• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cityull

I'm a Hull City fan living close to Scunthorpe, an ex steelworker of getting on for 40 years; I just got back from my local where my Scunny supporting friends have told me that the travelling fans of Southend had a whipround on their coaches for the steelworkers fighting fund. As a football fan, an ex steelworker and (quite often) a cynical ol' git it gave me a lump in the throat to think that people, many miles from a steeltown, felt the need to donate their hard earnt cash to such a fund.

To all those who made the journey and contributed, I'd just like to wish you many thanks for such a magnificent gesture, it's really appreciated.

I'm a Hull City fan living close to Scunthorpe, an ex steelworker of getting on for 40 years; I just got back from my local where my Scunny supporting friends have told me that the travelling fans of Southend had a whipround on their coaches for the steelworkers fighting fund. As a football fan, an ex steelworker and (quite often) a cynical ol' git it gave me a lump in the throat to think that people, many miles from a steeltown, felt the need to donate their hard earnt cash to such a fund.

To all those who made the journey and contributed, I'd just like to wish you many thanks for such a magnificent gesture, it's really appreciated.

As a major Supermarket says, 'every little counts'. Spent several weekends in 'Scunny' in the 80's with friends, loved Judges sausages!.
The very best of luck for the future, for everyone involved in that Industry. Forget football rivalries, this is about long term stability for many people & families.

It was a pleasure Cityull, we decided on hearing of the fund that the Travelzone coach raffle monies raised would help and to be honest it came just out of the Blue the generosity of the TZ Shrimperzone members, the raffle on board was done but then in the Berkeley pub a whip round ensued and raised another lot. We just hope it helps and hope that the powers that be see sense, there is always hope.
All the Best.
Wino, on behalf of TZ Travelzone Shrimperzone.

If only our wonderful government were as considerate and compassionate to our industrial heritige before entering trade deals with our competitors.
Good luck and best wishes to all those involved.

I hope The Echo read this and run the story. Our supporters have had a bit off bad press recently, but 99% are good, honest supporters that pull together with the rest of the football community.

They could even give a link to ask others in our region to donate directly, like the kind folks above have offered to do.

Weil done to the lads and lassies who did this, makes me even prouder to be a shrimper, can but follow their brilliant sample, so if any one has a quick donate link, I would be pleased to follow such a fine example of what real football fans are like and capable of!

Just another example of how much gestures like Saturday mean to our area.

I have already posted our thanks, but it does no harm to repeat them. The generosity in handing over £250 was unbelievable.

I am not sure yet what is in place to donate, but have just contacted one of the main organisers (who is also chairman of the Iron Trust and one of those facing redundancy) to find details. The focus has been on trying to avoid job losses so the people do not need charity, but I will post them back on this thread once I hear back.

Thanks again for your compassion and generosity, it won't be forgotten by Iron fans.

You're welcome. Some may say we don't live in a great country but we truly do. You only have to look at the parades this weekend to understand that. as a country, we're all united to helping our fellow friends, be it in the North of BG or in the South, we're all brothers of our great nation. (and lucky to live in one). Like many have asked, please give any details of support we can give.

All the best to you all.

I would prefer to donate to a fund that helped safeguard or create jobs in the Southend area. I don't recall any northern clubs having a whip round when Access folded or HMRC moved countless jobs to Manchester and Liverpool. They certainly didn't help me out with my rail tickets because the only jobs available to me were in London.

I would prefer to donate to a fund that helped safeguard or create jobs in the Southend area. I don't recall any northern clubs having a whip round when Access folded or HMRC moved countless jobs to Manchester and Liverpool. They certainly didn't help me out with my rail tickets because the only jobs available to me were in London.
...or Petroplus folding (1,000 jobs); Tilbury power station (200 jobs) and so on.

...or Petroplus folding (1,000 jobs); Tilbury power station (200 jobs) and so on.

I doubt anyone from the South East asked any Northern club for support, unlike Scunthorpe's request. And all they asked for was a torch light at a football match. Donations were made because the guys wanted to. It's always grim when people lose their jobs and I understand your angst Rob.

I doubt anyone from the South East asked any Northern club for support, unlike Scunthorpe's request. And all they asked for was a torch light at a football match. Donations were made because the guys wanted to. It's always grim when people lose their jobs and I understand your angst Rob.
As you point out the request is 'got a light mate?'

And the answer seems to be mostly 'of course' with a few adding 'here is a tenner for your cause' but with the odd person opting for 'a light? Where are you from - Sheffield - you can **** off then'.
Same pattern as with most subjects then.

Back