• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mfurok

Manager⭐
In the last game and a half that he has played he has been superb despite coming onto the field with little or no warning and not having played for weeks.

Well done John.

In the last game and a half that he has played he has been superb despite coming onto the field with little or no warning and not having played for weeks.

Well done John.
Agreed and should start the next game with Thompson if Ferdinand is not fit. He was superb at Fleetwood.

Have heard a rumour that he may be back off to Colchester at the end of the season. I've liked having him at Southend, I know others have, but I've never seen him be anything other than solid and dependable and a model pro.

Have heard a rumour that he may be back off to Colchester at the end of the season. I've liked having him at Southend, I know others have, but I've never seen him be anything other than solid and dependable and a model pro.

I have heard he wants out of Southend, probably due to lack of games but not that he might be coming back to us. We do have an incredible amount of injured defensive players at present (Well actually all over the pitch!) but once they are fit this/next season I don't really think we would need him.

I've always rated him .... he's 100% committed , never has a bad game , never lets you down. Doesnt make mistakes or takes risks yet got unfairly scapegoated + treated unfairly by the manager. HE is miles better than Inness , and pushes Thompson + Ferdinand hard as well as being an excellent full back on both sides. We should give him more games + sign him on a longer contract ... Reliable , Versatile players like John White dont come along too often.

Reads the game well so good positional sense and decent in the air,but can get found out by a fast or tricky winger e.g. horrible away at Wigan last season.Best position= on the right of a back 3.Demetrious best position is wing-back.

If we accept that 'defending' is the primary function of any player in the back line , then John White is light years ahead of our current RB.
Overlapping and marauding forward are all part of the full backs role , so I see why many prefer Demitriou , but not for me I'm afraid.
Well done John White for being a model pro.

Reads the game well so good positional sense and decent in the air,but can get found out by a fast or tricky winger e.g. horrible away at Wigan last season.Best position= on the right of a back 3.Demetrious best position is wing-back.

I agree with that and suppose there is 2 sides to this coin and conundrum. White is a much more able defender than Demetriou who can easily be brushed off the ball defending. Whilst I am delighted we are up there amongst the leagues top scorers for a change, we concede rather easily at times, mainly because Mc Glashen, Wordsworth and Demetriou love to get forward but are very limited defensively so with these 3 we are going to concede, whilst on the other hand, the benefit going forward is clear. I would like to see how able Amos is, as i understand he can also interchange with Lenny for holding or belting forward . With Mc Laughlin back , who has improved all round but especially in defensive covering, I feel we would have better balance without losing the attacking threat

Isn't that the type of player every team needs from at least one defender...................I think he's a little more than that as he does have some stand out performances. Fleetwood as mentioned earlier was one.

I've always rated him .... he's 100% committed , never has a bad game , never lets you down. Doesnt make mistakes or takes risks yet got unfairly scapegoated + treated unfairly by the manager. HE is miles better than Inness , and pushes Thompson + Ferdinand hard as well as being an excellent full back on both sides. We should give him more games + sign him on a longer contract ... Reliable , Versatile players like John White dont come along too often.

I wouldn't agree on those statements in bold. Every player does all those things from time to time. Don't get me started on the Herbal Life shenanigans either.

That said, I'd prefer him in the CB position over Inniss every day of the week

John White is exactly the sort of player you want in your squad. He is a reliable defender who can play at full back or centre back. However with everyone fit he will not be regular starter.

It depends on what John wants with the rest of his career. He dropped down from League One when he joined us from Colchester and may have to do the same again if he wants regular first team football.

He is only 30 so I would expect playing regularly is going to be his priority.

I wouldn't agree on those statements in bold. Every player does all those things from time to time. Don't get me started on the Herbal Life shenanigans either.

That said, I'd prefer him in the CB position over Inniss every day of the week

to be fair, Inniss is only 21 and will improve with age. (Or end up in non league obscurity)

Never realised there were so many of John White's family registered on ShrimperZone.

He's a hard working professional but surely that's the minimum you'd expect as a Southend supporter. League 1 is way above his level and Brown has done the right thing by replacing him with the far better Demetriou.

Never realised there were so many of John White's family registered on ShrimperZone.

He's a hard working professional but surely that's the minimum you'd expect as a Southend supporter. League 1 is way above his level and Brown has done the right thing by replacing him with the far better Demetriou.

Disagree on two points there, firstly, I don't think he looks out of his depth in league one at all and secondly, is Demetriou really such an upgrade?

Disagree on two points there, firstly, I don't think he looks out of his depth in league one at all and secondly, is Demetriou really such an upgrade?

Demetriou is excellent going forward and was a winger and midfielder at Orient.

Full back - not really.

Back