• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Junior doctors row: 98% vote in favour of strikes

All a bit short-sighted if you ask me. The sooner the Junior Doctors complete their training the sooner they can leave the NHS, go private and absolutely coin it in.

Not entirely true. Firstly not all doctors do private work and those that do tend to rely on their NHS contacts for private work, ie if they leave the NHS they are out of the loop so to speak and their private work will fall off somewhat. Moreover, IIRC they're also contracted to have to work for the NHS for a number of years after qualifying.

Also, to get private work you need to be a consultant, and that takes a lot of extra study (and years) which will keep them in the NHS for a long time after qualifying before they can even think about private work.

Hunt has apparently said that doctors could be struck off if patients die during a strike. He is a tool. Patients will die whether there is a strike are not - they are doctors not miracle workers. And if one doctor was struck off all the rest would quit. He seems not to realise he NEEDS them whether to run the NHS under the current contracts or under the contracts he is trying to enforce.

I wonder if 98% of junior Doctors would vote for air strikes

I, like most people believe doctors should be paid a salary that reflects their time at Uni and med School plus the huge possible responsibilities involved in areas of their work.
That said there must be changes as weekend & night work is no longer a bumper, extra, special, unusual working period for millions from shop workers to police; when you become a health service worker knowing the NHS is 24/7 is basics?
HUNT is not helping the situation and it would be wise for both parties to state openly and honestly what they believe is a reasonable settlement yet neither appear able to be transparent about current and prospective hours/pay/extras/incremental rises.

Hunt has apparently said that doctors could be struck off if patients die during a strike. He is a tool. Patients will die whether there is a strike are not - they are doctors not miracle workers. And if one doctor was struck off all the rest would quit. He seems not to realise he NEEDS them whether to run the NHS under the current contracts or under the contracts he is trying to enforce.

He could always do what Nye Bevan did,ie."stuff their mouths with gold." :winking:

I, like most people believe doctors should be paid a salary that reflects their time at Uni and med School plus the huge possible responsibilities involved in areas of their work.
That said there must be changes as weekend & night work is no longer a bumper, extra, special, unusual working period for millions from shop workers to police; when you become a health service worker knowing the NHS is 24/7 is basics?
HUNT is not helping the situation and it would be wise for both parties to state openly and honestly what they believe is a reasonable settlement yet neither appear able to be transparent about current and prospective hours/pay/extras/incremental rises.

I don't know what the situation is like now, but when friends of mine were junior doctors their evening and weekend (and bank holiday) over time rate was 1/3 (i.e. a third, not 3 times) their normal hourly rate. It meant that the cleaners were earning more per hour than they were.

How long will it be before this dispute is referred to Acas?

I don't know what the situation is like now, but when friends of mine were junior doctors their evening and weekend (and bank holiday) over time rate was 1/3 (i.e. a third, not 3 times) their normal hourly rate. It meant that the cleaners were earning more per hour than they were.

Are you sure? was it not 4/3rds? in other words at a 33% weekend enhancement. This is the stuff that has been reported in several different ways and both sides arguing the opposites which can't both be correct.

Are you sure? was it not 4/3rds? in other words at a 33% weekend enhancement. This is the stuff that has been reported in several different ways and both sides arguing the opposites which can't both be correct.

Absolutely 100% sure. They complained endlessly. That was about 20 years ago though.

Back