• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

pickledseal

cowboy
I'm sorry but our season is now far from over and I was a little disapointed on a slightly trivial matter on the depressing journey home....

I may have needed a little comfort from a cup of tea and a twix at the services, but I was shocked as to just how much junk food the players bought!!!!

It was great to see the team, alhtough difficult to know what to say, tilly came up and shook my hand - he didn't what to say either.

the legend barrett was shaking hands, posing for photos

spoke to a few other players- i told them we lost it long before today - prob against bloody borient - but that if at the start of season, or when we were looking like relegation candiadates we could take playoffs i certainly would have done with open arms!! to which they agreed

just a little concern was how many sweets, crisps, chocolate, fizzy drinks etc were being bought by a team of professional athletes with 2, maybe (hopefully) 3 of the biggest games of their careers coming up?

am i being a bit harsh?

Yes very harsh! Its not like our players are unfit with the exception of Gower and Corbett! But they can eat some junk food, all that really counts is what they eat prior to a match on matchday and possibly the day before, with slow release carbs the order of the day. But they'll be training all week and do more than their fair share of fitness work. Eating a mars bar now and then is fine by me. Hardly going to affect the teams chances if eaten in moderation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ May 08 2005,16:23)]I'm sorry but our season is now far from over and I was a little disapointed on a slightly trivial matter on the depressing journey home....

I may have needed a little comfort from a cup of tea and a twix at the services, but I was shocked as to just how much junk food the players bought!!!!

It was great to see the team, alhtough difficult to know what to say, tilly came up and shook my hand - he didn't what to say either.

the legend barrett was shaking hands, posing for photos

spoke to a few other players- i told them we lost it long before today - prob against bloody borient - but that if at the start of season, or when we were looking like relegation candiadates we could take playoffs i certainly would have done with open arms!! to which they agreed

just a little concern was how many sweets, crisps, chocolate, fizzy drinks etc were being bought by a team of professional athletes with 2, maybe (hopefully) 3 of the biggest games of their careers coming up?

am i being a bit harsh?
in a word 'yes'

hmmm fair enough
maybe looking back it was part of the annoyance of loosing out on promotion

it was odd how jay smith was only one goin for healthy option of a sandwich ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ May 08 2005,16:23)]am i being a bit harsh?
yes, the players are human just like us, and i love my snacks and fizzy drinks, and i'm sure they do to, i'm sure they are forced to burn it off on the training pitch anyway, Probably drowning there sorrows in a chocolate bar or two, and they were probably really tired, and needed some energy,
so YES

Very harsh.They could eat ten kebab's a day and still burn it off with all the training they do.

To be fair there isn't much healthy food you can buy at services. pickledseal which services was that at? I saw the team at the Grantham services on the way back, Juppy bought a big bag of marshmallows
laugh.gif
Che, Tilly and Adam were nice as ever, look forward to seeing them all again on Wednesday.

I don't think its harsh. They are professional athletes. If I was in their shoes I would be seeking every single advantage I could get in order to improve my performance.

At the service station on the way home the only item I purchased was a bottle of water to help me rehydrate. Maybe the players should have followed my example............ although to be fair the half a dozen pints of Guiness before the game may not have been such a good idea for them.

I don't think you're being all that harsh either. Being at the time of the season we are, they should be thinking seriously about every little thing like this. They should be saving this sort of thing for 3 weeks time. It could be stupid little things like this that add up with other factors that could've been a small influence on our downfall.

You don't have a clue do you?

Having played 90 minutes of football the players have to re-energise their bodies quickly and the best way is with sweets as they are high in sugar.

They eat pasta meals after every game and then chocolate and sweets to boost their energy levels.

It's normal routine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ May 08 2005,19:59)]You don't have a clue do you?

Having played 90 minutes of football the players have to re-energise their bodies quickly and the best way is with sweets as they are high in sugar.

They eat pasta meals after every game and then chocolate and sweets to boost their energy levels.

It's normal routine.
Yes plenty of Premier$hite teams have jelly babies and chocolate.
But not fizzy drinks and crisps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gazzacat42 @ May 08 2005,20:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ May 08 2005,19:59)]You don't have a clue do you?

It's normal routine.
Yes plenty of Premier$hite teams have jelly babies and chocolate.
But not fizzy drinks and crisps.
Ah, but crisps are good for athletes too post-activity - they restore salt levels in the body.

Can't comment on fizzy drinks although those isotonic ones (Lucozade Sport etc) are obviously good for sportspersons.

Talking of junk food - the last few times I have been to Roots Hall, I have seen Nicolau in the chip shop on the corner virtually EVERY TIME!

Personally, I just dont care. I'm sure they wouldn't be eating anything if they were prohibited from doing it.

Well in Todays Runner magazine it says wine gums are good for you as they give you an energy kick!

And if you read any running book or magazine, Mr Scriven is right in what he says!

UP THE BLUES!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ May 08 2005,21:16)]Well in Todays Runner magazine it says wine gums are good for you as they give you an energy kick!

And if you read any running book or magazine, Mr Scriven is right in what he says!

UP THE BLUES!
"Tony the Kray in backs the team and McScriven Shock!!!"

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Back