• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mattitouk

Life President
I've Just seen that he is another player from West Ham to be sent out on loan. In this case to Bradford, who we have to play on Tuesday, I hope he wont be another local, that turns out to bite us on the arse so to speak.

I personally dont know much about him, did he ever trial with us? if so, was he any good from anyones memory? and if so, how did we let another local talent slip through our fingers, more so, what with Phil Brown boasting about his connection with Terry Westley the under 21 coach from his derby days in todays paper, how come he got shipped out up north instead of us.
Granted, he plays in midfield, and we could be considered a little top heavy in those positions currently, or perhaps it was a % of wage demands that we couldnt afford as apose to Bradford.

According to Wikipedia, he is yet another local lad (born In Southend, well Westcliff to be exact), & (currently lives in Wickford according to the echo) who has already made his 1st team debut for the hammers in the Premiership as well as in the Europa league, and has also played for England U16's & for the Republic Of Ireland at both U19 & U21 Level.

I think you have to trust our scouting network here, as you rightly say we're not exactly short of midfielders so if we were to take one more loanee (taking the total number to the maximum 5 that can be in a match day squad) then I doubt it would be another one, more likely to be a Centre Back to cover for Prosser's departure.

Given that Cullen has been playing in the same development squad as Hendrie, we must have had someone who has seen him play and we have taken the decision that Sam McQueen and Glen Kamara are either better players than Cullen or fit better into the squad gaps that we have.

Just because he's a local lad and is going out to a League One club from West Ham, it doesn't necessarily follow that it should be Southend - there are way more factors involved!

All lower league clubs are pretty helpless at getting the local talented kids from a very young age, the big clubs hoover anyone up with a pulse and then discard them later. Bit tricky to get a 9-year-old to sign for us instead of a Premier League club. We're pretty good at finding the rough diamonds and slow developers they later discard (Payne, Bentley and going back further Maher and Gower) which has to be the way for us really.

I've Just seen that he is another player from West Ham to be sent out on loan. In this case to Bradford, who we have to play on Tuesday, I hope he wont be another local, that turns out to bite us on the arse so to speak.

I personally dont know much about him, did he ever trial with us? if so, was he any good from anyones memory? and if so, how did we let another local talent slip through our fingers, more so, what with Phil Brown boasting about his connection with Terry Westley the under 21 coach from his derby days in todays paper, how come he got shipped out up north instead of us.
Granted, he plays in midfield, and we could be considered a little top heavy in those positions currently, or perhaps it was a % of wage demands that we couldnt afford as apose to Bradford.

According to Wikipedia, he is yet another local lad (born In Southend, well Westcliff to be exact), & (currently lives in Wickford according to the echo) who has already made his 1st team debut for the hammers in the Premiership as well as in the Europa league, and has also played for England U16's & for the Republic Of Ireland at both U19 & U21 Level.

How many midfielders do you want us to have?

We have got hold of McQueen and Kamara and they look pretty good to me- McQueen had a pick of a number of clubs and chose us (I think we are in a pretty good place regarding attracting loanees).

I have a pal whose best mates with this lad. He's very highly rated by West Ham but as others have said we don't need anymore midfielders

How many midfielders do you want us to have?

At what point did I say the club should have bought him? I merely saw the article and read he was a local lad, and wondered if he ever was on trial with us, besides I already stated we are top heavy with midfielders in my inital post.

Back