• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United defender John White is set to sign a one year deal to stay with the Shrimpers, Echosport understands.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good news at last after a bad week all round.

Great news this IMO. Top pro and can still play at L1 level.

Ok I'm glad White is signing the contract but I'm not sure he'll be in the starting 11 or first choice much as others are better players all round, a good 2nd choice right back tho to have as back up.

Was very impressive coming in at CB when I saw him to- another player who you only notice what he brings when he isn't their- and two footed.

Although he is a genuine type of player we do need a bit more quality if we are serious about making a challenge for the top places next season.

As people will know I don't like the idea of "squad" players - either a player is good enough to hold down a position in the team or they can't ......... if they can't, then why keep the player?

As for John White in particular - a good professional and has played well for Southend on many occasions - that John can cover both right back and has shown he is able to play centrally is good to have.

On balance, I am pleased that he is staying - it adds a little more stability as well (I don't like all this churning of players) and he has an experienced head on his shoulders. :thumbsup:

Good news.

If John's brief cameos last season are anything to go by he is certainly improving with age.

two players at the back along side each other that lack any great pace will get found out in league one, maybe get away with it in league two, that's why Barrett got found out in league one:'(

Thompson never had a great deal of pace? White has had, as a RB he made frequent runs down the wing. He may have slowed a little, but not by much.

Thompson never had a great deal of pace? White has had, as a RB he made frequent runs down the wing. He may have slowed a little, but not by much.
thomson is much quicker than White and that's why Thomson and anton complement each other well, think white is a solid right back in a 4-4-2 but is no wing back and not as good as Demi:thumbsup:

White always impressed me at centre back. His reading of the game is excellent and if he had Inniss' physique, he'd be one hell of a player.

On the flip side if Ryan Innis had John White's physique, he'd be a bin man

White re-signs

Good news imo

Back