• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News John Still becomes Head of Football at SUFC

The way I see it is that Stan is an advisor and support for Tom, and John Still is an advisor for Kev.

I think in reality Kev, Stan and Still will work quite closely to identify improvements needed in the squad. They'll need to agree a plan before it's then raised with Ron for sign-off.

I don't think it's possible for too many experienced and highly qualified people to be involved in work on our short, medium, and long-term strategy. Each will bring different ideas and having both Stan and John Still IMO will be very helpful.

The rebuild begins.

To be clear I'm not neccesarily criticising the appointment, if the club thinks the role is needed and he's the right person then go for it. Just really curious as to what the lines of responsibility and accountability are, particularly on recruitment where it seems like a lot of people have (or think they have) a big role.

I don't think it is a case of too many cooks.....

As long as the management teams roles are clearly defined and as John Still says in his interview, he brings a team of scouts who have worked with him for years and will now work with him for Southend. He will be setting up a scouting network as part of his remit, to find players, put them forward to head Coach Kev, OR Kev will suggest a position he sees as we are lacking in the squad, John Still sets wheels in motion scouting for that position or type of player.

No crossovers or interference. And all the time the coaching team carry on coaching with the squad that is in place and start winning games.

Add to that Stan's role...So he has contact from club X, having opened and rebuilt our relationship with them and they offer a player to us on loan/permanent, he passes it to Kev who likes the look of him scouting team start looking at him, if he doesn't it goes no further. We want to loan a player out, Stan can again use his contacts to see if a suitable club would want him.

Plus Stan supporting commercial and media teams.

Again no crossovers, just an efficient functioning football club, which is what we all have been crying out for. Whether the structure will appeal to all on here, I doubt, as some may have valid reservations, but surely (Stop calling me Shirley), this MUST be a step forward compared to the last 5 years of drifting from gamble and finger in the air appointments, with weak structures and without the personnel at the club to get it running, rather than firefighting all the time?

Before it is totally derided, let's all give it a chance to start functioning say until the start of January, and then compare where we are in all aspects as a club, compared to where we were earlier in the season?

In the last 3 years we have had more chiefs than wins. We also had plenty of Indians but what we really lack is Braves.

Someone who will win a header in their own box or block a shot. A player who wont let the oppos striker have two touches in our box then score with his third. That takes care of 70% of goals conceded.

A defensive midfielder who can be bothered and a forward that can stay onside and on their feet......You never know visitors to RH might just have to get the war paint out, rather than smoke their peace pipe.

20 million in debt and we struggle to pay most if any of our creditors so I still cannot see how Mr Martin is going to pay for all of this!

Stan has published a list of clubs he has been in contact with, most if not all significantly higher in the football pyramid than we are now - that to me is where his strength lies.

John Still presumably has a list of contacts as long as Stan's but I would hazard a guess that many of those may be lower than we are now.

Put the two together and we should be pretty well connected across the whole of the English professional and semi-professional game!

Stan has published a list of clubs he has been in contact with, most if not all significantly higher in the football pyramid than we are now - that to me is where his strength lies.

John Still presumably has a list of contacts as long as Stan's but I would hazard a guess that many of those may be lower than we are now.

Put the two together and we should be pretty well connected across the whole of the English professional and semi-professional game!

Yep. It’s been a long time (if ever) that we have had a scouting network as comprehensive as this. It will take time, but will hopefully deliver us a nice mix of ready made quality for now and some future gems that will earn us some serious cash.

I think we have every right to worry, given our historical and current financial state
Why? What can we do about it?

And whilst it's understandable that people may have concerns regarding the financing given the history, it's no-one on this boards responsibility.

Ron may not have tons of money, but he does have access to it when necessary, otherwise we would have been in administration many years ago. I'm not saying the way he has run the club has been right or correct, but we haven't gone bust yet and he has been in charge 25+ years.

I'm not concerned regarding the current finances. We have a CEO that is responsible for that and I'm sure he would not allow it to happen if we couldn't afford it.

Really does feel like Ron is trying his best to put in place somewhat of a dream team. So credit is due there. Although it slightly concerns me he is doing this because of the court case.

How can you call a scouting team too many cooks? It's a whole different department that we didn't have before?

Some of the opinions and things people come up sometimes make absolutely no sense what so ever.

Deadly combo in the making..... Stan contacts with higher clubs for potential loans and still magic when it comes to finding gems from random small clubs down the pyramid. Next summer could be very interesting when it comes to recruitment.

Deadly combo in the making..... Stan contacts with higher clubs for potential loans and still magic when it comes to finding gems from random small clubs down the pyramid. Next summer could be very interesting when it comes to recruitment.

Indeed because if we don't get our act together soon, we well be playing random teams from down the pyramid.

Back