• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you ever objected to any discussions around players that drink too much? I remember debates about Alan McCormack etc...

It's different when it's someone in the public eye, and there's a world of difference between talking about a player who's been seen out in town hammered, and discussing mental health issues and various detailed stories about a person's private life.

This individual isn't isn't in the public eye and isn't a poster on here, so I don't really think he should be discussed.

Ridicule and stigma would indeed be very wrong. This thread has highlighted the problems one of our fans has and has allowed insight to those that read it. It has been largely accepting, tolerant and understanding. I am sure nobody wishes him ill and now with greater understanding he may receive a little less condemnation in the future.

Mental health issues can befall anyone. It makes the sufferer no less of a person than anybody else. But there is still a lot of ignorance on the subject and when this can be eradicated the lives of so many will be improved. Thankfully some people are prepared to discuss a once taboo subject and change for the better will happen.

It's not about intention, or even what you see as the good (or bad) that could come from it - it's about recognising the rights of someone to not have their private life discussed in public without their consent. They have the right to privacy and as far as I can see it, we don't have the right to take that away, even if our intentions are sound.

It's not about intention, or even what you see as the good (or bad) that could come from it - it's about recognising the rights of someone to not have their private life discussed in public without their consent. They have the right to privacy and as far as I can see it, we don't have the right to take that away, even if our intentions are sound.

There are very few references to his private life and what has been highlighted is his very public behaviour. The behaviour that some mock, some take exception to and others understand. I think after this thread there will be more in the 'understand' camp which can only be a good thing. I fully appreciate your point of view Pubey but unless certain things are pointed out on this matter then the lad is threatened by the hand of ignorance.

Thing is a lot of fans know who Kev is and his illness - first time I came across him was (I think) on a train to the match and he was very vocal about how **** Southend was and how Tilson was the worst manager ever and it was a little bit awkward and nervy for my teenage nephew who'd journeyed down with me.

I would suggest that for his own safety that he attends matches with someone who can chaperone him or one day someone not so familiar with him may take exception with his comments.

Thing is a lot of fans know who Kev is and his illness - first time I came across him was (I think) on a train to the match and he was very vocal about how **** Southend was and how Tilson was the worst manager ever and it was a little bit awkward and nervy for my teenage nephew who'd journeyed down with me.

I would suggest that for his own safety that he attends matches with someone who can chaperone him or one day someone not so familiar with him may take exception with his comments.

He's already been punched by people taking exception. Twice that I know of, and who knows how many times I don't. That's why I said it's a good thing if people are made aware of his mental illness.

It's different when it's someone in the public eye, and there's a world of difference between talking about a player who's been seen out in town hammered, and discussing mental health issues and various detailed stories about a person's private life.

This individual isn't isn't in the public eye and isn't a poster on here, so I don't really think he should be discussed.

I would say Kev is quite in the local public eye

He's already been punched by people taking exception. Twice that I know of, and who knows how many times I don't. That's why I said it's a good thing if people are made aware of his mental illness.

Have to agree, the more people who know the better. This thread will in some way protect Kev as he will undoubtedly end up in trouble.

I do remember a similar character who was up to his usual tricks one night in Rayleigh. The new doorman who didn't know his background confronted him and one thing lead to another and he ended up in Oldchurch Hospital for about six weeks and was very lucky to be alive.

Dagenham Kev is harmless he suffers from a variety of issues one of his key problems is he takes all his medication for the whole day in the morning in one go then has a drink which he is not suppose to, however he would never do any harm to anybody or raise a hand, he has been assaulted in the past for shooting his mouth off when some people have not understood he has a mental condition. I have known him for about 15 years now he's always been the same and he won't change but he will alway go to watch SUFC and all local Essex games he must rack up over 300 games a season for various clubs like grays canvey billericay etc....

His views are off the planet but he is really quite friendly

Agree with you here obvious he has issues but harmless and certainly watches a lot of football matches in Essex. Lot worse than him about

Back