• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hooly

Keeper of the Lucky Gherkin⭐
Back here in old Maldon town reflecting on what was a superb performance by the Mighty Shrimpers, just a couple of points on the night.

Swindon had 2 lumps up front superbly marshalled by Prior & Barrett, but the key for me was the way we blocked any supply from out wide.  Hunt & Petts were nothing short of brilliant down the right where the Robins wanted to use the pace of the winger.  On the other side Cheese & Nicky were just as good with less of an attacking threat from Swindon but with Nicky not only terrorising their wider players but also getting blocks in all over the midfield.  As a defensive display it was one of the best for many years.

All credit to Darryl who took the 3 high balls in the 1st half & made a couple of smart saves in the 2nd.  But to be honest we snuffed all Swindon's ideas out with magnificent hard work & a pretty fair amount of skill.

Lawrie up front deserved the goal showing on more than one occasion pace I didn't think he had.  Being marked by the lump Heywood probably helped & they were desperate to keep Gray away from him!  Waynes efforts sometimes go unnoticed but that searing flash of pace can mean the difference as it did to win the corner from which Nicky scored.

All in all an absolutely superb performance in all areas.  MoM for me is a tough call from Lewis, Duds, Petts & Nicky.  Personally as some people think he's not upto much I'd just shade Petts mainly for his work rate, the number of tackles he won, the way he closed people down & you watch his 1st touch over the next few weeks as even off tough balls he doesn't give much away.

Play like that on Saturday & we'll murder Darlo!  But can we?  
rock.gif

Happy Clappy Piers

The only slight disappointment I had was with Gray. Sitting up the top of the East as I did tonight really highlights how slow he can be to react to loose balls sometimes. Whilst Dudfield reacted to every sniff, Gray was so often caught on his heels.

I'd like to see Lawrie and Tes together up front again on Saturday.
cool.gif

I thought they would have taken Gray off sooner for Eastwood, especially as Gray took a bit of a knock during the game! But all in all i thought Gray worked his socks off!

Bentley was a let down again i'm afraid! He gave the ball away a fair bit, but he did try hard!

UP THE BLUES!

Didn't go but a couple of points to add.

Dudfield is a lot quicker than people realise and fully utilises it by playing right on the defenders shoulder but he rarely seems to be caught offside doing this.

Holmes their left winger is supposed to be an exceptional little player and if he was quiet, this says a lot for Petts and Hunt

Much as I've liked Tes in the past & agree that Wayne can look lacksadasical at times I don't think Tes can give the full game effort that we need. To me he drifts out of the game too much, too often. It's in there somewhere but numerous coaches have failed to get it from him. No, for me give Lawrie & Wayne a run with Freddy & Wayne as the rotation alternative, which with tough games coming up we will need. Tes is reduced to a squad player only for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 25 2005,23:37)]Holmes their left winger is supposed to be an exceptional little player and if he was quiet, this says a lot for Petts and Hunt
Wondered what his name was. They did seem to want to play down that side, but as you suggested Hunt & Petts basically took him, entirely fairly, out of the game & reduced him to falling over to get freekicks until Swindon gave up with him & took him off. Great stuff!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Jan. 25 2005,23:33)]The only slight disappointment I had was with Gray. Sitting up the top of the East as I did tonight really highlights how slow he can be to react to loose balls sometimes. Whilst Dudfield reacted to every sniff, Gray was so often caught on his heels.

I'd like to see Lawrie and Tes together up front again on Saturday.
cool.gif
Getting off the mark is his problem and he doesn't seem to notice that the ball is being played forward and therefore doesn't react quickly enough. Needs to be more focused but cannot be faulted for workrate.

Back