• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Before the Blue Belles I'm guessing.:smile:

We had real entertainment in those days. :nope:

2ryhoo3.jpg

Mine was 76 v Bury
Never dreamt that 3 years laster I'd be watching them play home and away to European Champions,Liverpool:smile:

I guess everyone knows the film 'Blo*dy Kids' and the scene at Roots Hall, which was taken after a home match against Bury.

Not sure it was 1976, but was certainly around that era.

I guess everyone knows the film 'Blo*dy Kids' and the scene at Roots Hall, which was taken after a home match against Bury.

Not sure it was 1976, but was certainly around that era.

Filmed in my old school. Ah the memories.

The first game I remember with clarity is a Friday night game in 1965 against Millwall,which we lost 2 0, and there was a big crowd as Millwall were first or second in the division at the time. Although my dad had taken me few times before this game I just don't recall who they were against.

Billy Best and Gary Moore were the dream team..... Loved those days.:smile:
I remember that game because Laurie Brown was playing for Park Avenue as player-manager. Considering he was an Arsenal stalwart about five mins before, it struck me how quickly you can descend in football. I believe the goals came thick and fast inot the North bank end in the second half

We had real entertainment in those days. :nope:

2ryhoo3.jpg
gEven as a kid it struck me what a pointless exercise a brass band was in a strong wind, and often 80 or more yards from their audience. All you could often here was the dull thump of a bass drum and a harrumping tuba now and then.

First game accompanied by pop was Southend 2-2 Portsmouth, August 61. First time on my own Southend 1-1 Bournemouth, August 63: I won a watch describing it in a Blues News edition in the 90s. First away game, and on my own: QPR 4-5 Southend, Jan 64.
It was QPR's lowest gate (4,674) for 30 years; it rained and there was no cover in those days at Loftus Road, unless you mixed it with home fans in the Loft. I took off my Southend rosette...

Back in the late 60's, my Dad had no interest in sport, so I never really got interested myself. Being a bit of a heavy lad and prone to breaking bones, I'd steered clear of football and had started playing golf. I used to caddy for Mike Beesley up at Belfairs. Never knew he was a footballer, but as I caddied for him more and more, we became firm friends. I remember one time at the end of the round, he asked me to check with my Mum that it would be OK for him to pick me up at 7pm the following Wednesday to take me to a football match. It turned out to be the reserves and I got to sit with him and the rest of the first team squad in the East stand. They were all there, as they were expected to be and I was introduced to all of them. The ones I remember most clearly are Tony Bentley and John Baber, because I sat in front of them and Owen Simpson a bit further along, was smoking cigarettes. Sadly, I don't remember a thing about the match or even who it was against. I know it was enough for me, shortly after, to go to watch a League match. That was against Grimsby Town in September 1969(?). I went alone, aged 12, paid one shilling and sixpence to get in the Southbank and stood about twenty steps up from the pitch, half way between the goal and the corner flag. It was a 1-3 defeat in which I'm fairly sure Frank Haydock scored from a penalty and I think there were about 11000 in attendance. Nevertheless, from that moment I was hooked. I don't know if it was this match, but I remember one of the matches being a Saturday evening, so as not to clash with Southend Carnival(???)

I go back to the Grainger Road ground but I cannot recall the first game I saw. I certainly saw the first game at Roots Hall when we beat Norwich 3-1. Some occasion that was.

That was against Grimsby Town in September 1969(?) I went alone, aged 12, paid one shilling and sixpence to get in the Southbank and stood about twenty steps up from the pitch, half way between the goal and the corner flag. It was a 1-3 defeat in which

One shilling and sixpence, adjusted for inflation is £1.14 in today's money. Kids for a quid every match !!

The programme, which I believe was a shilling that year (but I'm not going up in the loft to check!), would be 76p.

I guess everyone knows the film 'Blo*dy Kids' and the scene at Roots Hall, which was taken after a home match against Bury. Not sure it was 1976, but was certainly around that era.

It was 1979, I was working at the Westcliff Hotel at the time, where the cast and crew were staying. They were a rowdy rabble, bar Richard Beckinsale, who was a true gent/great tipper etc. He died only days after I served him a 'tired' tongue and mustard sandwich. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end when I heard of his tragic demise on the radio.......

Blimey, there was some famous names on that cast, as well.

Only realized the other week that the fella who directed it is still directing today, most recently 'Philomena'.

One shilling and sixpence, adjusted for inflation is £1.14 in today's money. Kids for a quid every match !!

The programme, which I believe was a shilling that year (but I'm not going up in the loft to check!), would be 76p.

Would that be the white programme with the drawing of a player heading a ball on the front ?

I was attacked by some Lincoln on the South Bank, I defended myself from getting a definite kicking and they backed off. I looked behind me and another large Southend lad was doing the same, he was back to back with me, when he turned around, it was Carl Connors, Lol.

yes,Lincoln 81,Villa,Sheff.Wed...just a few of the "action" packed games we had those days

This thread forced me to do the maths, and will be 50 years next year FFS - first home game age 8 in Jan 66 v Mansfield in a relegation season, then became a home regular the following season with my Dad. He gave up in a sulk after late season implosions in 67 & 68 which blew promotion (and developed a sinister theory that the club "didn't want to get promoted"), but I managed to persevere. Used to love the old South Bank under the lights - sitting on the front wall with legs over until the stewards moved you on, and the Programme shop up the top. Somewhere in a loft in Southchurch is a suitcase full of worthless programmes, football league reviews and spiders. Got to stop now as this is becoming too jumpers for goalposts.

Remember ,pre-season..68-69...walking past the main office at Roots Hall and bumped into Tony Bentley (and i think Graham Birks),getting their autographs..then saying to T.B "that everyone at school thinks United dont want to go up,coz you get better money(attendence),near the top of the 4th,than near the bottom of the 3rd"..he was upset i said that,of course he said it was not true..im sure it was not

Back