• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sherif H

Omar's older brother
Negatives today...

1 - We are still making schoolboy errors at the back. The defending for the first goal was lacklustre to say the least. These slow starts are going to cost us dearly this season.
2 - Stevie Hammell - IMHO he had an absolute stinker defensively today, and his decision making was poor all round. He is better than this, and I hope he can reclaim his form over time as Mark Gower has started to do.
3 - Crowd - 380 odd brave souls made the trip up, but the atmosphere was pretty pathetic. Admittedly the scoreline and weather did not help, but there really was little attempt to make much noise.
4 - Referee - This guy was an absolute joke and ruined the game with the ridiculous sending off of Nicky Bailey...a suspension we could really do without coming into a key part of our season. He made no attempt to let the game flow, and added insult to injury by giving them a free penalty when little/no contact was made with their man. The ensuing save saw justice done to some extent. Getting seriously miffed with the (lack of) quality of the refs in this league.

Positives today...

1 - Charlie Macdonald - This guy never stopped running...he was comitted, tracked back and looked quite dangerous when backing into their defenders. He clearly has an ability to turn his marker, and with some decent service behind him, I am convinced he will score goals. Tilly, the man must start next week.

2 - The table - Despite the oddball decisions from the 'referee' today, the pattern of results and level of performance against the current top 6 leads me to believe that we simply don't have the squad to finish in the automatic places. I do however think that below the top 6, the league is crammed full of mediocrity who can quite clearly beat eachother. This, combined with a good run of form at home should see us cement a play-off place. I am convinced we are good enough to achieve this goal at least. I just hope we sign Leon!

Regarding your point about the sending off, I was listening to BBC Essex and apparantley the commentator and every single person in the press office lounge, agreed it was defo sending off.

Stupid first yellow and a daft challenge 3 minutes later.

How did the Swansea get away with virtually grabing the ball with one hand and not get booked for it

I was looking at the replays in the concourse at half time and it was never a sending off...a warning at best IMHO.

How did the Swansea get away with virtually grabing the ball with one hand and not get booked for it

A deliberate handball...pure petulance and a sure yellow card...hardly got a talking to. The theme of the day :(

was actually nice to see that many away fans, everyone whos come down here so far has not brought to many and when they did(forest first game 900 odd).. made no noise.

so yeah was kind of nice coming up steps to see that even if it wasnt tuns.

was actually nice to see that many away fans, everyone whos come down here so far has not brought to many and when they did(forest first game 900 odd).. made no noise.

so yeah was kind of nice coming up steps to see that even if it wasnt tuns.

Cheers swansjackarmy glad we made plenty of noise though not as much as last time I'm sure.
It won't be forgotten how your fans applauded the Southend team last time when we hadjust got promotion. Best of luck for the rest of the season apart from the return game.

I was looking at the replays in the concourse at half time and it was never a sending off...a warning at best IMHO.

You're in a better position to judge that one that one as I was only listening on the radio. Do you think though that the decision was influenced as Bailey had only gobbed off at the ref 2 mins before?

Deserves a big fine for not keeping out of the refs way for 10 mins for so :thump:

Have none of you ever seen Beeby reffing before ? He is one of the refs that you keep your mouth shut if you are playing. The man is so book-happy that players should be sent out to play with their mouths taped up.

:cool:np, im not sure if you was singing or not cause im in our singing blocks bit, but didnt look it but didnt exactly have much to cheer even if you wasnt. :)

Negatives today...

1 - We are still making schoolboy errors at the back. The defending for the first goal was lacklustre to say the least. These slow starts are going to cost us dearly this season.
2 - Stevie Hammell - IMHO he had an absolute stinker defensively today, and his decision making was poor all round. He is better than this, and I hope he can reclaim his form over time as Mark Gower has started to do.
3 - Crowd - 380 odd brave souls made the trip up, but the atmosphere was pretty pathetic. Admittedly the scoreline and weather did not help, but there really was little attempt to make much noise.
4 - Referee - This guy was an absolute joke and ruined the game with the ridiculous sending off of Nicky Bailey...a suspension we could really do without coming into a key part of our season. He made no attempt to let the game flow, and added insult to injury by giving them a free penalty when little/no contact was made with their man. The ensuing save saw justice done to some extent. Getting seriously miffed with the (lack of) quality of the refs in this league.

Positives today...

1 - Charlie Macdonald - This guy never stopped running...he was comitted, tracked back and looked quite dangerous when backing into their defenders. He clearly has an ability to turn his marker, and with some decent service behind him, I am convinced he will score goals. Tilly, the man must start next week.

2 - The table - Despite the oddball decisions from the 'referee' today, the pattern of results and level of performance against the current top 6 leads me to believe that we simply don't have the squad to finish in the automatic places. I do however think that below the top 6, the league is crammed full of mediocrity who can quite clearly beat eachother. This, combined with a good run of form at home should see us cement a play-off place. I am convinced we are good enough to achieve this goal at least. I just hope we sign Leon!

How about the negative that, other than MacDonald's hugely wayward first half effort, we didn't muster a single shot at goal?

Pathetic.

I wanted to limit the huge potential number of negatives, as I think the game was over after the sending off...but yes, the shots on target figure was slim to say the least!

I wouldn't call it pathetic given the sending off. If we'd had that shot total at full time with 11 men then I would've agreed.

Agreed on that. However, some have said that the sending off was pathetic and by all accounts, after having been booked for dissent, to then go in hard on a tackle is very silly to say the least. We really do need to sort out our discipline at times as these kind of incidents are going to cost us this year if we're not careful and we don't exactly have the greatest amount of strength in depth to replace suspended players.

Agreed on that. However, some have said that the sending off was pathetic and by all accounts, after having been booked for dissent, to then go in hard on a tackle is very silly to say the least. We really do need to sort out our discipline at times as these kind of incidents are going to cost us this year if we're not careful and we don't exactly have the greatest amount of strength in depth to replace suspended players.

Agreed in return :D

As I've said in a couple of other threads, regardless if the ref got it right or not, the last thing you do if you've just been booked is give him an opportunity to whistle you a couple of minutes later.

I really do think that Bailey has to take a large share of the blame for the red, even if it wasn't a foul.

Agreed in return :D

As I've said in a couple of other threads, regardless if the ref got it right or not, the last thing you do if you've just been booked is give him an opportunity to whistle you a couple of minutes later.

I really do think that Bailey has to take a large share of the blame for the red, even if it wasn't a foul.

Agreed once again. Subtlety is not exactly our players' strong point is it?! :hilarious:

Regarding your point about the sending off, I was listening to BBC Essex and apparantley the commentator and every single person in the press office lounge, agreed it was defo sending off.

Stupid first yellow and a daft challenge 3 minutes later.

I thought it was 35 seconds later?

Looking on Virgin Media the foul does look like a booking to me.

The dissent may have been questionable but on a yellow I dont think the ref had much choice to be honest.

Looking on Virgin Media the foul does look like a booking to me.

The dissent may have been questionable but on a yellow I dont think the ref had much choice to be honest.

agree with that.. hopefully Nicky will learn from this

agree with that.. hopefully Nicky will learn from this

Yeah he had to go really, it was obvious. The first yellow was silly, the second wasn't quite as bad as it first looked but was obviously going to be a red due to where the incident occurred. Did he deserve a red over the two incidents? Possibly not, especially considering what a couple of the Swansea players got away with (like a certain leaping-grabbing-the-ball-out-ofthe-air-with-both-hands incident), but it just never really happened on the day did it?

Not sure I agree with the assessment of McDonald though. He didn't stop running agreed, and had little support (some of our players resembled snowmen out there), but the few times he did get the ball he wasted it. His (and our) one shot was tame, he got penalised for handling it twice within a minute or so when trying to bring it down and always looekd second to everything...

I think more than anything, it wasn't really his kind of game. We needed to be stronger in the middle and hit them hard on the counterattack after the sending off, but sadly didn't have an answer. Hopefully we can get those couple of injuries sorted and be back to normal come Saturday

Back