input into playing style but I could be incorrect.

Mr Martin all of a sudden finds money to burn!! Has he been to the pawnbrokers or is this his usual smoke and mirrors trick?
All of the new management signings and funding thereof just does not add up.
If we were a well run club with a clear budget then this would all be great but.........
Possibly via unofficial sponsorship from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs?

Feel like Southend are a bit like the NHS with too many people in management positions and not enough/top quality players (too many chiefs not enough indians). It’s great to have more experience however look how experienced our squad is and most of the experienced ones are the **** ones. We need to get some steel in midfield, decent winger who can cross the ball, another pacy CB and a new right back ASAP. Until then we can have all the experience in the world but we will still be fighting relegation. My other concern is what will happen if Stan/Tom disagree with Kev/John as these are some big egos and will all to an extent want their own way. Hopefully the structure is this is your side of things and this is ours and we won’t step on each other’s toes but I’m not sure that is going to be the case.

I had dinner with him once - in Harrods!
He was up for manager of the month at Dagenham, and I was covering Fulham's then manager of the month, Paul Bracewell.
JS did his best to sound humble and ordinary, but he made taciturn Bracewell seem very second division on coaching and running a side in the lower echelons.
Likeable and knowledgeable therefore, so hope he brings useful karma.

Thanks for posting but I'm sure that Dagenham and Luton fans would, conversely, have some positive things to say about JS. Regards his return to Barnet, he still achieved a 48.3% win percentage, the highest of his managerial career (according to Wiki) so some of the things he did must've paid off. He knows the league, that's for sure .. I see him more in an advisory role and overseeing scouting so zero input on how we'll play .. you'd hope. We have 3 capable coaches already looking after that.

Back