• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

Match Report – Leeds United by Jon Tosh

Late Leeds Comeback Checks Blues Survival Hopes

A packed Roots Hall witnessed an electric game between Leeds and Southend, both looking for the three points that would go a long way towards Championship status next season.

Turning onto Shakespeare Drive I wasn’t sure what to expect, I have been both looking forward and dreading this game for weeks. Now the day was here it seemed that many shared my mixed emotions. A tense crowd filled RH and although a few lads tried to get songs going, I was more busy biting my nails and watching our shooting practice. An almost capacity crowd created one of the best KO atmospheres I have heard at a Saturday match this seasons as the teams came out, and soon my nerves were transformed into anticipation, as like many I shared the belief that on our day Leeds should be no problem to overcome.

Leeds started brightly, not letting Southend into their stride as they looked to make use of their superior aerial and physical team. Kandol had the first real chance for Leeds, putting a free header just wide, which was typical of the squandered chances by the Leeds big-men up front. Southend however quickly found their feet and started to get the ball onto the deck and move it around. Gower threw in some challenges that probably would have made McCormack wince, and Maher was a steadying influence as Southend probed but could not unlock Leeds. JCR miscuing a cut back from Freddy Eastwood was the first decent chance for the blues. The breakthrough came half way through the first half, as an excellent Bradbury broke through the high line that Leeds played, before squaring it to Gower to blast a shot past the flailing Ankergen. With the lead, Southend looked for the second goal that would calm the nerves against a dangerous Leeds. Sodje and Clarke were both very busy as they struggled at times with Leeds’ physical nature. Minutes after the first goal Freddy cracked the post with a curling shot… probably the crucial moment in the game. After this Leeds woke up and probably went into the changing rooms at half time knowing that they could break through.

They came out an energised team, and forced a number of freekicks. Flahavan denied Blake with an excellent safe and the game was all about Southend’s defence and whether they could hold out. A few times Southend caught Leeds on the break, but passes were a bit sloppy. Foran had two decent chances on the edge of the box but one was blocked and one went well over. However the defence finally breached and the killer blow came on the 85th minute, as Gower clumsily bowled over a Leeds player. After a false start, the freekick was laid off to an unmarked Healy who drilled it in. Leeds were right back in it and, in my opinion, hard done by when Francis handled in the box, however the ref gave a foul on Francis as he was adjudged to have been pushed. It seemed stonewall to me but as Leeds had had a few decisions go their way perhaps it would have been harsh on the Blues. The game finished as both teams pressed to snatch all 3 points, but it wasn’t to be. Also, to add insult to injury, whilst results went our way, the Blues slipped back into the bottom 3 which increases the pressure to keep the unbeaten run going and to at least get a result up at the KC stadium.

Ratings:

Flahavan – 7: Excellent stop for Blakes freekick. After a nervy start began to boss his area well

Francis – 7.5: Brilliant first half for the youngster, as he covered the centrebacks and often was left exposed by JCR. Probably should have conceded a penalty but the ref adjudged he was pushed

Sodje – 7.5: MOTM, excellent return for form as he worked hard against an awkward Cresswell. Some dodgy sliced clearances but on the whole lead from the back with an awesome display

Clarke – 7.5: Countered Sodje’s all-action game with a more cultured effort against Kandol. When the ball was on the deck he moved it around well

Hunt – 7: Unsung hero today as he did his job with the minimum of fuss. Wasn’t an attacking option but defended well. Hammell back for Hull though?

Gower – 7.5: Would have been my MOTM if it wasn’t for the silly tackle from which we conceded. Had an excellent game in the centre of the park and was great to see someone bursting through the centre to score

Maher – 7: Steadied the ship and whilst set-pieces blew hot and cold, he was a cool head in the midfield as he worked on getting the ball down and playing football

JCR – 6: A poor game which has been the story of JCR over the last few weeks. Seems tired and yet again today his complete lack of end product was evident

Foran – 6.5: Non of the heroics of Tuesday, was an excellent asset in defence as Leeds piled on, but squandered some chances and doesn’t quite seem to have the pace to really be a quality alternative to Gower on the wing

Freddy – 7: Quiet game as he got no time on the ball. Had a couple of half efforts and the usual frustrating offsides

Bradbury – 7.5: Like Marmite, I loved him today but my Dad hated him. Set up Gower for his goal and worked the line well from throw-on’s, especially well seeing as he was in the land of the giants and often Freddy was no where near for his flick-ons

Subs:

Sam – 6: Didn’t seem particularly special in my opinion. Was put through on goal but a weak shot was easily saved

Harrold – 7: Looked lively like usual as he came on with 10mins left

Ref: 7 on the whole had a good game, some dodgy decisions but kept the match from boiling over. Not sure about the pen decision but oh well!!

Crowd – 8: Seemed loud from the front of the west and I must mention Leeds who were excellent for the most part

Last edited:
How Bradbury got 7.5 with Foran and Freddy getting less is beyond me. I thought Bradbury was shocking today. Funny ol' game aye

Match Report – Leeds United by Jon Tosh

Late Leeds Comeback Checks Blues Survival Hopes

A packed Roots Hall witnessed an electric game between Leeds and Southend, both looking for the three points that would go a long way towards Championship status next season.

Turning onto Shakespeare Drive I wasn’t sure what to expect, I have been both looking forward and dreading this game for weeks. Now the day was here it seemed that many shared my mixed emotions. A tense crowd filled RH and although a few lads tried to get songs going, I was more busy biting my nails and watching our shooting practice. An almost capacity crowd created one of the best KO atmospheres I have heard at a Saturday match this seasons as the teams came out, and soon my nerves were transformed into anticipation, as like many I shared the belief that on our day Leeds should be no problem to overcome.

Leeds started brightly, not letting Southend into their stride as they looked to make use of their superior aerial and physical team. Kandol had the first real chance for Leeds, putting a free header just wide, which was typical of the squandered chances by the Leeds big-men up front. Southend however quickly found their feet and started to get the ball onto the deck and move it around. Gower threw in some challenges that probably would have made McCormack wince, and Maher was a steadying influence as Southend probed but could not unlock Leeds. JCR miscuing a cut back from Freddy Eastwood was the first decent chance for the blues. The breakthrough came half way through the first half, as an excellent Bradbury broke through the high line that Leeds played, before squaring it to Gower to blast a shot past the flailing Ankergen. With the lead, Southend looked for the second goal that would calm the nerves against a dangerous Leeds. Sodje and Clarke were both very busy as they struggled at times with Leeds’ physical nature. Minutes after the first goal Gower again cracked the post with a curling shot… probably the crucial moment in the game. After this Leeds woke up and probably went into the changing rooms at half time knowing that they could break through.

They came out an energised team, and forced a number of freekicks. Flahavan denied Blake with an excellent safe and the game was all about Southend’s defence and whether they could hold out. A few times Southend caught Leeds on the break, but passes were a bit sloppy. Foran had two decent chances on the edge of the box but one was blocked and one went well over. However the defence finally breached and the killer blow came on the 85th minute, as Gower clumsily bowled over a Leeds player. After a false start, the freekick was laid off to an unmarked Healy who drilled it in. Leeds were right back in it and, in my opinion, hard done by when Francis handled in the box, however the ref gave a foul on Francis as he was adjudged to have been pushed. It seemed stonewall to me but as Leeds had had a few decisions go their way perhaps it would have been harsh on the Blues. The game finished as both teams pressed to snatch all 3 points, but it wasn’t to be. Also, to add insult to injury, whilst results went our way, the Blues slipped back into the bottom 3 which increases the pressure to keep the unbeaten run going and to at least get a result up at the KC stadium.

Ratings:

Flahavan – 7: Excellent stop for Blakes freekick. After a nervy start began to boss his area well

Francis – 7.5: Brilliant first half for the youngster, as he covered the centrebacks and often was left exposed by JCR. Probably should have conceded a penalty but the ref adjudged he was pushed

Sodje – 7.5: MOTM, excellent return for form as he worked hard against an awkward Cresswell. Some dodgy sliced clearances but on the whole lead from the back with an awesome display

Clarke – 7.5: Countered Sodje’s all-action game with a more cultured effort against Kandol. When the ball was on the deck he moved it around well

Hunt – 7: Unsung hero today as he did his job with the minimum of fuss. Wasn’t an attacking option but defended well. Hammell back for Hull though?

Gower – 7.5: Would have been my MOTM if it wasn’t for the silly tackle from which we conceded. Had an excellent game in the centre of the park and was great to see someone bursting through the centre to score

Maher – 7: Steadied the ship and whilst set-pieces blew hot and cold, he was a cool head in the midfield as he worked on getting the ball down and playing football

JCR – 6: A poor game which has been the story of JCR over the last few weeks. Seems tired and yet again today his complete lack of end product was evident

Foran – 6.5: Non of the heroics of Tuesday, was an excellent asset in defence as Leeds piled on, but squandered some chances and doesn’t quite seem to have the pace to really be a quality alternative to Gower on the wing

Freddy – 7: Quiet game as he got no time on the ball. Had a couple of half efforts and the usual frustrating offsides

Bradbury – 7.5: Like Marmite, I loved him today but my Dad hated him. Set up Gower for his goal and worked the line well from throw-on’s, especially well seeing as he was in the land of the giants and often Freddy was no where near for his flick-ons

Subs:

Sam – 6: Didn’t seem particularly special in my opinion. Was put through on goal but a weak shot was easily saved

Harrold – 7: Looked lively like usual as he came on with 10mins left

Ref: 7 on the whole had a good game, some dodgy decisions but kept the match from boiling over. Not sure about the pen decision but oh well!!

Crowd – 8: Seemed loud from the front of the west and I must mention Leeds who were excellent for the most part

sorry but a different view,

Flahavan - Apart from from the free kick, in the first half looked like a little boy lost in relation to bossing the area and was extremely fortunate to get away with it.

Francis - good going forward but in defending is a liability with absolutely no positional sense whatsoever.

Sodje - Not my MOM for sure, ok but distribution lets him down, may win the ball but 9 out of 10 times it comes straight back.

Clarke - MOM again, his reading of the game gets better and better.

Hunt - Playing out of position but never lets the side down.

Gower - Apart from giving away the free kick, great game must have put in twice as many tackles as Maher.

Maher - Looks like a man on 9 bookings, enough said.

JCR - extremely harsh on JCR as yet again got hacked down by opposition and the old problem of no one being in the box, apart from him when foran had it on the other wing!

Foran - Not his best game and missed a couple of good chances.

Freddy - Ok i thought but spot on with offsides and choosing wrong option sometimes, but thats freddy and his goals make up for that.

Bradbury - Again pretty good but lack of pace does show at times.

Sam - weak cross at the end which gave time for leeds to get back.

Harrold - really didn't have much time to get into the game.

Ref- pretty good but certainly looked a stonewall pen for Leeds.

Crowd - All credit to the Leeds fans never stopped singing and certainly took exception to Dennis Wise.

But the biggest frustration for me was the fact initially the free kick was about to be taken from the wrong position and Healy made a run unmarked to the edge of the box, the ref pulls it back and guess what the same run and still no one picks him up!

Also and how deep did we defend in the 2nd half? sorry for the negatavity but we should have won and been clear tonight and frustration (and alcohol) have taken over.

anyway 3 points at Hull please and all will be well.

Last edited:
sorry but a different view,
Crowd - All credit to the Leeds fans never stopped singing and certainly took exception to Dennis Wise.

That would be an understatement - it started with a few verses of "Wise out" but then escalated into "The Chelsea Boys Are Taking Us Down" and the delightful ditty about "Shooting all the Chelsea Scum"

How Bradbury got 7.5 with Foran and Freddy getting less is beyond me. I thought Bradbury was shocking today
Yep, indeed a funy old game. I haven't benn Braders biggest fan of late but I tohught this was his best game for a long time.
But the biggest frustration for me was the fact initially the free kick was about to be taken from the wrong position and Healy made a run unmarked to the edge of the box, the ref pulls it back and guess what the same run and still no one picks him up!
Looked like Forans man to me, he just didnt go with him.

Last edited:
I dont think we played overly good or bad. It was pretty ordinary but really frustrating to be caught out like we were.

If Freddy had bagged the one that hit the post we'd have been home and dry. Now all the nervousness will return and Hull now becomes another MUST win game (i know they all are at the moment).

DLOMAN you are spot on. It seems that everyone wants to have a pop at JCR when, quite truthfully, for the whole time he was on the pitch he was probably our hardest worker both going forward and tracking back. He was constantly our only outlet from defence and yet all we hear is 'no end product'. I can't believe that people don't see more.
On another note I totally agree that Peter Clarke gets better with every game abd deserved MOTH on both Tuesday and yesterday.

Another different view really. Far from being quick to settle down I thought they bullied us out of stride pretty much from the kick off. Our goal was against the run of play and only after that and for a short spell did we really look like the dominant team. And as has been mentioned, Freddy's shot that hit the post would have undoubtedly won us the game (like our 2nd did at Ipswich). The Leeds heads were down already and it was only the length of time the game stayed at 1-0 that kept them interested.

Sodje and Clarke dealt well with a very physical forward line but the defence failed to deal with long, high balls a significant amount of times and we were lucky to get away with it on 4 or 5 occasions. Francis was the pick of the back four for me - the most assured defending and a consistent attacking option. Hunt did well but Hammel must come back as he offers the team so much more.

I thought Gower worked hard and did as well as could be expected of him in this positon against a route one side like Leeds. Foran and JCR both worked their socks off. The biggest let down for me was Maher - only in terms of what we know he is capable of and thought it was the same against Burnley. He's about the only player we have who can almost single-handedly wrestle the momentum of the game in our direction and unfortunately he didn't have one of these dominant games yesterday.

Eastwood continues to make runs and find himself space that no one else spots. You sense his growing frustration game by game and it's affecting his work-rate and attitude in my opinion. And when he does receive the ball he usually has two or three defenders on him. Yesterday, more often than not he tried to lay the ball off to someone in more space in this situation but no one had the quality to capitilise. It was interesting when Bradbury went round their keeper he stopped, looked up, waited then played Foran in. He then controlled, sized the goal up and then had his shot blocked as a defenders had time to get back in number to protect the goal. Neither Bradbury nor Foran did anything particularly wrong but the time they took highlighted our lack of quality, incisive, attacking play. If Eastwood had been in Bradbury's position I feel the outcome could have been very different.

We've played three very poor teams and picked up 7 points which is a healthy return. But our own perfomances (not effort or endeavour note - performances) continue to concern me. There's little doubt that somehow, at this late stage of the season, we need to raise our own game a level again in order to get out of this.

UTB

How Bradbury got 7.5 with Foran and Freddy getting less is beyond me. I thought Bradbury was shocking today. Funny ol' game aye

I thought Bradders was absolutely immense yesterday. Won just about every ball he went for, he completely controlled the tempo of every attacking move he was involved in. Leeds just couldn't deal with him and I've got to say that I thought that we lost a lot of momentum when he and Eastwood were taken out of the front-line. Poor substitutions, in my opinion..

Ratings for me would be:

Flavs - 7
Francis - 7.5
Hunt - 6.5
Clarke - 8
Sodje - 7
JCR - 6
Foran - 6
Maher - 6
Gower - 8
Eastwood - 7.5
Bradbury - 8.5

Sam & Harrold both did alright when they came on. Clarke turned in his usual impressive performance and I think we've been missing a trick by not playing Gower in central-midfield in the past three years.

Poor substitutions, in my opin

I thought they were ok. Sam gave us some pace up front and bringing Harrold on made sense form a defensive arial point of view. Unfortunately they didnt put the free kick in the air which didnt help.

I ddin't think the Leeds were all that, they were loud until we scored but were generally very quite for the remainder of the game apart from abusing Wise a few times.

In my opinion, the starting 11 is screaming at Tilson and, when Macca returns, should be placed in. Foran replacing Bradbury upfront, Gower returning to the wing and Macca slotting nicely back alongside Maher.

Bradbury is quite possibly the most frustrating forward to watch sometimes. His complete and utter reluctance to shoot when in a golden oppurtunity is a liability. I can understand his use to the squad, and when we play away isn't such a bad idea as he holds the ball up well, But a partnership of Foran and Eastwood would be far, far more effective in front of goal.

I am not a generally a massive fan of JCR ,but I am surprised about the criticism he got for his performance yesterday . For me it was one of his best. The reason -not only his normal excellent work rate and determination in a very physical match - but also on many occasions yesterday he played the simple pass , early . Maybe that is why he did not catch the eye so much as usual but for me he was much more effective and looked a real team player .

Thought Clarke and the Sodge were immense against very unpleasant opponents - lots of off the ball stuff from Cresswell which the Ref missed
and Hunt also made numerous inspired interceptions . Bradbury led the line superbly and it all looked dis -jointed after he was moved following the subs .

Foran for me made a better all round contribution yesterday than on Tuesday where he was ineffective apart from his run into the box which produced the goal . Whereas yesterday he put in a lot of good work in midfield but then contrived to look rubbish in front of goal on several occasions . Why was he not subbed ? Didn't look to me that there was anything wrong with Fredi but maybe he had picked up a knock

Foran for me made a better all round contribution yesterday than on Tuesday where he was ineffective apart from his run into the box which produced the goal .

Well he was only on for 15 mins on Tuesday.

I thought they were ok. Sam gave us some pace up front and bringing Harrold on made sense form a defensive arial point of view. Unfortunately they didnt put the free kick in the air which didnt help.

Eastwood was already giving us pace up front. Maybe he was knackered, but he looked alright to me and was giving us a great outlet on the counter. Their defenders couldn't get the better of Bradbury either so I don't really understand the need to make the changes. Sam on for JCR seemed the logical choice. I don't want to criticise Tilly because he's got his subsitutions right so often this season, but this was a poor one and it ended up costing us.

Eastwood was already giving us pace up front. Maybe he was knackered, but he looked alright to me and was giving us a great outlet on the counter. Their defenders couldn't get the better of Bradbury either so I don't really understand the need to make the changes. Sam on for JCR seemed the logical choice. I don't want to criticise Tilly because he's got his subsitutions right so often this season, but this was a poor one and it ended up costing us.

I have to agree... I wanted to stay out of the debate about his substitutions but for me they were very puzzling. Bradbury and Freddy were both getting joy against their defence and for me the only really ineffective player was JCR.. which would lead to an obvious chance for Sam to come in. However changing both strikers really messed up our right side and unbalanced our defence which lead to the final breach in the last few mins

I have to agree... I wanted to stay out of the debate about his substitutions but for me they were very puzzling. Bradbury and Freddy were both getting joy against their defence and for me the only really ineffective player was JCR.. which would lead to an obvious chance for Sam to come in. However changing both strikers really messed up our right side and unbalanced our defence which lead to the final breach in the last few mins

Very odd subs Tosh ....As you say Freddy and Bradders were doing Ok.

Gower was my MOTM by some distance. Ok there was the tackle at the end, but it's not really his fault we didn't pick up an obvious Leeds ploy that they telegraphed for us. Hard-tackling, constant running, good going forward... one of the best midfield performances I've seen for a while and certainly not something I knew he was capable of. Behind him, Clarke was the pick of the defence again, Francis was much improved, and Bradders (in the 2nd half) and Freddy both looked dangerous.

I admit i sometimes get anoyed at the lack of, and timing of Tilsons substitutions, but yesterday, 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go, you just dont change anything. On the note of bradders, always always has time for the younger fans, treats them with respect, shares a joke with them and has conversations with them. Yesterday he played quite well i thought, best hes been for a while. Gowers performance was sheffield wednesday like, he looks suited to the role and was superb again, clarke wa immense too!

re Eastwood. So many times now he makes runs and wants the ball played early but his team mates just aren't quick enough either mentally in seeing the ball to play and/or making the actual pass. Often by the time they see or make the pass the space has closed and Fred's got 2/3 defenders on him and the opportunity is gone. I never want him to leave the Blues but I'd love to see him in a team with players of the same quality in terms of his footballing brain.

Back