• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Juncker proposes EU military headquarters

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
I've never made any secret of my wish for the UK to remain in the EU, but reading this does make me think we might be better off out of it. What's the point of NATO if something like this happens. A move towards a united European State may be a step nearer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37359196

Maybe a step nearer? I'd say that's a given. It always has been and always will be the ultimate goal of those in power in Brussels to see the creation of a European Superstate and the subjugation of each and every sovereign member state. The creation of a European military force is just another small piece of the overall jigsaw.

Don't think it'll come to anything in the near future, Juncker is becoming to the EU what Jeremy Corbyn is to the left wing and his support from the powerhouse countries seems to be evaporating.

Looks like the beginnings of a European Army are being thrown on the table. Ablely led by the French and Germans no doubt.

I've never thought that a European Army was a good idea, but always suspected it would happen to some degree in the near future.
"An ever closer Unity" type of spout from the politicians, but in reality a cost saving measure to strengthen the big players military influence across the world at the expense of risking smaller countries troops in a conflict that wouldn't concern them previously.

Hopefully, it's something we are well out of by the time it actually becomes reality.

Last edited:
Juncker is clearly of his head!

Power has muddled his brain,he even promised free wifi to everyone:hilarious::hilarious:

The French are the only country within the EU who has military might,cannot see them throwing their lot into some ragbag army.

Juncker is clearly of his head!

Power has muddled his brain,he even promised free wifi to everyone:hilarious::hilarious:

The French are the only country within the EU who has military might,cannot see them throwing their lot into some ragbag army.

The Germans have very capable armed forces,but are not allowed to play.

Shame as it seems like a complete no-brainer to me.

Almost all of our troops activities are things carried out in coalition, be it NATO exercises, securing European borders or humanitarian or peacekeeping missions such as in Syria.

The British Army has a proud history of fighting alongside many of our European allies - be it Polish spitfire pilots, French resistance fighters etc during WWII; or alongside the Germans, Italians, Spanish etc during the Napoleonic wars; alongside the Portuguese and Dutch in the War of Spanish Succession etc etc

Working closer together would make it easier for our troops and more efficient. It would even strengthen NATO by providing an obvious European HQ from which to co-ordinate.

We'd have lots of skills we could offer (our specials forces) and they'd have lots of skills we desperately need (like how to do defence procurement competently).

If people wanted to give the NHS an extra £350m a week, pooling our defence resources with the EU might be a good way to start. Our defence spending dwarfs our EU contributions (and that's before the rebate is calculated).

Almost all of our troops activities are things carried out in coalition, be it NATO exercises, securing European borders or humanitarian or peacekeeping missions such as in Syria.

The British Army has a proud history of fighting alongside many of our European allies - be it Polish spitfire pilots, French resistance fighters etc during WWII; or alongside the Germans, Italians, Spanish etc during the Napoleonic wars; alongside the Portuguese and Dutch in the War of Spanish Succession etc etc

Working closer together would make it easier for our troops and more efficient. It would even strengthen NATO by providing an obvious European HQ from which to co-ordinate.

We'd have lots of skills we could offer (our specials forces) and they'd have lots of skills we desperately need (like how to do defence procurement competently).

If people wanted to give the NHS an extra £350m a week, pooling our defence resources with the EU might be a good way to start. Our defence spending dwarfs our EU contributions (and that's before the rebate is calculated).

I reckon you could end up banged up in the Tower with views like that YB.:winking:

I hope this won't read as rude but..................
Do you have any first hand military experience? Have you ever had contact and tried to work with a multi- national armed force?
The best thing about German military is their logistics ( especially dentists!) and equipment, the French have great messes with restaurant standard catering, the Italians provide wine with lunch and dinner, the Swiss often have the best gym.
The Poles, Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Finns are pretty good.
I very much doubt any British ( or U.S) Military would want anything to do with an EU joint military that goes any further than a tightly mandated peace keeping mission.

I hope this won't read as rude but..................
Do you have any first hand military experience? Have you ever had contact and tried to work with a multi- national armed force?
The best thing about German military is their logistics ( especially dentists!) and equipment, the French have great messes with restaurant standard catering, the Italians provide wine with lunch and dinner, the Swiss often have the best gym.
The Poles, Swedes, Danes, Norwegians, Finns are pretty good.
I very much doubt any British ( or U.S) Military would want anything to do with an EU joint military that goes any further than a tightly mandated peace keeping mission.

No, I haven't. Have you then?

I imagine it's dysfunctional. Which is why a single army would make more sense.

I also think the US would much rather just deal with a single military rather than with lots of different ones.

Obviously it's not going to happen because it's too radical for people to get their heads around.

No, I haven't. Have you then?

I imagine it's dysfunctional. Which is why a single army would make more sense.

I also think the US would much rather just deal with a single military rather than with lots of different ones.

Obviously it's not going to happen because it's too radical for people to get their heads around.

So you know nothing about the subject but what you " imagine"!

And yes I have some 1st hand experience of working with EU, non EU, Wider NATO military ( including USA) and 3rd World Countries' military.
You would struggle to dream of some of the incompetence and corruption that abounds.
Instead of "radical" in your post you should insert "idiotic".:angry:

Back