• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

V Northampton, November 1952, was taken by my Mum and Dad.Sat on their laps,Both keen supporters of SUFC,although my Mum was also a follower of Sunderland,where she came from.

1971 at Roots Hall vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup. We won 1-0, Bill Garner goal I think, former shrimper Chico Hamilton playing for Villa. Stood in the paddocks, watched big on field punch up between fans before the game.

Aptly a 0-0 goalless draw at home to Fulham in 1981 - aged just 8. Got lifted over the boards and sat by edge of pitch for whole of second half. Too young to really get into it but was a regular home and away by the time I was 17. Not sure what it was but completely fell head over heels in love with Southend. The ardour still runs strong in my loins.

Just back from Myanmar last night after 13 hour flight so my body clock thinks its time for afternoon chai! Looks like I'm gonna come in 2nd here at the moment as my first game was in 1951. My dad joined the Navy and left Southend but after the war and stationed in Chatham docks , he started taking me back to visit his family and we took in a game on each visit , but can't remember who it was against and brain currently scrambled! Note to self stay away for a while as started to win well at Home, great to be back though and just keep staring at the league table!
Made sure my four children were subsequently all taken at the age of five, regards to all!

April 1981 for me, a 0-0 top of the table clash against Lincoln. Crowd was in the region of 11,000 which now days would fill Roots Hall, back then the ground held 30,000. I stood on the old South Bank, just remember thinking how big the ground felt, of course the south bank was one of the largest in the country at the time i believe. The love affair began....

I seem to recall the South Bank wasn't the safest place to be that day!

Remember it well.

1968 at home to Bradford City.

A 2-1 win and we stood on the old South Bank.

Man, that was a great view right at the top there. Stood there for the 0-0 with Liverpool, too and many other games.

Sadly missed.

My first game was home to Cardiff in FA Cup, Jan '76. A 2-1 win.

The year we got to the 5th Round and only lost 1-0 to Derby, who were then one of the best teams in the country under Dave MacKay, following on from the Clough era, of course.

Took a few thousand to that one. Remember going on a specially chartered train. Non-stop from Southend Victoria to Derby.

Great day out.

21st September 1957 Southend 3 Southampton 2 in Division Three South crowd about 15,000. McCrory, Baron and McGuigan the scorers for us. Sam McCrory went on to score 30 in the League! I stood in the old South Bank high up with my Dad.

April 1969 vs Bradford Park Avenue. We won 5-0 with Billy Best and Gary Moore both getting a couple. I returned 4 days later to see us beat Swansea 4-0 with Gary Moore getting a hat trick this time and another for King Billy. I was 10 years old; what chance did I have against that? I'm still infected 45 years later! I reckon it's uncurable.

Blow me Suffolk Blue, that was my very first match too! I was obviously hooked/duped after that fine introduction. I think Kevin Hector played for BPA that night, who I have had a soft spot for ever since....

First game for me was against Northampton on Sat.8th November 1947(I was 15 years old,the game was played at The Stadium and ended with a 3-1victory for the mighty Blues)I've spent 68 years watching OUR team and certainly could'nt support any other and was convinced at that time I would one day watch them in the 1st division(as was then) what hope do I have, almost none I guess, but I still love it.By the way the fixture above was Div.3 and we were 16th in the table,QPR were top and LEYTON ORIENT bottom.How do I know this? I still have the program which cost 2d old money.

Blow me Suffolk Blue, that was my very first match too! I was obviously hooked/duped after that fine introduction. I think Kevin Hector played for BPA that night, who I have had a soft spot for ever since....
Kevin Hector did not play in the above match as he was transferred to Derby County in 1966. Although I think he may have played against us in our first season in Division 4?. His outstanding league record for BPA was 113 goals in 176 matches.

my first game was at Coventry in 1962, I was visiting some relations who watched the Sky Blues, and we came from Southend so they took me along. The match was like a fairytale - 3-1 down, pulled a goal back which seemed irrelevant then Mike Beesley scored twice in the last couple of minutes so we won 4-3 (Beesley got a hat trick.)

I was certainly taken to the greyhound ground by Dad and can remember the 1956 Manchester City game. A local paper used to feature a picture of the crowd and would circle a fan who then got some reward. I was clearly seen in the paper with my Dad and would pay good money to obtain a copy of the paper from that day.:smile:

I'd forgotten all about that. The Evening Echo used to do that when I started going in 1976. Remember scanning the paper trying to spot myself. Never did though.

1971 at Roots Hall vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup. We won 1-0, Bill Garner goal I think, former shrimper Chico Hamilton playing for Villa. Stood in the paddocks, watched big on field punch up between fans before the game.

Before the Blue Belles I'm guessing.:smile:

I seem to recall the South Bank wasn't the safest place to be that day!

Remember it well.

I was attacked by some Lincoln on the South Bank, I defended myself from getting a definite kicking and they backed off. I looked behind me and another large Southend lad was doing the same, he was back to back with me, when he turned around, it was Carl Connors, Lol.

This thread forced me to do the maths, and will be 50 years next year FFS - first home game age 8 in Jan 66 v Mansfield in a relegation season, then became a home regular the following season with my Dad. He gave up in a sulk after late season implosions in 67 & 68 which blew promotion (and developed a sinister theory that the club "didn't want to get promoted"), but I managed to persevere. Used to love the old South Bank under the lights - sitting on the front wall with legs over until the stewards moved you on, and the Programme shop up the top. Somewhere in a loft in Southchurch is a suitcase full of worthless programmes, football league reviews and spiders. Got to stop now as this is becoming too jumpers for goalposts.

Back