• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Am I right in thinking that the contracts for these two players expired at the end of June?

There has been no announcement on the official site (but that is not unusual) so are we to presume that they are no longer on our books?

Until we hear differently I'd assume that they are no longer Southend players.

I doubt Kalala will get a contract anywhere else whilst he's injured so maybe there will be somethnig here for him when he's fit again if we've not signed a replacement.

The worth of Kalala is dependent on whether we are going to have more possession or less possession than our opponents. He is probably our best player when the opposition have the ball, but our worst when we have it.

Better sign him up, then.

The worth of Kalala is dependent on whether we are going to have more possession or less possession than our opponents. He is probably our best player when the opposition have the ball, but our worst when we have it.

That. Ooooohhhh - suit you. :smiles:

Agreed fully. For me he is almost useless going forward and I dont even rate him that much as an anchor man.

Hey , that's a bit unfair on Gilbert.
He's at least his match when we have the ball...........................

Kalala is quality when we don't have the ball as you have said! I think he is useful going forward but only once he has won the ball from an opponent! Once he has tackled or intercepted he usually finds a ball to a front man or winger! But he isn't creative, well he wasn't last year!

Random question: why does Gilbert get so much grief for hoofing the ball to noone when our center backs do the exact same thing?

Random question: why does Gilbert get so much grief for hoofing the ball to noone when our center backs do the exact same thing?

Because they dont have the outlets a full back has.

To be fair to Gilbert he did it because he was told to, when we played better football in the latter stages his performances "improved", which Im sure was because he wasnt trying to hit "driect passes".

I wonder if Kalala is comparable (obviously down leagues etc) in a situation like Lampard and Gerard in that he had difficulty playing alongside Grantie, he had some good games and I am trying to recall who he was partnered with then; I think it was when Timlin first came and they were both working better together. Gilbert has some good qualities but hoofing and moaning are not wanted: if he cuts those two traits out then he has a place for me at The Hall and is welcome to compete for a starting place.

I think I made Kalala my man of the match away at Accers ......... but that was probably the best game I saw him play.

I think it is clear to me that getting the central midfield pairing (or trio) right for next season (and then making sure they are not injured and suspended) is going to be an important factor.

Excellent to play in a 4-5-1 formation, wouldn't really want to see him in a 4-4-2 at home though but hes definately good backup and I wouldn't be annoyed if he was first choice alongside Timlin, although we do need another CM

personally i would try and sign Jean-Francois Christophe if you want a strong centre mid who can make a tackle and find the back of the net hes the man :Worthy:[h=1][/h]

Back