• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
Just got back after today's game. We started really well and were deserving of our lead - AB, what a hero! But Saints eventually showed that they were the better team.

The last three goals that we conceded didn't really matter one bit, by that time the entire Southend section were on their feet, singing, dancing and doing the conga. It almost seemed a bit rude on the part of the Saints fans to cheer their goals as they were interrupting our party!! By the end, one half of the stadium with us in the middle were singing Oh when the Saints (although of course we were singing When the Blues..).

All the players came over to us to thank us, led by Spinner who waved goodbye to us. He then headed straight to the tunnel while all the other lads were still applauding us and I could see him wiping away the tears. As our boys made their way to the tunnel, every one of the 32000 people in the stadium were on their feet to applaud them off.

Saints fans gave us a round of applause, we gave them a round of applause then we all joined together to sing Alan Ball's name one more time.

At the end of the day, the result for me was irrelevant. What was important was that we showed the world what fantastic supporters we have. We filled the away end and enjoyed the game in exactly the right spirit and showed our appreciation to all those players who have given us such heartache yet also such joy over the last nine months.

I'm going out into town this evening to have a great night out. I am delighted once again to be able to say:

Proud to be a football fan, Proud to be a Shrimper.

;)

Yep, all started so promising with Barretts goal, though from there on in we were badly outplayed for pretty much the entire time. Was impressed by Moussa in the middle of the park, as he looked energetic and made some great tackles, but little else stood out in the performance, Francis continues to be Jeckyl and Hyde, Bradbury put a lot of effort in and made a lot of running, but every touch he made seemed to lead to Southampton getting the ball, whether through poor control or by selling a teammate short with a simple pass. Hooper made some good runs, but never seemed to recieve the ball, as yet again we ended up relying on hoofing the ball away desperately as the pressure continued to build.

As for the crowd, we were dead early on but loud for a patch when we took the lead, only to fade to nothing again as pressure built. In second half the support was great as we all just decided to forget about the game and concentrated on the party. Was the best i've personally seen a Southend corwd as regards continuous noise, and my Chelsea supporting mate could only look on bemused as we continued to cheer even when Southampton netted their 3rd and 4th mid-cheer.

The football wasn't pretty, and the game demonstrated the same weaknesses and issues we've suffered from all season, but today wasn't about the result. A good day all around and long may the party continue.

I just got back and I have to say the fans were extrodinary! I was in the Southampton end level with the 6 yard box at the end where the Southend fans were to the right of them and our fans did us proud and the conga looked awesome. Many Saints fans were pointing and saying how good it was to see and the fans I spoke to were only complimentary towards them.

On the game, Barrett's goal looked awesome and I was really impressed with Moussa. Good touches and passing and could mix it up as well getting stuck in well. Although I havn't seen Southend play much due to Uni etc. thats the best I've seen us play in terms of passing, albeit only at times and mostly in the first 20 minutes or so, without Maher in the side. Bale, who absolutely destroyed JCR for the equaliser looked a really good player, I was very impressed.

A great ground with an incredible atmosphere. Pretty much on that basis alone, I want Saints to do well in the play-offs, a point I made to one Saints fan after the game, who replied "cheers mate, you too" when I said all the best for the play-offs. Wishful thinking!

Have to agree , top atmosphere today, our players must have wondered what the hell was going on as we were singing when the last 2 goals went in.

Best atmosphere in a game i've been too...........superb stuff

Excellent fun. As mentioned above, the continued singing even as their third and fourth goals went in was cracking.

Smashing tribute to Alan Ball before the game as well.

Since coming home, I've had to pop up to the school where I teach to say goodbye to all the German Exchange pupils we've just had over for the last week. All of my pupils came up to me and said "4-1, oh dear!", but then I realised that for once I didn't really care what the score was, I had actually forgotten what it was. I actually felt (and still do!) on such a high after such a magnificent afternoon.

Anyway, I'm off to enjoy myself now and raise a glass to the fun I've had watching our boys in the Championship!

when both sets of fans applauded each other it was pretty emotional stuff and when spinner come over. i don't think anyone could have asked for anything more from today. i just hope southampton go on now and get promotion for bally

flavs 6.5 - was obviously enjoying the occasion, today it was a complete example of his season, great shotstopping but failed to command his box

francis 6 - defensively was more assured but failed to link up well with JCR in attack

barrett 8 - MOTM, was really fired up and what a goal!

clarke 7 - mopped up well at the back

hammell 5 - pretty poor. im a big fan but his set pieces were shocking on occasions and was caught out (more by being exposed by foran)

jcr - 7.5 worked hard and beat his man but even when released still didn't manage to put in the killer ball

moussa -7 - was really impressed (my first time seeing him for the 1sts)... looked comfortable on the ball and although he definitely isn't an assertive player, has a good tackle and is a big prospect

macca 6 - very quiet

foran 6 - struggling to think of anything positive, switched the ball well but was anonomous as a winger really

bradders 8 - i was really impressed with bradbury today, yes he had a couple of donkey moments but was the hardest working player today and his touch and passing was excellent

hoops 7 - good to see him back... movement was excellent but all his attempts were quickly snuffed out

subs:

harrold 5 - shocking, worst game i've seen from him and had little impact (alhtough the game was long gone)

fans - 10/10.... amazing!!

i thought moussa looked really good today which is a really positive thing and also liked the look of hooper as well. i really think he will have a great season next season

flavs 6.5 - was obviously enjoying the occasion, today it was a complete example of his season, great shotstopping but failed to command his box

francis 6 - defensively was more assured but failed to link up well with JCR in attack

barrett 8 - MOTM, was really fired up and what a goal!

clarke 7 - mopped up well at the back

hammell 5 - pretty poor. im a big fan but his set pieces were shocking on occasions and was caught out (more by being exposed by foran)

jcr - 7.5 worked hard and beat his man but even when released still didn't manage to put in the killer ball

moussa -7 - was really impressed (my first time seeing him for the 1sts)... looked comfortable on the ball and although he definitely isn't an assertive player, has a good tackle and is a big prospect

macca 6 - very quiet

foran 6 - struggling to think of anything positive, switched the ball well but was anonomous as a winger really

bradders 8 - i was really impressed with bradbury today, yes he had a couple of donkey moments but was the hardest working player today and his touch and passing was excellent

hoops 7 - good to see him back... movement was excellent but all his attempts were quickly snuffed out

subs:

harrold 5 - shocking, worst game i've seen from him and had little impact (alhtough the game was long gone)

fans - 10/10.... amazing!!

Flavs, yep. One decent save but 2 goals, especially the first, which a more dominant keeper would've prevented. The 2nd goal looked a foul, but Darryl had more than enough time to see that ball come in to claim easily.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Francis, I thought he showed some great flashes today. Even more so as he was up against Bale. With a bit of work and experience I really do think Francis could be a top player.

I thought Clarke was outstanding again today. God I hope we don't lose him in the summer.

Moussa, great. Top prospect. 17? Crikey.

Foran, I'm not a fan, but I thought he did well in the first half. He gave a toss which made a difference. 2nd half though he disappeared into obscurity.

Bradbury, I thought in the first 20 mins showed class, but he seemed to wilt when the tough got going, which for him is odd. He's a had a long hard slog of a season up there though and the legs are going.

Hooper, I thought showed promise. He didn't get any service at all, yet you still think he might conjure something up, a bit like Freddy. For a teenager he's damn strong as well, which is a great attribute to have. Make sure he signs up Tilly! He could be a big player next year.

I think we should find out what they were feeding Hoops at Orient because he seems a lot bigger now than he was a few months ago.

I think we should find out what they were feeding Hoops at Orient because he seems a lot bigger now than he was a few months ago.

I said that! Looked taller for some reason. I laid it down to the white boots, which look bigger than black ones. :p

Have to agree with Andy_S, I thought Francis handled Bale, who I thought was fantastic going forward for them, very well.

Bradbury put a lot of effort in and made a lot of running, but every touch he made seemed to lead to Southampton getting the ball, whether through poor control or by selling a teammate short with a simple pass. Hooper made some good runs, but never seemed to recieve the ball, as yet again we ended up relying on hoofing the ball away desperately as the pressure continued to build.
Ah good! At least one person who won't shoot my views on Bradbury today in the fbm ratings thread down in flames. :angel:

I have to say that IMHO, with the Fredmeister going as given, if we start next season with a choice of Bradbury, Foran & Harrold as even one of our two main strikers we are going to be in deep do do. If we start with them as 1st choice for both places up front I even hate to think of that. But 2 of them have 2 more years to run on their contracts, so they'll be in no rush.

Back