• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tonight's match official is the experienced and normally very decent Mick Russell from St Albans.

A steady official in his 9th season (although he missed most of last season with an injury), this will be his 12th Southend match and his 7th at Roots Hall.

His first home Southend match was also Freddie Eastwood's first match and we know what happened there! His next home game was the early season victory over Stoke in 2006/7. His more recent home matches were the 3-3 derby match with Colchester when he cautioned 5 of theirs and none of ours and the somewhat lively 3-2 victory over a fairly unpleasant Hartlepool side involving two penalties and the dismissal of their keeper.

He most recent Southend matches were at home to Morecambe the season before last, where some might say he wasn't great and failed to dismiss a Morecambe player for an off the ball incident involving Mohsni and, later in the same season, when he (and we) coasted through a cardless game against Macclesfield (Mohsni got a couple).

His first two away matches were both on the south coast; the 1-1 draw at Bournemouth when Sodje was injured and then the 3-2 defeat at Brighton in 2007/8.

Then comes the match when he apparently blotted his copybook in a match I did not see at Swindon in 2009/10, where, by all accounts, he had a bit of a nightmare. However he was subsequently back to his best in a game I did see at Norwich later that season when it was certainly not his fault we failed to hold on to one point when for much of the game we looked like taking all three.

His final away game was last season's win at Burton where he had another good match, although he did caution Grant and Phillips.

A referee who usually officiates with a smile on his face, he looks to allow play to continue where possible and always has a well below average card count. He has done 22 matches already this season (including 8 Championship games) and, despite having 6 yellows and a red in Saturday's slightly fractious match between bitter rivals Palace and Brighton, these matches have produced just 48 yellows and 2 reds.

Assistants are Geofrey Russell (no relation) from Rushden and Ian Cooper from Rochester with one-time Roots Hall paying customer, Rob Whitton from Bocking in Essex on 4th Official duties.

Will that be the match at Swindon where a letter of apology was sent to Steve Tilson? He did indeed have a shocker that day but hopefully the good performances far outweigh the bad in his performances with us and tonight is another good one.

Will that be the match at Swindon where a letter of apology was sent to Steve Tilson? He did indeed have a shocker that day but hopefully the good performances far outweigh the bad in his performances with us and tonight is another good one.

I thought he was rumoured to have phoned him up. I don't think any referee would commit to writing a letter of apology.

I thought he was rumoured to have phoned him up. I don't think any referee would commit to writing a letter of apology.

I think that's right - didn't he tell Tilly that he got the worst assessor's report he'd ever had? Never mind, anyone who has a yellow card count of 5-0 in our favour against Col Ewe is sound by me!

Back