• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Welly7

Coach
It's a word that I've seen bounded about on here and heard it mentioned by many post play offs. How we have progressed this year, Sturrock's second full season in charge. I suppose points wise and final placing in the table suggests we have improved under Luggy, but after five days since we drew with Crewe I've wondered...what was Sturrock's better achievement - his first or second season as Southend manager?

When he arrived he had nothing of note to work with and somehow managed to put together a squad that achieved a respectable mid-table position. This time around, he had a far greater pool of players at his disposal and ultimately he failed to take us up. Yes, we went close, but I still feel this was a huge opportunity missed with that squad in mind.

I'm still gutted at missing out. At another season in league two. I wonder whether he can deliver a better season than this and therefore, in my mind, question his ability to take us up. It was there for the taking, but he couldn't manage it.

I'm not moaning about Sturrock for the sake of it. After thinking about it for a few days, I don't want him sacked. He deserves another shot, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with his performance over the second half of the season. In certain games I felt he hampered our chances of winning them rather than help. I know he won games too, but at crucial times in the season he got it wrong - he admitted as much himself on more than one occasion.

As for his style of football, I don't really care. I want to see a winning team, but when going direct and it's not working why persist. If he wants to hit the forwards early then play big men up front - not Benyon and Eastwood. There is little evidence of PS diverting from his philosophy of how to win games, but I feel that's a negative too. Football evolves and good teams in league two need to do more than hit the forwards early/smash it into forward areas to win promotion. Swindon, Shrewsbury, Crawley and Crewe are proof of that.

Sturrock's paranoia about the fans views on 'hoofball' is pointless too. Why concern himself with it? I was hoping for an explaination why we failed...'December cost us' wasn't enough. I didn't want to read about what he thinks about fans bemoaning 'hoofball.' I wanted to read about a plan to take us forwards. On how he could improve us next time around. How he could learn and improve too. Because, if he replicates this season then that means not only the good things he did, but the bad also and that will not get us promoted next season either.

In answer to my own question, Sturrock's better work was in his first year in charge in my opinion. Only four pro's on board in the summer of 2010. Built a team from nothing and restored pride and belief to the fans after some very concerning times for all. Failing to get promotion with a squad that was, on paper, as good - no better - than Swindon's isn't nothing to reflect upon as a season of 'progress.'

In terms of points tally and goals scored and away wins a mass imp[rovement on last season.

Still think home form let us down a little and in terms of where we once were in the Autos I think we went considerably backwards. For me we should have let that daylight cave in on us as far as autos were concerned.

Meant to have said we should never have let that daylight in the autos cave in on us.

I actually agree with your point about his paranoia with fans views. Surely he has been in the game long enough to realise that most fans are at best knee-jerk and at worst absolutely clueless about the game. Just ignore the nonsense, and never go on Shrimperzone after a bad result!

I actually agree with your point about his paranoia with fans views. Surely he has been in the game long enough to realise that most fans are at best knee-jerk and at worst absolutely clueless about the game. Just ignore the nonsense, and never go on Shrimperzone after a bad result!

That is a bit harsh on a lot of fans IMO. Are you saying PS is some sort of Football Messiah then and can never come under any form of criticism or be questioned?

Not at all Cricko, there may be people behind the scenes he bounces things off or consults when he is not sure, you never stop learning and I am sure he questions some of his own methods sometimes.

But for such an experienced manager to take to heart the views of people who only see the team once a fortnight (or in some cases once a week) as opposed to every day in training is surprising. And let's face it, football fans are hardly objective observers are they?

No where, as we're still in League 2.

Forget the 83 points as it means the same thing as finishing with 63 or 53, still in League 2!

We miss Dickinson, as soon as he was ruled out injured our 'direct' game got found out. People comment saying a lot of Dicko's goals were from the spot. Which is true, but he's still got to step up and put it away, when was the last time we actually won a pen? I don't think we have since Liam has been out!

There was no point bringing Freddy back if we were going to continue playing the same way. Freddy isn't Dickinson, they have different strengths. Freddy needs the ball to feet and that's where he can hurt you. The same can be said for Benyon, completely pointless playing long ball to them 2.

My point being, we don't have a plan b, we're too predictable. I don't have a problem with long ball, hoof ball, whatever you want to call it when it's working. When it's not working, we need to be able to mix it up.

And let's face it, football fans are hardly objective observers are they?

as has been shown on here in the last week since we "only" finished 4th in the league.

There are 24 teams in league 2. Only 4 go up. If we are not one of them, it doesn't mean people need sacking and are rubbish it just means we were not quite as good as the 4 that went up. Good, but not quite good enough. But then I supppose all the Sturrock bashers on here are absolutely perfect at their jobs and never make mistakes.......

I actually agree with your point about his paranoia with fans views. Surely he has been in the game long enough to realise that most fans are at best knee-jerk and at worst absolutely clueless about the game.

Speak for yourself !

Well when sturrock came in we had no team and finished mid table in league which is regression on the previous season as we were in league 1.

That is not sturrocks fault and we have this season bounced back and where very unfortunate not to get back in league 1 next season.

Will we progress again next season?

Well will we keep key player and will we he be given the means to add real quality in weak areas?

If Ron martin allows us to get the targets that sturrock sets out then we will go up if we sell and cut back we wont .

Either way if sturrock fails to get promotion next season then he will be gone and if we are stuck in midtable at christmas then i beleive the same will apply.

Its a big season for the club and sturrock in particular

I think it's quite clear that we've made significant progress since Sturrock took over. For example, just compare the squad this season and the signings we've made compared to last season. The likes of Timlin, Martin, Dickinson and Eastwood have all come from higher levels. We've actually spent money on players! Compare them with the likes of Louie Soares, Sofienne Zaaboub and Adam Bouzid. Things are also more stable off the field (we think, touch wood) and next season we'll surely be strong favourites to go up, which I don't recall us being at the start of this season.

Back