• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News John Still becomes Head of Football at SUFC

Why does everyone assume this guy is useless?
Until we know who was NOT signed following his recommendation I do not see how anyone can form an opinion as to his capabilities.
There is surely more to it than who joined the club over a period.

There are far more players who have turned us down than have signed in recent years......The further you go down the leagues and the lower the wages then other personal factors and recent club history have a bigger impact on who they sign for.

Same when players past their best years are offered a new contract......If your 3 targets in that position have said no, then your under pressure to keep what you have.

Really so excited about this appointment.

Absolutely no one knows these leagues as well as John Still. He was great as a manager picked up some fantastic players and developed those that played under him. I really think he is a legend at this level and really see him as the final piece in the jigsaw knowing both Kevin and Darren really well.

An absolutely fantastic appointment.

I have just read the John Still interview, and I have now gone from being overjoyed at this appointment to being slightly concerned.

He admits to being a Dagenham fan.

I can't recall the name of the poster and can't find the actual post, but someone on here warned us of the dangers of signing ex Dagenham players. It appears that they are all conditioned in some way to hate Southend.

Isn't it just as dangerous then to sign an ex Dagenham manager? For all we know, he could have been involved in the conditioning.
Because he's not on the pitch it's probably better - unable to score own goals that way.

Why does everyone assume this guy is useless?
Until we know who was NOT signed following his recommendation I do not see how anyone can form an opinion as to his capabilities.
There is surely more to it than who joined the club over a period.
You have to factor in the average SZ 5 stage thought process:

1.Assume the worst
2. Form a firm opinion based on rumour and assumptions ( sometimes made out to be facts).
3. Change opinion once facts become known and/or someone points out facts that were always available but you hadn’t bothered to research
OR
3.1 once it’s clear you are wrong repeat the same “facts” in another thread.
4 Apolgise and state that next time you won’t be so quick to jump to conclusions ( this one is optional and has a low take up rate)
5. Repeat the above on the next subject - including 4 as the reality is nothing was learnt from the last time

You have to factor in the average SZ 5 stage thought process:

1.Assume the worst
2. Form a firm opinion based on rumour and assumptions ( sometimes made out to be facts).
3. Change opinion once facts become known and/or someone points out facts that were always available but you hadn’t bothered to research
OR
3.1 once it’s clear you are wrong repeat the same “facts” in another thread.
4 Apolgise and state that next time you won’t be so quick to jump to conclusions ( this one is optional and has a low take up rate)
5. Repeat the above on the next subject - including 4 as the reality is nothing was learnt from the last time
100% this.

There are far more players who have turned us down than have signed in recent years......The further you go down the leagues and the lower the wages then other personal factors and recent club history have a bigger impact on who they sign for.

Same when players past their best years are offered a new contract......If your 3 targets in that position have said no, then your under pressure to keep what you have.
Or if you under embargo and cannot sign anyone.
It is never just one thing.

Or if you under embargo and cannot sign anyone.
It is never just one thing.
And I should have said I accept and endorse your post.

Back