• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommy tucker

Manager
Richard wright has walked out on Preston .Because his wife cant settle uo north and they want to be close to there East anglian home .Former england keeper may be worth a punt . :winking:

He maybe 34 but for a keeper thats not to old just look at Brad friedell still going strong in the prem .He would probable sign for a club on a one year contract .

Just saw this on BBC and came straight on here to make a thread, wants to be close to his family in East Anglia, it's either us or The Scum I reckon, hopefully us, would be a great signing, either if his career has gone downhill since them dreadful Arsenal days

Ha! Great minds everyone - I just come straight on here to post that too... would want too much surely, but showing location is better than money, who knows.

EDIT: though thinking about it, Colchester is closer to Ipswich, their keeper has just left and they are in League 1, so I'd say they would be interested surely?...

At one stage he was going to be the next big England keeper, but things didn't work out for him. Too many injuries for me, especially with no experienced back up keeper. If he could remain injury free, would be a great signing though.

I should direct you all to my post earlier today on the transfers thread re Richard Wright. Football Rumours put this up this morning:

06 Jul 2012 23:02:04
Richard wright set to sign for Colchester utd or Southend on a 1 yr deal after being released by PNE citing he couldnt be too far away from home. Southend in desperate need for a goalkeeper and this would come at a great time. Although his wage demands may be an issue. Spoke to Sturrock today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way ward said cousins is going to be first team keeper he might go southend but never colchester

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trouble is were ever he goes he has a reputation for for being a dodgy keeper.
This makes the defence nervous all the time.

Colchester are not signing a keeper to replace Williams; mark cousins will be number 1

So IF this rumour is true (and if is a big word when it comes to this infamously dodgy site!) then the fact is we are looking for a first-team goalkeeper while it seems Colchester are not (again if what is written is infact true). I guess this one could have legs, we are after all the 2 closest clubs to Wright's home. Sturrock said he was talking to a few keepers right now, I see no reason why Wright may not be one of them. Would think it is unlikely we would sign him though due to wages (or is this the reason Gilbert's contract offer was withdrawn to free more of the budget for a keeper?).

Couldn't think of many better choices than an ex-England keeper to bring on Bentley and Chambers, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Probably end up with Phil Smith, I'd hope we can do better than that (especially if we can't agree terms right now, wouldn't want him as one of our high-earners).

Hopefully if he does sign it'll work out better than the last one-cap England International we signed.

Back