• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is not a moan or a rant about John White, I just want to know what are people views on him leading the team?

I feel that the recent result have shown again that white is not a good enough leader and when the going get tough he seems to go missing. I have never once seen him trying to get the team going and rally everyone.

I'm far from a big John White fan, but I think he's been superb lately. Today he was poor, but no worse than anybody else and spent the last 30 minutes playing out of position.

Whether he should be captain or not is a different matter, I prefer a Timlin style motivator and loud talker who can get in the refs ear when needed, but White is a good captain of a different mould who leads by example and I don't think his captaining of the side has been any different lately to how it has been since appointed.

Weird question, everyone was raving about him a few days ago, mind you would like to look at the pass back that led to the corner for their second goal again.....

I'm far from a big John White fan, but I think he's been superb lately. Today he was poor, but no worse than anybody else and spent the last 30 minutes playing out of position.

Whether he should be captain or not is a different matter, I prefer a Timlin style motivator and loud talker who can get in the refs ear when needed, but White is a good captain of a different mould who leads by example and I don't think his captaining of the side has been any different lately to how it has been since appointed.

JW is one of those players that you think you may not miss until he's not there. He wins more tackles than he loses and he is consistently reliable I think. Some may not agree, but whilst he isn't as vocal as others in the squad he'll do as captain for me, a view which Phil Brown and the rest of the squad agrees with.

Whatever some of you think of him, the fact JW does so well in the Players' Player vote shows the regard in which the rest of his team-mates hold him.

It's not JUST about what we see in matches. And today he was better than the majority of his team-mates.

Whatever some of you think of him, the fact JW does so well in the Players' Player vote shows the regard in which the rest of his team-mates hold him.

It's not JUST about what we see in matches. And today he was better than the majority of his team-mates.

Players' Player awards are little more than a popularity contest.

John White, in my opinion, is an average but solid player and seems a good guy off the pitch, but often goes quiet during games. Something that bugs me is how he leaves it to other players/defenders to organise the team at set pieces. Also his solid but basic technique and lack of ability to play quick and short passes (like Coker) mean that in poor conditions or when under pressure he can be very wasteful in possession.

Last edited:
This is not a moan or a rant about John White, I just want to know what are people views on him leading the team?

I feel that the recent result have shown again that white is not a good enough leader and when the going get tough he seems to go missing. I have never once seen him trying to get the team going and rally everyone.

I have to disagree with your second paragraph. I be.eive he is a good leader and he leads by example. Just because someone comes across as slightly quieter it does mean that cannot lead. In a team it is about having respect which I be,eive the players have for John. I know sometimes it seems he is not "bellowing" but I have often just watch him and you can see him trying to psych up the others. Unfortunately, at the present time I do not think any of the players particularly stand out.

John White is not a captain end of. You want your captain to be shouting all game much like Prosser does but John White is quieter than a church mouse in a nunnery

John White is not a captain end of. You want your captain to be shouting all game much like Prosser does but John White is quieter than a church mouse in a nunnery

No you don't, plenty of other captains don't "bellow" all game. We actually have organisers in each department, it's just we're missing the most important one in Timlin.

Personally I hope Leonard gets the armband at the end of the season.

No probs from me, JW is generally solid and reliable. Bad day today, but then no one was good so, harsh to blame him too much.

Deeeeeeeeeegan
I truly hope not. Become a cult hero because of very short shorts and very long beard. If you were to ask me what I associate him with on the pitch it is getting stuck in (mostly illegally). Think he is lucky to make the bench, which when Wordsworth, Timlin and Weston are back, he won't.

On the whole, Im happy with John White as captain, and see no reason for a change at this stage, however should JW become long term injured or leave the club during the transfer window for what ever reason, im more than happy for Adam Barrett to relinquish the role of captain of the team until the end of the season, as captain, he has done an excellent job with a good success rate (promotions etc) in the past both for us and Gillingham.

Last edited:
On the whole, Im happy with John White as captain, and see no reason for a change at this stage, however should JW become long term injured or leave the club during the transfer window for what ever reason, im more than happy for Adam Barrett to relinquish the role of captain of the team until the end of the season, as captain, he has done an excellent job with a good success rate (promotions etc) in the past both for us and Gillingham.
Not sure you mean "relinquish" - and I am pretty sure that Tims would take it if he were playing.

Deeeeeeeeeegan

Really? He was absolutely bloody useless today, worse than White IMO. Is your idea of a good captain a headless chicken giving away needless free kicks and yellow cards?

Why the W block cheered his name for giving away a free kick on the edge of the box is beyond me :nope:.

Last edited:
If there was a player of 2015 award my vote would be for John White. I like his style of captaincy, those that think you have to shout have never played higher than pub football.

Last week against Millwall Coker was easily beaten by their number 10?. When JW went to left back he kept the lad quiet, but of course as we lost and Coker is a favourite so that move went unnoticed.

First job of a full-back is always to defend and JW has definitely been our most consistent, which is why O'Neil has only played when he's injured.

Back