• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News John Still becomes Head of Football at SUFC

Feel like Southend are a bit like the NHS with too many people in management positions and not enough/top quality players (too many chiefs not enough indians). It’s great to have more experience however look how experienced our squad is and most of the experienced ones are the **** ones. We need to get some steel in midfield, decent winger who can cross the ball, another pacy CB and a new right back ASAP. Until then we can have all the experience in the world but we will still be fighting relegation. My other concern is what will happen if Stan/Tom disagree with Kev/John as these are some big egos and will all to an extent want their own way. Hopefully the structure is this is your side of things and this is ours and we won’t step on each other’s toes but I’m not sure that is going to be the case.

It's a restructure. Laying solid foundations for future success. Don't really see what the problem is. Just sit back and see what happens rather than overthinking things. I know it's hard to trust people in positions of power at the club given the last few years, but I see no reason not to trust that Tom Lawrence is making decisions influenced by an agreed direction and due diligence.

Again, it'd going to take time. Still himself has said it in his interview. But people have been crying out for change - for some foundations and a structure; for a culture and identity; for some long-term thinking rather than panicky, short-sighted quick fixes. These are the things that are being put in place. Nobody has a crystal ball alinto which they can glance and say "this will definitely work", but I for one happy to have competent people finally in important positions, working their arses off in an attempt to turn this club around from top-to-bottom. Have patience and see how it works out.

Where did you get that fact from Dan?
Depends how you look at it.

We are still short in key areas like a physio. You could make an argument that we have spent the last few years woefully understaffed. In particular, I am confident given the awful waste of cash over the last few years due to mismanagement, the appointment of a CEO will be saving us money.

Molesley was famously lampooned for his coaching team but on the other hand Sol had the bare minimum - Andy Cole as a part-time coach and Hreidarsson as an assistant. No DoF (although RD was still involved in some respect), no CEO, no head of recruitment.

Feel like Southend are a bit like the NHS with too many people in management positions and not enough/top quality players (too many chiefs not enough indians). It’s great to have more experience however look how experienced our squad is and most of the experienced ones are the **** ones. We need to get some steel in midfield, decent winger who can cross the ball, another pacy CB and a new right back ASAP. Until then we can have all the experience in the world but we will still be fighting relegation. My other concern is what will happen if Stan/Tom disagree with Kev/John as these are some big egos and will all to an extent want their own way. Hopefully the structure is this is your side of things and this is ours and we won’t step on each other’s toes but I’m not sure that is going to be the case.
So you want us to perform the extremely difficult task of signing players... the RIGHT players, but you're critical of the club for bringing in the people who should facilitate that happening?

It all seems a bit odd to me ........ but then I'm still clinging to the hope that we go back to a 4-4-2 formation with proper wingers & overlapping full backs. And what is all this about having so many substitutes ..........

I'll go back to my stamp collection, shall I?

"I’ve come in as head of football, but the manager is the head of the football. It’s all around the manager. My job is to give him as much help, information and knowledge as possible, as well as setting up a proper scouting system.

"I don’t know what has gone on before, but I can bring in selected scouts that have worked for me for years that will come and work for Southend. Scouts that have found me some unbelievable players. I hope they will find the same for Kev.”

So it sounds like his role kind of merges with a head of recruitment which is what he was doing at Daggers, but given his experience and Mahers lack of in terms of being manager I guess the club didn't want to minimise his potential influence to just recruitment. As he says, he is there to just pass on information and support to Maher.

Think it'll prove to be a good move.

Mr Martin all of a sudden finds money to burn!! Has he been to the pawnbrokers or is this his usual smoke and mirrors trick?
All of the new management signings and funding thereof just does not add up.
If we were a well run club with a clear budget then this would all be great but.........
He was paying about 8 salaries with all Moleseys wing men, he's probably saving a fortune now

We are still short in key areas like a physio. You could make an argument that we have spent the last few years woefully understaffed. In particular, I am confident given the awful waste of cash over the last few years due to mismanagement, the appointment of a CEO will be saving us money.

Molesley was famously lampooned for his coaching team but on the other hand Sol had the bare minimum - Andy Cole as a part-time coach and Hreidarsson as an assistant. No DoF (although RD was still involved in some respect), no CEO, no head of recruitment.
There was no money to sign players so no head of recruitment was a wise money saving move!

Thanks for posting but I'm sure that Dagenham and Luton fans would, conversely, have some positive things to say about JS. Regards his return to Barnet, he still achieved a 48.3% win percentage, the highest of his managerial career (according to Wiki) so some of the things he did must've paid off. He knows the league, that's for sure .. I see him more in an advisory role and overseeing scouting so zero input on how we'll play .. you'd hope. We have 3 capable coaches already looking after that.
We've got some good things to say about him - for what he achieved in 1997-1999 in the first of 3 stints with us (2nd saw us relegated to the Conference). Made it the play offs in Div 2 (may even be the season of the famous Southend red card own goal head butt incident with Greg Heald and maybe Martin Carruthers from memory?). But there were plenty of 'Still Out' chants for a couple of seasons.

His most recent stint saw W9 L10 D4 leaving us mid table with a top 2 budget. DC propelled us up the table (along with a couple of astute signings like Paul McCallum and James Dunne before his legs fell off).

But it sounds like he's just doing back office stuff, which is fine for you.

He was paying about 8 salaries with all Moleseys wing men, he's probably saving a fortune now
I think you will find any saving is down to Tom .That was one of the best person to bring to the club to help sort out the mess of the clubs finances .And he seems to be doing a good job .Shame he was not in during Browns time .He might have seen where he was wasting the money .Bringing in players he really shouldnt have .

No need for a head of recruitment if you’re under an embargo and unable to register any players for your entire managerial stint…

And to think a deal for Ron’s first choice collapsed because his head of recruitment pulled out….
Molesley wasn’t over staffed. He was trying to re-stock a football set-up that had shrunk over a number of years as people left (often after not being paid on time) and weren’t replaced as our finances were out of control. The idea that a supposedly professional football club wouldn’t have an analyst when even our youth team is required to have one under FA minimum standards for academies is ridiculous.

Back