• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Josh Coulson Signs

Perhaps we are seeing the impact of a CEO who knows how to handle contracts with incentives, rather than an owner who doesn't.

Sounds like an excellent signing who won't be a shrinking violet in the dressing room either.

Our maybe it's an extension of the myth that PB signs loads of players over 30 and gives them 3 year contacts!!!

Our maybe it's an extension of the myth that PB signs loads of players over 30 and gives them 3 year contacts!!!
Except my comment isn't about PB, it's about the owner who did approve similar signings in the past and the hopefully positive impact that a CEO who knows his job will have so we don't see any more WOW signings which of course we knew was a code meaning Waste of Wages

Perhaps we are seeing the impact of a CEO who knows how to handle contracts with incentives, rather than an owner who doesn't.

Sounds like an excellent signing who won't be a shrinking violet in the dressing room either.

It might be because PB only gave one year contracts to Anton, Turner and MAF. Fans all seemed happy when they resigned at the end of their contracts. Other fans claim it was PB that gave Oxley a huge contract when it was CP.

Perhaps the new CEO has learnt from others?

Last edited:
This comment worries me after last season:

"and he gives us the option to play three centre backs if necessary"

Wouldn't worry about that now. I'm only opposed to the system if we don't have the right players to make it work. We won't know the answer to that until our transfer business is complete.

moan moan moan .Some fans on hear are never happy .We bring in players who know there way around the Nation League and some on hear still are not happy .The answer is if you do not like what Phil Brown is bringing in then do not go to games .No one forces you in the gate .

moan moan moan .Some fans on hear are never happy .We bring in players who know there way around the Nation League and some on hear still are not happy .The answer is if you do not like what Phil Brown is bringing in then do not go to games .No one forces you in the gate .
I haven't seen one moan since the signing was announced - have I missed something as they all appear to be 100% positive

Wouldn't worry about that now. I'm only opposed to the system if we don't have the right players to make it work. We won't know the answer to that until our transfer business is complete.

My post was with a hint of sarcasm ☺️

Completely agree that our team will likely be a lot different to the 5 at the back that MM played

Agree with you TT. Also I am liking the fact that, and this could be coincidence obviously, but we have made 2 signings since having the influence of a CEO again and they have both been announced on the club site first, before local press. This for me smacks of a much more professionally run administration departments, doing the detail behind the footballing side.

Another positive and if we can continue in the same vane on the pre season and league season on the footballing side we are certainly going to have the feel of being a properly run football club again.....Hallelujah!!

Except my comment isn't about PB, it's about the owner who did approve similar signings in the past and the hopefully positive impact that a CEO who knows his job will have so we don't see any more WOW signings which of course we knew was a code meaning Waste of Wages

We still never signed that many players over 30 - our biggest issue was signing players with poor injury records - age doesn't come into that.

We've hardly ever been a side that buys players to sell on. Most that have been sold on, have come through our youth.

With Bosman it's actually quite difficult to sell players for a profit, unless you hand out long contacts.

Perception is different for everyone, I thought Turner was a superb player, sure he wasn't what he was at his peak - but then we could never or afforded him if he was! However he was a leader, he was incredibly slow but still did a sterling job and chipped in with a goal or two. Coulson is younger and a 12 month contract with the option of another is fine with me

I dont know about the 3 year thing and you may be right

I think there is however clear evidence that Phil does quite like to ensure a number of older professionals as witnessed by 4 of his 5 signings to date. I wont list their ages as it produces mouth foaming for some and only those who like the concept are expected to proffer a view regarding age

I like the prospects of a balanced squad and maybe with Bridge coming in we will see balance directed in the other direction and as I understand it a few more

Equally of course you can win everything with kids

Based on trophy wins alone, Sir Alex Ferguson ( with 48 trophies is way out in front ) is recognised as the best Manager ever

Some of his own best tips..

Theres a huge difference between building a TEAM and Building a CLUB
Build from the bottom with [players growing up together, producing a bond and spirit )
The first thought of Managers is to make sure they win to survive, so their instinct is to bring in experienced players
In Todays world who waits for a Manager to build a team over a 4 year period You need to dare to rebuild and need a keen sense of players life cycles
Winning a game is a short term gain but building a club brings stability and consistency
The cycle of a successful team tends to last for 4 years and evolve gradually
Changing Managers frequently creates player power in the dressing room, NEVER lose control, respond forcefully to any challenge quickly
Cut the cord quick on any player negatively effecting the dressing room or team performance, there is no other way,

I hope that looking at our recent signings they will most of all inspire values , a never give up attitude , a must give all approach and develop our youngsters and that Phil can boldly Manage the new leaders

I dont know about the 3 year thing and you may be right

I think there is however clear evidence that Phil does quite like to ensure a number of older professionals as witnessed by 4 of his 5 signings to date. I wont list their ages as it produces mouth foaming for some and only those who like the concept are expected to proffer a view regarding age

I like the prospects of a balanced squad and maybe with Bridge coming in we will see balance directed in the other direction and as I understand it a few more

Equally of course you can win everything with kids

Based on trophy wins alone, Sir Alex Ferguson ( with 48 trophies is way out in front ) is recognised as the best Manager ever

Some of his own best tips..

Theres a huge difference between building a TEAM and Building a CLUB
Build from the bottom with [players growing up together, producing a bond and spirit )
The first thought of Managers is to make sure they win to survive, so their instinct is to bring in experienced players
In Todays world who waits for a Manager to build a team over a 4 year period You need to dare to rebuild and need a keen sense of players life cycles
Winning a game is a short term gain but building a club brings stability and consistency
The cycle of a successful team tends to last for 4 years and evolve gradually
Changing Managers frequently creates player power in the dressing room, NEVER lose control, respond forcefully to any challenge quickly
Cut the cord quick on any player negatively effecting the dressing room or team performance, there is no other way,

I hope that looking at our recent signings they will most of all inspire values , a never give up attitude , a must give all approach and develop our youngsters and that Phil can boldly Manage the new leaders

The similarities between us and Man U makes their success all the more painful for us shrimpers.

Back