• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

White is better defensively than Demetriou. I personally like a White at CB now as his main weakness is he can get outpaced by a fast winger and with Barrett retiring and Inniss looking a very poor player, currently we need him as a back up for the Ferdinand/Thompson partnership. I hope he stays and god knows why he is further down the pecking order than Inniss....who looks like a Ryman League player to me.

For me the jury is still out on Demetriou...bit lightweight for me and has been exposed last few games without Atkimson covering...good going forward however...

I am not sure Brown manages players who falll out of favour that well....

Disagree on two points there, firstly, I don't think he looks out of his depth in league one at all and secondly, is Demetriou really such an upgrade?

I think in most League 1 teams probably not, for a League One defender he gets beaten far too easily and really needs to work on that in the Summer. I think he works in our side though because we are an attacking side nowadays and there probably aren't many full backs in the league that can go forward like he can, it's a risk defensively but it suits our tactics.

I found it astounding people think he is out of his depth in League One. I saw him at Fleetwood and he was superb, although it did irk me that one of our 'fans' was constantly slagging him off when he was on the ball. He deserves more starts.

If he does go back to Colchester he will be a player well-liked by supporters of both Essex teams - not many of them around!

Disagree on two points there, firstly, I don't think he looks out of his depth in league one at all and secondly, is Demetriou really such an upgrade?

The combination of Demetriou and Atkinson on the right hand side is far better than any combination of John White and A N Other, IMO. John White is better defensively than Demetriou, but Demetriou has far more to his game.

when we talk about reliability, and more importantly flexibility, then I'm really glad be have JW in the senior squad. His ability to fit into various defensive positions is just what we need at the moment. As a defender he is FL1 quality in my view. He isn't as cute going forward as Demetriou but as an out and out defender he has a lot going for him.

He was outstanding second half against Gills. Although to be fair against that lot I might have looked pretty good also.
Still coming to terms to how even with a 2 goal start they managed to win. They were abject....

I found it astounding people think he is out of his depth in League One. I saw him at Fleetwood and he was superb, although it did irk me that one of our 'fans' was constantly slagging him off when he was on the ball. He deserves more starts.

If he does go back to Colchester he will be a player well-liked by supporters of both Essex teams - not many of them around!

Mario Walsh surely:winking:

The combination of Demetriou and Atkinson on the right hand side is far better than any combination of John White and A N Other, IMO. John White is better defensively than Demetriou, but Demetriou has far more to his game.

Fair point, but to say JW is out of his depth is way off the mark. Think most would agree he is the better defender out of the two.

Always turns up, always plays to the best of his capability. As others have said, a model pro. Given some of the dross I've watched playing for Southend over the years I never cease to be amazed at how some "fans" can take issue with a player like White, or Will Atkinson for that matter. When his time at Southend is up he'll leave with achievement of having captained us to promotion, which is far more than most ever manage.

Great squad option as an alternative or back-up. If he's not happy with that, then let him go, top professional who deserves that respect.

I am not sure Brown manages players who falll out of favour that well....

I'm not convinced that Brown does it noticeably better or worse than any other of his peers. Almost impossible conundrum at any club - but particularly those that are experiencing success with a reasonably settled side. That is how teams are gradually improved I guess - players coming in replacing lesser/older players going out. I'd be happy with Demetriou and O'Neill + 1xyouth team fighting for the No 2 shirt come the start of next season. Healthy competition and succession planning.

I'm not convinced that Brown does it noticeably better or worse than any other of his peers. Almost impossible conundrum at any club - but particularly those that are experiencing success with a reasonably settled side. That is how teams are gradually improved I guess - players coming in replacing lesser/older players going out. I'd be happy with Demetriou and O'Neill + 1xyouth team fighting for the No 2 shirt come the start of next season. Healthy competition and succession planning.

Depends on how the season is progressing. We've done well this year after an iffy start, and are very much on the front foot most games. If we were in a relegation battle and struggling to keep clean sheets, Demetriou and O'Neill may be a little lightweight and I rather suspect we'd be after a right back who could shut up shop.

Back