• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jokes about Islam and other religions (except Christianity)

Although I don't feel comfortable with some types of humour, I'm not very keen on censorship either - provided there is freedom to be equally offensive to everyone. I think in our current culture it is easier to be offensive to Christianity than to other religions especially Islam which is why I highlighted it. However, if we have the freedom on ShrimperZone to be equally offensive to everyone, then I'm happy to drop the subject.

but that's the whole point. i'm happier making jokes at my culture (a christian upbringing) rather than other beliefs.
i dunno why i've been singled out on this thread anyway. i might have stuck a couple of christian related jokes on the other thread but i didn't think they were particularly offensive

but that's the whole point. i'm happier making jokes at my culture (a christian upbringing) rather than other beliefs.
i dunno why i've been singled out on this thread anyway. i might have stuck a couple of christian related jokes on the other thread but i didn't think they were particularly offensive

Haven't seen the gags in question (although I know of your pro-Satan leanings Pubey) but it does seem that religious people take themselves and their views a little bit too seriously.

Should there be special consideration made for religious people, especially those that believe everyone who doesn't agree with them is destined to burn in the fires of hell? (Or variations on the same theme depending on the fairytale you subscribe to.) You have to lighten that particular load somehow...

Although I don't feel comfortable with some types of humour, I'm not very keen on censorship either - provided there is freedom to be equally offensive to everyone. I think in our current culture it is easier to be offensive to Christianity than to other religions especially Islam which is why I highlighted it. However, if we have the freedom on ShrimperZone to be equally offensive to everyone, then I'm happy to drop the subject.

Would you also agree that it is easier to take the mick out of friends than people you don't know so well?

It's definitely easier to take the 'mick' out of people who don't try to blow you up if you offend them.

Likewise those that believe you're condemned to hell for not agreeing with their twisted views? Examine the core beliefs of any religion for 30 seconds and it goes all stoneage, whichever religion you look. Of course this is before they've been watered down and brightened up for 21st century consumption.

I'm not totally convinced by the argument that it's OK to make jokes about your own experiences - on that basis many of the male Zoners must be gay given the number of poof jokes that fly around whenever Brighton are mentioned. There is also the risk that you offend people who hold Christian beliefs more seriously than I'm assuming you now do.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, in starting the thread I was trying to make the point that jokes or negative comments about Christians can often be made on here without attracting much comment but anything similar about other religions especially Islam usually has a number of posters leaping to rebuke the comments - though I don't think that you are usually in that group.
I mentioned you partly because of a couple of jokes you had posted and partly because I was in a rather strange flippant mood when I started this thread - I apologise if I unfairly singled you out.

Likewise those that believe you're condemned to hell for not agreeing with their twisted views? Examine the core beliefs of any religion for 30 seconds and it goes all stoneage, whichever religion you look. Of course this is before they've been watered down and brightened up for 21st century consumption.

Fair point Smudger, but in my religion, I'm content to let God do the smiting. So if I'm wrong, then it's no harm no foul. Islamists like to take on the smiting duties here and now - that's the difference.

Would you also agree that it is easier to take the mick out of friends than people you don't know so well?

I agree as long as if you have Muslim friends you are prepared to make jokes that you know they may regard as offensive or blasphemous.

Personally I hold those sort of twisted stone-age views as I've made clear a number of times over the years on here and make no apologies for doing so.

Fair point Smudger, but in my religion, I'm content to let God do the smiting. So if I'm wrong, then it's no harm no foul. Islamists like to take on the smiting duties here and now - that's the difference.

What amuses me is how many of the "smiters" (is that a word?!) have backgrounds which will send them off to hell (according to their own views) anyway. Have you heard about that Choudary chap and what he got up to at Southampton Uni?

Personally I hold those sort of twisted stone-age views as I've made clear a number of times over the years on here and make no apologies for doing so.

Whatever gets you through the days. I just think it's a bit rich to come on here crying foul when you've made it clear that you believe everyone besides those that agree with your views is destined to burn for eternity. I find that far more offensive than a couple of crap jokes.

I'm not totally convinced by the argument that it's OK to make jokes about your own experiences - on that basis many of the male Zoners must be gay given the number of poof jokes that fly around whenever Brighton are mentioned. There is also the risk that you offend people who hold Christian beliefs more seriously than I'm assuming you now do.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, in starting the thread I was trying to make the point that jokes or negative comments about Christians can often be made on here without attracting much comment but anything similar about other religions especially Islam usually has a number of posters leaping to rebuke the comments - though I don't think that you are usually in that group.
I mentioned you partly because of a couple of jokes you had posted and partly because I was in a rather strange flippant mood when I started this thread - I apologise if I unfairly singled you out.

to be honest I've been one of a few people to mention how the constant homophobic Brighton jokes have got very boring, especially as it seems to still be seen as 'acceptable' in football. Maybe I have upset people with those jokes and I wasn't aware, however it was never my intention. I didn't think they were particularly offensive, but quite witty, which is why i posted them.

If I offended you then I'm sorry, however I don't quite buy this "if it's ok to bash christians, then lets bash everyone" argument that you've set up, it seems a little Old Testament to me! Or maybe I've just missed some ironic statement...

Some days I don't need a crutch, I need a stretcher

I understand my son,say 3 hail marys and put a tenner in the box but remeber a stretcher is only as good as the people carrying it,otherwise you are left lying on the floor looking a fool,god bless from a catholic friend whom wasnt touched by the hand of god.

back to religous jokes, why do jews have big noses? because the airs free

Whatever gets you through the days. I just think it's a bit rich to come on here crying foul when you've made it clear that you believe everyone besides those that agree with your views is destined to burn for eternity. I find that far more offensive than a couple of crap jokes.

If you have managed to follow the admittedly rambling thread of my posts on this I was really trying to establish whether or not we have the freedom on here to offend everyone - or is it a case of its OK to offend some people more than others.
If we are free to be equally offensive to everyone, then I feel offending you is job done.;)

Has anyone seen the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry gets upset because his dentist has converted to Judaism purely for the jokes?

Back