• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
There have been plenty of people on here (probably correctly) stating that certain players won't come to us because Ron didn't pay the players last season and our reputation is shot.

I wonder if the club also has a reputation for having a home crowd booing, jeering and generally getting on the backs of players who make mistakes - a reputation which may also stop players signing for us.

No. We don't. The image the club has at the moment is one of drifting directionlessness. A few morons jeering players unnecessarily a few days ago wouldn't make an iota of difference to the reputation the club currently has.

Agree! would any of our players recommend our club to another player at the moment i would'nt. Football is a small world word spreads. To the yobs of Southend well done.

I think Uncle Ron has done more damage to our reputation than any mindless booing minority. Perhaps if we were playing good football and winning games it would help attract players.

Last season the PFA was advising any players looking to move clubs to consult them prior to any thoughts of joining SUFC. Was this because the players were not being paid or could it be because of the abuse from fans ?

Last season the PFA was advising any players looking to move clubs to consult them prior to any thoughts of joining SUFC. Was this because the players were not being paid or could it be because of the abuse from fans ?

Unequivocally the former. Wasn't that much abuse from fans to players last season. The PFA is all about contracts and settlements not spasmodic abuse by a small (albeit vocal) minority of the crowd.

Whilst I agree the negative vibes from the fans will not help the current crop of players. We are hardly a club with a reputation of having terrible fans. I bet if you asked any outside player what they thought of our club. They would say we are a mess financially, the chairman has a 'reputation' and that previous players were treated poorly. Not to mention we are on a massive downward spiral. They would be the reasons any potential signing would think long and hard before joining. And that is the problem Sturrock has. Maybe even more so than the financial constraints. The clubs reputation with everyone is through the floor. Not because of the fans. But because of the poor nature in which the club has been operated top to bottom, in the last year or two.

Last edited:
Just in relation to this didn't the goat put something in his book about players not liking playing at home due to the fans or have I confused this with comments made by another ex player ?

I wonder if the club also has a reputation for having a home crowd booing, jeering and generally getting on the backs of players who make mistakes - a reputation which may also stop players signing for us.

I doubt it.

Southend United is a kitten of a club in terms of what on on the terraces compared to other clubs, I really can't see this being a major factor compared to the fact that we have no money and prospective players are much more concerned about that.

Last edited:
Easton said at his Q&A that there were players who had advised him to steer clear of Southend but knowing PS he decided otherwise.

I feel that the financial situation has will have contributed to keeping players away, but this will have been countered to some extent by PS's reputation within the game.

As an aside, I wonder which would be the more attractive option to players, given our off the field reputation, Tilly or Luggy ?

There have been plenty of people on here (probably correctly) stating that certain players won't come to us because Ron didn't pay the players last season and our reputation is shot.

What a ridiculous post. No other clubs supporters boo their players after consistently poor performances and a rotten chairman installed?

What a ridiculous post. No other clubs supporters boo their players after consistently poor performances and a rotten chairman installed?

No other clubs have gone through periods where they haven't paid their players? If we're talikng about reasons why the clubs reputation may not be great, no doubt there'll be more reasons than financial ones.

As I said, it's just a thought.

Isn't blaming Ron Martin taking the easy option out?

The question we should be asking ourselves isn't who's to blame, but rather what we can do ourselves to improve the situation at the club.

At the moment Roots Hall is a horrible place. I wouldn't want to work there. The place is full of negativity. Now that's something we as fans can do something about. We can try cheering and singing before kick-off, rather than sitting on our hands and waiting to be entertained. We can try and inspire the players rather than waiting to be inspired. And you know what, when we sing and make some noise, it makes the game more enjoyable.

Football is a small world. The chances are that our next transfer target may well know Matt Harrold and what with Billy Paynter having played for Swindon is 99% certain to know Paynter. What type of reference is Paynter going to give the club when that transfer target gives Paynter a call and says "I've got an offer from Southend, you played there, what are they like"? When the current lot are shipped out, we can make a difference by making sure they leave the club with glowing references about the fans.

Personally, I think things are on the up. I'm really encouraged that this debate is even taking place. I thought Monday was by no means the worst I've experienced at Roots Hall of our own fans turning on the team they purport to support, yet it's provoked a sizeable reaction. I hope we can use that and turn Roots Hall into the type of place people want to play (other than away sides who know they only have to keep it tight for 15 minutes before the home crowd turn).

It might only be a small step, but from small acorns grow mighty oaks.

Up the Blues.

Why is it such a ridiculous post? fbm's only citing a suggestion that the negative chanting will spread within football circles... And the likelihood is that it certainly will. Footballers often encounter several clubs within their career and, as such, meet and work with a number of other professionals who are more than happy to pass judgement on what's occured at another club.

Judging by the fact that this current crop of players appear to have been paid on time and will have had very few encounters with the chairman, if they're to have anything negative to say about the club it'll be that the crowd were quick to jump on the back of Blair, someone who appears to be a well liked member of the squad.

Why is it such a ridiculous post? fbm's only citing a suggestion that the negative chanting will spread within football circles... And the likelihood is that it certainly will. Footballers often encounter several clubs within their career and, as such, meet and work with a number of other professionals who are more than happy to pass judgement on what's occured at another club.

Judging by the fact that this current crop of players appear to have been paid on time and will have had very few encounters with the chairman, if they're to have anything negative to say about the club it'll be that the crowd were quick to jump on the back of Blair, someone who appears to be a well liked member of the squad.

You're talking out of your hiney again ESB. The whole thing stems from having a sh*t chairman who we're stuck with. Player wages....He pays them....Or hasn't in recent seasons. Fans booing.....Right or wrong thing to do, the fans' discontent has been brought on by our crappy chairman who single handedly caused a mass exodus of what was once a decent little team and management. Even if the fans shouldnt be booing the players, I think most of those who do boo will admit that their boos are indirectly aimed at the chairman.

As for the "we only boo or moan after we lose"comments I have to put up with on here.....If RM paraded around the pitch on Saturday after a 5-0 win, he would still get booed by everyone..... As I have said before, the only reason people dont come on here berating the club after a win is the knowledge that they will be shouted down by the rose tinted brigade.

As you say though, ESB....He's the best man for the job.....Or are you going to ask "who's\what's the alternative?" again? (yawn)

You're talking out of your hiney again ESB. The whole thing stems from having a sh*t chairman who we're stuck with. Player wages....He pays them....Or hasn't in recent seasons. Fans booing.....Right or wrong thing to do, the fans' discontent has been brought on by our crappy chairman who single handedly caused a mass exodus of what was once a decent little team and management. Even if the fans shouldnt be booing the players, I think most of those who do boo will admit that their boos are indirectly aimed at the chairman.

As for the "we only boo or moan after we lose"comments I have to put up with on here.....If RM paraded around the pitch on Saturday after a 5-0 win, he would still get booed by everyone..... As I have said before, the only reason people dont come on here berating the club after a win is the knowledge that they will be shouted down by the rose tinted brigade.

As you say though, ESB....He's the best man for the job.....Or are you going to ask "who's\what's the alternative?" again? (yawn)

So Ron Martin has caused fan discontent, yet you're happy to direct that at the players, who've largely had nothing to do with the chairman or current predicament that the club finds itself in? How does that make sense?

As for the comment I've bolded, I challenge you to find one post where I've stated my belief that RM is the best man for the job. I think as far as you'll get is where I've claimed he's the only man for the job, and there's a sizeable difference.

Yorkshire Blue said:
Isn't blaming Ron Martin taking the easy option out?

The question we should be asking ourselves isn't who's to blame, but rather what we can do ourselves to improve the situation at the club.

At the moment Roots Hall is a horrible place. I wouldn't want to work there. The place is full of negativity. Now that's something we as fans can do something about. We can try cheering and singing before kick-off, rather than sitting on our hands and waiting to be entertained. We can try and inspire the players rather than waiting to be inspired. And you know what, when we sing and make some noise, it makes the game more enjoyable.

Football is a small world. The chances are that our next transfer target may well know Matt Harrold and what with Billy Paynter having played for Swindon is 99% certain to know Paynter. What type of reference is Paynter going to give the club when that transfer target gives Paynter a call and says "I've got an offer from Southend, you played there, what are they like"? When the current lot are shipped out, we can make a difference by making sure they leave the club with glowing references about the fans.

Personally, I think things are on the up. I'm really encouraged that this debate is even taking place. I thought Monday was by no means the worst I've experienced at Roots Hall of our own fans turning on the team they purport to support, yet it's provoked a sizeable reaction. I hope we can use that and turn Roots Hall into the type of place people want to play (other than away sides who know they only have to keep it tight for 15 minutes before the home crowd turn).

It might only be a small step, but from small acorns grow mighty oaks.

Up the Blues.
Great post Matt, and FBM's original post as well.

So Ron Martin has caused fan discontent, yet you're happy to direct that at the players, who've largely had nothing to do with the chairman or current predicament that the club finds itself in? How does that make sense?

As for the comment I've bolded, I challenge you to find one post where I've stated my belief that RM is the best man for the job. I think as far as you'll get is where I've claimed he's the only man for the job, and there's a sizeable difference.

Who said I was happy with that? I didn't. I just have a level of empathy with the "discontent fan" at the minute, and can see how some might channel their emotions incorrectly. I didn't at any point endorse such behaviour.

To be honest, I've got better things to be doing than pulling out "he said, she said"s from the thousands of pages of threads on here. I read your general comments which present themselves on a regular basis on the subject of our glorious leader and I note that you never have a bad word to say about the guy. I'm sure others would agree and some might not. Its what I have observed.

Um...how do you bold a comment?:unsure:(And please don't say like this).

Back