• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Enough is enough, since his shoulder injury not been the same player. Poor performance at centre half playing hoof ball and should have cost us a goal ,saved by Bentley. At full back decent enough defender but gives us nothing going forward. Time to lose the captaincy John and take a long holiday.

Enough is enough, since his shoulder injury not been the same player. Poor performance at centre half playing hoof ball and should have cost us a goal ,saved by Bentley. At full back decent enough defender but gives us nothing going forward. Time to lose the captaincy John and take a long holiday.

Fully agree. Some of Brown's recent decisions baffle me and this was another. Presumably Brown wanted to try Lenny at RB but felt he couldn't drop his captain. YES YOU CAN! He is not a CB and he is not a captain. He has no leadership skills, is not verbal enough and most of his passes over 20 yards end up as throw ins.

Defensively he is often very good but his distribution is woeful. ...in fact it's not that good. He just kicks it hard and high anywhere it's really starting to annoy me

Yes, I'll bite.....simply can't believe this vilification of one of our most consistent players. Last season Brown said he would have been one of his considerations for player of the season. He's the same player this season, whole hearted and consistently getting a boot or a head in to stop oppo players having a shot. He gets assists, several last season, and has been prevented from doing as well this year by inconsistent players playing ahead of him, so having to rely more on defensive duties than getting forward. He can cross the ball, and cross the ball well, in fact, better than some of those who you would normally expect to.

People may not think he is the best captain material on the pitch, but there's more to being a good captain than what goes on on the pitch. Prosser is the natural leader of the back line, and is better placed to be so, from the centre of defence and also being taller. I just don't get this scape goating that people always seem to want to partake in, at least not where someone who has genuinely played his best is concerned.

John is one of the most honest and dedicated players you could ever meet, he is never going to be a world beater but he rarely has a really bad game, most Colchester fans would love him back at the WHCS. He is not going to shout at players or give them a hard time on the pitch but his experience shines through in the dressing room, and you will often see him having a quiet word or marshalling the players around him on the pitch. Brown knows what he is doing, John is an decent experienced pro who will set a good example to the other players in the squad.

I believe there are around 20 players that look worse than the player they really are at the moment. The play lacks consistency and cohesiveness. To me it appears that the team are not so enchanted with the way they are asked to play and look bereft of clue and confidence.

The wonderful OBL :Worthy:, is right about scapegoating. If the players are to be blamed then they should all take responsibility as not a one has performed to his best on every occasion. The buck stops with the manager on matters related to play.

Perhaps if JW should do anything as a leader, he should lead a line of players to PB's office to explain in no uncertain terms what is going wrong. As for Ron he needs to let his manager know that if things do not change the The Tango, Can Go!

Fully agree. This bad run is all down to John White :witch Hunt:

I believe there are around 20 players that look worse than the player they really are at the moment.

Exactly. When a right back is being selected at centre half, ahead of 2 fit centre halves, it's the manager that has questions to answer, not the player.

Think that's harsh. He is a committed pro. He just isn't a centre half. Is it his fault that Brown plays him out of position?

He is a steady 7 out of 10 each week at right back, but I agree that he should hand the armband to timlin or someone like deegan.

He's being played out of position, it's a bit unfair to blame him when he isn't used to being in the centre of defence.

Yes, I'll bite.....simply can't believe this vilification of one of our most consistent players. Last season Brown said he would have been one of his considerations for player of the season. He's the same player this season, whole hearted and consistently getting a boot or a head in to stop oppo players having a shot. He gets assists, several last season, and has been prevented from doing as well this year by inconsistent players playing ahead of him, so having to rely more on defensive duties than getting forward. He can cross the ball, and cross the ball well, in fact, better than some of those who you would normally expect to.

People may not think he is the best captain material on the pitch, but there's more to being a good captain than what goes on on the pitch. Prosser is the natural leader of the back line, and is better placed to be so, from the centre of defence and also being taller. I just don't get this scape goating that people always seem to want to partake in, at least not where someone who has genuinely played his best is concerned.
LOL what does height have to do with being a captain?!

LOL what does height have to do with being a captain?!

I read that as height being important for leading the back line. If you take it as intended, it makes sense.

Otherwise, I also thought OBL's post was absolutely spot on. I think some people are so used to scapegoating after a bad run that they don't even realise they're doing it.

I read that as height being important for leading the back line. If you take it as intended, it makes sense.

Otherwise, I also thought OBL's post was absolutely spot on. I think some people are so used to scapegoating after a bad run that they don't even realise they're doing it.

Maybe. I still don't really think that you need height to be a good leader in defence, although it does naturally mean you're attacking the ball and able to lead a bit by example (which is IMO the most important attribute for a captain, being able to consistently display what you want the team to be doing, by doing it yourself).

Scapegoating/anti-scapegoating, I think White has underperformed in the last 6 months (the little I've seen and the lot I've read and watched on youtube). His pass-back header on Saturday was atrocious and he deserves criticism for almost gifting a goal.

YB said on the other thread that it seems to have been a mistake to make him captain and build the side around him and I have to agree.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about JW, a model pro who the players looks up to, I’ve heard it from sources at Colchester and Southend. I’ve also met the guy in person and his passion for Southend United cannot be questioned. IMO JW is the kind of captain I’d like to play for

JW made a mistake on Saturday with the pass back which we got away with, but It's more worrying that he was there in the first place, if we had injuries then fine I accept that he has to play there at Luton away, but we had two CH on the bench and one of these should have been playing and JW should have been at right back and this would have made Lenny available for a more attacking role....this was done to the inept and clueless decision by Brown and that's the bottom line, but brown gave his reasons why in the echo and sounded even more crazy, he was worried that Thompson might have got another yellow card, FFS Brown stop tinkering with the Defence keep it simple.....RB CH CH LB.......the right players in the right positions unless there is a player Banned or injured :angry:

haha same old same old, i actually think white is pretty consistent never amazing but never poor.
thought he dont alright at CB also

Back