• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
...and what can you remember of it? My first was home to QPR in 1965. I was 9 and was amazed it was in colour! It was a Friday night as I recall.

Who here went earlier than that?

article-2264693-1705910A000005DC-184_964x781.jpg

Cricko can be seen here in 1924 at the first Essex senior cup tie. It was a present from his grandson.

Historical fact: In 1924 Essex was so big that even parts of what is now Yorkshire were in the boundaries of the county.

April 1981 for me, a 0-0 top of the table clash against Lincoln. Crowd was in the region of 11,000 which now days would fill Roots Hall, back then the ground held 30,000. I stood on the old South Bank, just remember thinking how big the ground felt, of course the south bank was one of the largest in the country at the time i believe. The love affair began....

April 1981 for me, a 0-0 top of the table clash against Lincoln. Crowd was in the region of 11,000 which now days would fill Roots Hall, back then the ground held 30,000. I stood on the old South Bank, just remember thinking how big the ground felt, of course the south bank was one of the largest in the country at the time i believe. The love affair began....

I feel your pain!

It was about the same era I think Mid 60's, it was against Workington.I had been over Priory Park being a ball boy for the first team and they gave me a ticket for helping out. That was it after that.. Trevor Roberts, R.I.P gave me a ticket every game for awhile... Lawrie Leslie a bit later was a good bloke to...got me sticking numbers onto the wooden seats in the East stand at that time and gave me tickets.

I eventually started playing with the reserves a few years later but it did not come to anything. The highest I ever got was playing for Essex bizarrely in goal,I was quite good, (I blame Trevor) and Southend schools as midfield...Very odd as I was always wing or striker after that.

October 1962,home win against Bristol Rovers 3-2 with Mckinven hat trick. Cant remember anything really just standing in paddocks in front of East Stand (north bank end). Must have enjoyed it as I keep going back.

Does this mean i'm older than Cricko :'(

Can beat that 1947 team Hanky Linton Walton [ bacame chairman ] Harris Jackson [got

...and what can you remember of it? My first was home to QPR in 1965. I was 9 and was amazed it was in colour! It was a Friday night as I recall.

April 1969 vs Bradford Park Avenue. We won 5-0 with Billy Best and Gary Moore both getting a couple. I returned 4 days later to see us beat Swansea 4-0 with Gary Moore getting a hat trick this time and another for King Billy. I was 10 years old; what chance did I have against that? I'm still infected 45 years later! I reckon it's uncurable.

October 1962,home win against Bristol Rovers 3-2 with Mckinven hat trick. Cant remember anything really just standing in paddocks in front of East Stand (north bank end). Must have enjoyed it as I keep going back.

Is that even possible? :dim:

April 1969 vs Bradford Park Avenue. We won 5-0 with Billy Best and Gary Moore both getting a couple. I returned 4 days later to see us beat Swansea 4-0 with Gary Moore getting a hat trick this time and another for King Billy. I was 10 years old; what chance did I have against that? I'm still infected 45 years later! I reckon it's uncurable.

Billy Best and Gary Moore were the dream team..... Loved those days.:smile:

Can beat that ... 1947 Team ... Hanky, Linton, Walton [ he became chairman, South stand named after him ] Harris, Jackson [ would you believe he got married that morning ] Montgomary, Sibley, Smirk, Thompson, Bennet, Lane. Beat Notts County 3 0. Give away my age, I lied and got in the best seats for juniors. Price half a crown - 15p

Can beat that ... 1947 Team ... Hanky, Linton, Walton [ he became chairman, South stand named after him ] Harris, Jackson [ would you believe he got married that morning ] Montgomary, Sibley, Smirk, Thompson, Bennet, Lane. Beat Notts County 3 0. Give away my age, I lied and got in the best seats for juniors. Price half a crown - 15p

I only remember Sibley who became our PE teacher at Eton House, Frank Walton obviously. He had an office block on the corner of West road and North road ..was it Alf Smirk who later became a journalist?

Everybody has their own cross to bare Oldtimer. :dim:

Your definitely not older than Cricko and if so he must of had a really tough paper round. :winking:

1957 or 58.....thrashed Coventry 5-0 or 5-1, the old memory ain't what it used to be. Coybb tonight. Wifing here in sunny tenerife.

1957 or 58.....thrashed Coventry 5-0 or 5-1, the old memory ain't what it used to be. Coybb tonight. Wifing here in sunny tenerife.

March 8 1958, 5-1. Att: 9881 goals from John McGuigan (2), Dougie Price (2) and Kevin Baron.

Ah Tenerife my favourite holiday destination. Many's the time I have followed blues defeats from there. Hope you are luckier tonight.:thumbsup:

Yes it was. Alf Smirk wrote for the local paper.. Bill Garner days. Regards.

Late 1960s Fri night , we beat Workington 7-0 Only needed 10 points from last 10 games after that to ensure promotion - needless to say we blew it !!!!!! Still hooked on a team "destined to disappoint":smile:

Back