• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Suomi Shrimper

First XI
To my girlfriend's house in Liverpool. First brief impressions: crap game, unimaginative attempts at playing football with intermittent quick forays forward with no real end result (from both sides).

The major news has to be Bailey's headbutt on Macca. Exactly what happened and what blows connected will have to be established from any video evidence that shows up, but it certainly looked like a volatile confrontation from the Cowshed. Following the goal they seemed to have a heated "blame game" argument which led to them squaring up and it certainly looked like Nicky landed a headbutt on Macca. Then AB stepped in and kept the two apart as they continued to yell at each other. The two seemed to have apologised to each other briefly, but they avoided each other for the rest of the game and Macca headed straight down the tunnel at the end.

This kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated, particularly at such a crucial time of the season when team morale is essential. If Bailey did assault Alan, he needs to make a public apology and should face discplinary action from the club (2 weeks docked wages perhaps). The FA may well call him up for violent conduct, in which case Nicky's short temper will likely see him banned for the remainder of the season.

This is a turning point for him. He could apologise, move on from this and control his temper. Alternatively, he may have caused too much acrimony within the squad, in which case it will be in the best interests of him and the Club to move on in the summer. I hope things work out, but whilst he may be our best player he may just have ended his career at Southend.

To my girlfriend's house in Liverpool. First brief impressions: crap game, unimaginative attempts at playing football with intermittent quick forays forward with no real end result (from both sides).

The major news has to be Bailey's headbutt on Macca. Exactly what happened and what blows connected will have to be established from any video evidence that shows up, but it certainly looked like a volatile confrontation from the Cowshed. Following the goal they seemed to have a heated "blame game" argument which led to them squaring up and it certainly looked like Nicky landed a headbutt on Macca. Then AB stepped in and kept the two apart as they continued to yell at each other. The two seemed to have apologised to each other briefly, but they avoided each other for the rest of the game and Macca headed straight down the tunnel at the end.

This kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated, particularly at such a crucial time of the season when team morale is essential. If Bailey did assault Alan, he needs to make a public apology and should face discplinary action from the club (2 weeks docked wages perhaps). The FA may well call him up for violent conduct, in which case Nicky's short temper will likely see him banned for the remainder of the season.

This is a turning point for him. He could apologise, move on from this and control his temper. Alternatively, he may have caused too much acrimony within the squad, in which case it will be in the best interests of him and the Club to move on in the summer. I hope things work out, but whilst he may be our best player he may just have ended his career at Southend.

Fooking great ! I hope you are over reacting and that it all dies down PDQ .

Mac n Bailey

Listened to match on radio until they annoyingly switched to Layer Road for last 10 mins. Didn't hear anything about Macca n Bailey squaring up but I have to say Uni Brum you seem to be over-reacting somewhat.
I haven't heard that the two players don't get on so to suggest that Bailey should be fined or even leave the club(!!) is ludicrous. Surely it was just a vent of frustration over what was clearly a disappointing performance.

Listened to match on radio until they annoyingly switched to Layer Road for last 10 mins. Didn't hear anything about Macca n Bailey squaring up but I have to say Uni Brum you seem to be over-reacting somewhat.
I haven't heard that the two players don't get on so to suggest that Bailey should be fined or even leave the club(!!) is ludicrous. Surely it was just a vent of frustration over what was clearly a disappointing performance.

They did mention it on the commentary, said they had to be pulled apart which ties up with what Uni Brum is saying.

I saw Bailey & McCormack out in town one saturday night a few weeks back. They seem to get on very well on and off the pitch. I doubt it's that serious or else surely Brush would have subbed one of them.

BBC Essex mentioned the confrontation but certainly didn't mention a headbutt and I doubt McCormack would have just let it go had Bailey made a serious effort to hurt him.

Amazing scenario. Thing is, put yourself in the players position - how many people from your workplace get on with 100% and in truth even really like? You are thrown together by circumstance and have to muck in and get on professionally with each other and even if there are spats now and again these have to be overcome and sorted.

Why does it have to be the end for Macca or Nicky at Southend? I was not there so cannot comment on the incident that seems to have taken place but T&B will I am sure sort this out between the two players and all hopefully resolve the matter ASAP for the good of the club.

Both Bailey and Macca are top class performers for SUFC and a stupid moment (whilst most regrettable and indeed embarressing that it took place in view of all seemingly) should not be allowed to spoil so much good that has surrounded the club throughout the season.

Message to all therefore, please resolve the matter now and let's concentrate on getting back into the Championship come the end of this season.

Just back and I have to say I could not believe what I saw between Macca & Bailey. They were arguing/pointing at each other walking back to the centre after Tranmere scored and all of a sudden Bailey just landed a head butt right on Macca. Barrett and Clarke stepped in to restrain any further confrontation. Having watched Southend for many years I can certainly say I have never ever seen anything like this between two Southend players.

It will be interesting to see if Tilly and Brush spotted anything. Perhaps they did not sub either of them to keep the spotlight off them. Tilly was sat up next to Ron Martin & Geoff King, so I would imagine they would have not been best pleased to have witnessed what went on.

Could the FA take action taking in to account video evidence? If so I think it will be the end of Bailey's season, which will be a massive lose for us.

At least our bad game is out of the way now before the play off's!

I'm not suggesting that Bailey or Macca should leave the club. The only reason I mentioned this possible outcome is because it the physical altercation was caused by something that was said between the two of them. Most likely it was something along the lines of the following:

"I say, Alan, why the devil did you allow that player in the white jersey to score that goal?"
"Now now, Nicholas, that's not quite on - you were the gentleman charged with marking that gadabout!"
"I disagree wholeheartedly, good sir, and thus I challenge you to some cranial fisticuffs."

However, harsher words can cause offence even between friends. I'm sure the two will kiss and make up, and there will be no long-lasting acrimony between the two that would affect general squad morale. Were this to happen though, they may not be able to maintain a working relationship, hence the possibility of one of them leaving the club.

This aside, if one of our players assaults a teammate on the field of play, he brings disrepute to the players, the management and the name of the club, no matter how riled up or provoked he is. Nicky's attitude certainly contributes in part to the no-nonsense style of which we are all so fond, but it has gotten him into too much trouble. A fine or similar disciplinary action from the club could be what he needs to iron out these negative aspects of his professional game and character.

I heard about it when i got back from football and i said to Em - surely it would have been best for one of them to be subbed and to bring on the Mooooose!? Im sure it affected the team badly and is probably why we didn't force an equaliser!

Kev

missed this-but then again-fell asleep in the 46th and didnt wake up until 85th. Francis and Gower looked like they were protecting themselves for two weeks time. Hopefully this will ground us for the push over the next few weeks. Up the blues!

Rows erupt all the time, Admittedly they don't always surface on the pitch, but i'd imagine it's safe to say it was nipped in the bud as soon as was humanly possible.

Literally just got in the door. All I can say about that game was that it was worse then Barca vs. Man Utd on wednesday.

The normally loud lot were surprisingly quiet for once, I guess they were stairing at TB's hair :stunned:

I'm sure the McCormack and Bailey incident will be all sorted out before the next game but must admit could not believe what I was seeing. I noticed at the end of the game all the players game over to applaud us apart from McCormack so make of that what you will. All in all a poor game really but at the end of the day we had to get beat some time so better now then in the play offs.

wasnt there today so cant comment on the incident but Bailey was lucky to stay on the pitch last week after his revenge mission straight after he got done and now this week - slightly worried we could end in with 10 men in these play off games with him so fired up

Dear Alan ,

One of my best mates was really beastly towards me today .When we go away we room together and when we are not working we go and have a game of golf on our afternoons off - that's how good a mate he is . Then when he didn't do his work today and I called him a lazy goodfornothing he got really annoyed and head-butted me .

What should I do ? Is it best to just play the incident down or should I let him know how I feel and storm out in a massive sulk ?

Alan

Just got back myself, the bailey macca incident is 100% spot on by brum, and no over reaction, i did actually post about it as it happened as i was so bored i was on the zone on the phone!

I really hope these two sort it out, they are the best of pals off the pitch, so there is no reason why it hasn't already been sorted.

J, was it a full-blown headbutt or a kind of head-to-head confrontation?

I'm sure there's a difference.

I was at the game, and unfortunately, Brum Uni's recollection of the events surrounding Macca and Bailey are pretty much spot on - I don't think I can ever recall seeing that from anyone in a Southend shirt before!

Passion and caring for the cause is one thing, to actually head butt a team mate, no matter how charged up you are, is inexcusable, and Macca was visibly affected by this for the remainder of the game - his head, pardon the pun, was gone.

I believe the incident started over Macca lambasting Bailey about not covering, presumably, the guy who scored - this is, of course, guess work on my part as my hearing is not quite so accute as to hear the conversaion from 80 yards away, but that was what it looked like. Trouble is, if we bear in mind how Macca spoke to Black the other week, if he did the same to Bailey, maybe he took exception to it? Either way, you don't air your dirty linen in public, and at the very least, this has to be dealt with internally by the club in terms of a disciplinary measure - I wouldn't rule out something more sinister from the FA.

On a side note, the team roled into the same services as we were in on the way home, and I had a long chat with AB - His take on the situation, and I quote, 'they're both a couple of tarts'!!! Macca and Bailey were both on the coach, and neither seemed to be sporting anything resembling a shiner, and the team spirit amongst all of them seemed to be superb, so I don't think it will cause any long lasting problems - In AB's words, they will 'kiss and make up'!!

Back