• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News John Still becomes Head of Football at SUFC

We must now have the best management team and setup in the whole of the league. We would’ve all wet ourselves six months ago if we knew we’d have Kev, Darren, Benno, Stan and John at the club, plus a great CEO. Things are definitely looking better.

The only thing missing now is some quality playing staff. Hopefully we’ll get some reinforcements in soon and start heading in the right direction. If we can supplement proven quality with some young, non-league Essex talent, it’ll be a joy to watch.

Very true. Would take 4th from bottom now with complete rebuild in the summer.
I'm a little more optimistic than that - start a rebuild this December/January so that we have some momentum come the summer & can attract further players over the summer ......... a good start to the season & then move on to world domination if possible.

A good appointment I think but I have to say I was a bit more excited by the other recruitment department candidate Stan had been referring to.

I'm a little more optimistic than that - start a rebuild this December/January so that we have some momentum come the summer & can attract further players over the summer ......... a good start to the season & then move on to world domination if possible.
Is Ron selling to middle east billionaire ?. Iv always had a dream of sufc being in the champions league. Bring on real madrid in 10 years at FF stadium ?

In the last 3 years we have had more chiefs than wins. We also had plenty of Indians but what we really lack is Braves.

Someone who will win a header in their own box or block a shot. A player who wont let the oppos striker have two touches in our box then score with his third. That takes care of 70% of goals conceded.

A defensive midfielder who can be bothered and a forward that can stay onside and on their feet......You never know visitors to RH might just have to get the war paint out, rather than smoke their peace pipe.

But I thought we had (the clearly past it) James Dunne? Not to mention Abu Ogogo (when he's not banned or injured)? :Winking:

I don't think it is a case of too many cooks.....

As long as the management teams roles are clearly defined and as John Still says in his interview, he brings a team of scouts who have worked with him for years and will now work with him for Southend. He will be setting up a scouting network as part of his remit, to find players, put them forward to head Coach Kev, OR Kev will suggest a position he sees as we are lacking in the squad, John Still sets wheels in motion scouting for that position or type of player.

No crossovers or interference. And all the time the coaching team carry on coaching with the squad that is in place and start winning games.

Add to that Stan's role...So he has contact from club X, having opened and rebuilt our relationship with them and they offer a player to us on loan/permanent, he passes it to Kev who likes the look of him scouting team start looking at him, if he doesn't it goes no further. We want to loan a player out, Stan can again use his contacts to see if a suitable club would want him.

Plus Stan supporting commercial and media teams.

Again no crossovers, just an efficient functioning football club, which is what we all have been crying out for. Whether the structure will appeal to all on here, I doubt, as some may have valid reservations, but surely (Stop calling me Shirley), this MUST be a step forward compared to the last 5 years of drifting from gamble and finger in the air appointments, with weak structures and without the personnel at the club to get it running, rather than firefighting all the time?

Before it is totally derided, let's all give it a chance to start functioning say until the start of January, and then compare where we are in all aspects as a club, compared to where we were earlier in the season?
Very interesting news about John Still and his scouting network. I think this development must mean that Anton Robinson will be moving on to another club in the not too distant future.

Very interesting news about John Still and his scouting network. I think this development must mean that Anton Robinson will be moving on to another club in the not too distant future.

I agree, that's how it would seem. Aldershot maybe?
Seems that he is staying for now. Think Kev quite likes him and that perhaps Anton's work and opinions weren't valued under the previous regime.

Why does everyone assume this guy is useless?
Until we know who was NOT signed following his recommendation I do not see how anyone can form an opinion as to his capabilities.
There is surely more to it than who joined the club over a period.

Why does everyone assume this guy is useless?
Until we know who was NOT signed following his recommendation I do not see how anyone can form an opinion as to his capabilities.
There is surely more to it than who joined the club over a period.
Everyone except the poster immediately above you. And a few others who recently questioned whether he is or isn't entirely at fault.

I guess being Head of Recruitment at a club who haven't really invested in an infrastructure to support that might be frustrating and limiting. Did he have any ability to do something about that?

In the end if Stan, John and Kev are happy we should be. If not then I guess the hitherto expected goodbye will become a reality.

Last edited:
I have just read the John Still interview, and I have now gone from being overjoyed at this appointment to being slightly concerned.

He admits to being a Dagenham fan.

I can't recall the name of the poster and can't find the actual post, but someone on here warned us of the dangers of signing ex Dagenham players. It appears that they are all conditioned in some way to hate Southend.

Isn't it just as dangerous then to sign an ex Dagenham manager? For all we know, he could have been involved in the conditioning.

I have just read the John Still interview, and I have now gone from being overjoyed at this appointment to being slightly concerned.

He admits to being a Dagenham fan.

I can't recall the name of the poster and can't find the actual post, but someone on here warned us of the dangers of signing ex Dagenham players. It appears that they are all conditioned in some way to hate Southend.

Isn't it just as dangerous then to sign an ex Dagenham manager? For all we know, he could have been involved in the conditioning.
You do realise Kevin Maher played for Dagenham, Darren Currie played for Dagenham (worse still he was at West Ham!)? They are professionals first and foremost. It really does not matter one jot. And I suspect it matters to very very few on here either.

You do realise Kevin Maher played for Dagenham, Darren Currie played for Dagenham (worse still he was at West Ham!)? They are professionals first and foremost. It really does not matter one jot. And I suspect it matters to very very few on here either.
Okay, I'll stop worrying then.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Back