• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realise that you prefer to use various criteria, but that wasn't the original question. You made a comment, and I quote...

with Labour having to pick up the pieces of the mess made of the economy

I queried this by asking when Labour had previously left the economy in a better condition than when they took over.

Firstly you rattled off a load of dates, and then, when questioned on the validity of these, you claim that they weren't actually in answer to the first question at all, and that you basically decided to answer a different question?

I guess the football equivalent would be the following...

Q. Who has scored the most goals for Southend?

A. Paul Sansome.

Q. WTF?

A. Being a footballer's not all about scoring goals.

Nothing wrong with my memory, thanks.Just your interpretation of modern British history.
In 1951 the Labour Govenment bequeathed the NHS to a grateful nation,amongst a great deal of other monumental, landmark legislation.In 1964 Labour inherited a clapped out, unmodernised economy from Churchill,Macmillan and Home.A Tory Government brought to its knees by a squalid sexual scandal(I can still remember TW3-chortle).In 1974 Heath asked the British public Who Governs?To which the reply was not you mate.
You'll remember before last year's GE there was a worldwide economic and banking crisis which caused many countries(not just the UK) to run up record levels of debt.

Maybe not your memory, but your interpretation. I'm not sure about 1951, but the fact that the Conservatives won two more elections, despite events like Suez would suggest Labour (as ever) left the country in a state of financial penury. As I've said the Wilson government devalued Sterling in 1967, handing a bankrupt country to grocer Heath in 1970. To take your point about Heath losing in 74, no difference than 2010 no party won an outright majority, and Wilson governed as a minority adminsitartion, before being propped up by the LibLab pact. During this term Healey had to go cap in hand to the IMF to save the country being declared bankrupt. Hence 18 years of Conservative government which actually bequesthed New Labour a golden financial legacy, with year on year growth.

Then came Prudence "no more boom and bust" Brown, while I accept that the banking crisis can't be entirely laid at the door of Labour, but prior to it thecountry was spending money it didn't have by borrowing. The result of course a record deficit. You may start to get my drift now, 1951 Banrupt, 1970 Bankrupt, 1979Bankrupt & 2010 Bankrupt. I think there's a pattern there.

And finally on a personal note I will never forgive Prudence for his wholesale destruction of our private pensions industry. We are exhorted to save for our old age retirement years, fine I did, and out of my taxed salary, so I could have a good(ish) pension to live, only to have it destroyed by Brown, as myscheme was frozen and finally close. The net result is that I'll get the square root of bugger all when I retire, and I've had to make extra provisons for my retirement. Fine for our politicians, and those public sector workers who have gold plated index linked pensions. Not so for the working man that Labour should be there to defend.

I'm not sure about 1951, but the fact that the Conservatives won two more elections, despite events like Suez would suggest Labour (as ever) left the country in a state of financial penury.

I don't know a huge amount about this period, but the pound was devalued in 1949, so I'm guessing things weren't great. Having said that, the war was quite expensive, and the war loans from the US would've started.

I don't know a huge amount about this period, but the pound was devalued in 1949, so I'm guessing things weren't great. Having said that, the war was quite expensive, and the war loans from the US would've started.

the war - who won the war - a Tory! cant remember the last war we won under Labour.

Indeed rationing continued into the 50's. And our war debt to the US was only finally paid off a few years ago.

Maybe not your memory, but your interpretation. I'm not sure about 1951, but the fact that the Conservatives won two more elections, despite events like Suez would suggest Labour (as ever) left the country in a state of financial penury. As I've said the Wilson government devalued Sterling in 1967, handing a bankrupt country to grocer Heath in 1970. To take your point about Heath losing in 74, no difference than 2010 no party won an outright majority, and Wilson governed as a minority adminsitartion, before being propped up by the LibLab pact. During this term Healey had to go cap in hand to the IMF to save the country being declared bankrupt. Hence 18 years of Conservative government which actually bequesthed New Labour a golden financial legacy, with year on year growth.

Then came Prudence "no more boom and bust" Brown, while I accept that the banking crisis can't be entirely laid at the door of Labour, but prior to it thecountry was spending money it didn't have by borrowing. The result of course a record deficit. You may start to get my drift now, 1951 Banrupt, 1970 Bankrupt, 1979Bankrupt & 2010 Bankrupt. I think there's a pattern there.

And finally on a personal note I will never forgive Prudence for his wholesale destruction of our private pensions industry. We are exhorted to save for our old age retirement years, fine I did, and out of my taxed salary, so I could have a good(ish) pension to live, only to have it destroyed by Brown, as myscheme was frozen and finally close. The net result is that I'll get the square root of bugger all when I retire, and I've had to make extra provisons for my retirement. Fine for our politicians, and those public sector workers who have gold plated index linked pensions. Not so for the working man that Labour should be there to defend.

I've got a certain amount of sympathy for your last point, as my best mate in Southend was also badly affected by this, (as of course were many others).He is not however,as a Chief Accountant, a typical example of "the working man that Labour should be there to defend." I suspect you're not, either.

Last edited:
I've got a certain amount of sympathy for your last point, as my best mate in Southend was also badly affected by this, (as of course were many others).He is not however,as a Chief Accountant, a typical example of "the working man that Labour should be there to defend." I suspect you're not, either.

Probably not, but that isn't the point. From a personal perspective it had been my intention to retire in 2010. I'm now going to have to soldier on for a few more years yet. However there must be thousands if not 100's of thousands who have had their old age stolen by Brown because their final salary shemes have been closed. I've no beef with public sector workers who may be quite low paid in their working lives getting index linked pensions, good luck to them. But to repeat myself Brown has committed many people to an old age of scrimping and trying to exist on benefits. I doubt if the son of Manse will give a flying one as he sees out his years in his ivory tower with his gold plated pension from his career in public life.

<Originally Posted by BarnaBlue
Scumbag.What makes you think I'd want to waste my time reasoning with you?.

This, of course, was a private comment made to you personally,using the reputation facility,in response to your calling me "a publicity whore".
Frankly,I have no idea why you would want to make my retort public.But since you have,I've decided to put it in context, by revealing your original comment to me.

This, of course, was a private comment made to you personally,using the reputation facility,in response to your calling me "a publicity whore".
Frankly,I have no idea why you would want to make my retort public.But since you have,I've decided to put it in context, by revealing your original comment to me.

I thought it relevant to this particular argument, because you're continuing to refuse to substantiate your accusation with any evidence or reasoning.

actually, to be strictly accurate, he called you an "Attention whore". Still, why worry about getting the details accurate, eh?

and it was a Liberal who won the First World War, bloody war mongers! :raspberry:

Churchill was of course a former Liberal MP. I suppose he was the forerunner to the current coalition, having represented both Liberal and Tory parties as a MP and having done his best work in a coalition.

Rep is a public facility.

You must be really sad if you go around checking other peoples reputation.Get a life.

I only checked to see what ESB was on about, as I couldn't find the quoted piece within the thread. As for the "get a life", well, I'm not the one who starts endless threads by quoting from a Newspaper.

I must be sad? Well, very possibly, but I'm not the one now throwing his toys out of the pram having been found to be a hypocrite with an inability to back up his own arguments. In my honest opinion, resorting to puerile insults is the real "sad" issue here, maybe you should be taking a long hard look at yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back