• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kalala injury boost for Blues

Agree with the comments about Phillips , he's had a great season , but also think a lot of what Kalala does is very underrated.
He sits and protects the back four really well and is a key element in stopping the opposition.
Grant and Ferdinand are different types and don't fill that role as well.

Agree with the comments about Phillips , he's had a great season , but also think a lot of what Kalala does is very underrated.
He sits and protects the back four really well and is a key element in stopping the opposition.

I tend to agree with that too. Much of Kalala's breakdown play goes unnoticed because it can be quite untidy but he does it well

I tend to agree with that too. Much of Kalala's breakdown play goes unnoticed because it can be quite untidy but he does it well

Much of what Ferdinand does and what Grant did (admittedly he hasn't played that role for a while) is very underrated.

I think Kalala gets recognised for this because this is all he can do, whereas Ferdinand and Grant actually offer something on the ball and are therefore perceived as attacking midfielders.

Much of what Ferdinand does and what Grant did (admittedly he hasn't played that role for a while) is very underrated.

I think Kalala gets recognised for this because this is all he can do, whereas Ferdinand and Grant actually offer something on the ball and are therefore perceived as attacking midfielders.

Exactly. I'd say Kalala is noticed more because of his style, where as (as you said) Ferdninand and Grant aren't.

Personally I think it will be a boost if Kalala isn't fit. The weak link in the current line up and I think he only gets praise for what he does because he is a so called 'holding midfielder' and is incapable of doing anything else. Therefore because he cant pass the ball properly or shoot it is assumed that he breaks up play, stops the opposition etc. The reality is he doesn't do this any better than Ferdinand or Grant but they dont get the same praise because they have other attributes. The holding player is the most overrated position in football anyway, what did we ever do before Makalele came along anyway. Its time for Kane to come back in anyway, we have a potential championship/premier player in our midst, for goodness sake lets use him while he is still with us.

An injury to Phillips would be a loss but nothing too major. Whilst he has been a solid performer and his goals a lovely bonus, I dont think he is a particularly great defender and the partnership with Barker is hardly watertight so even though I prefer Mohsni up front, I have no qualms with him slotting in at the back. We have more options up front and out wide now anyway and its a waste having a player of Bil's calibre on the bench so get him in now.

Agree with Southend Neil and Yorkshire Blue on this, both make solid points. Would rather Grant or Kane, because they give us a bit more in the middle.

Agree with Southend Neil and Yorkshire Blue on this, both make solid points. Would rather Grant or Kane, because they give us a bit more in the middle.

Trouble is, as good as Kane and Grant are, if they are given the holding/break up play position, they are likely to swerve those duties and move upfied because of how they play. With Kalala, if that really is all he can do, then you are on a win/win

Saying that, I'd still rather have Phillips fit than Kalala.

Personally I think it will be a boost if Kalala isn't fit. The weak link in the current line up and I think he only gets praise for what he does because he is a so called 'holding midfielder' and is incapable of doing anything else. Therefore because he cant pass the ball properly or shoot it is assumed that he breaks up play, stops the opposition etc. The reality is he doesn't do this any better than Ferdinand or Grant but they dont get the same praise because they have other attributes. The holding player is the most overrated position in football anyway, what did we ever do before Makalele came along anyway. Its time for Kane to come back in anyway, we have a potential championship/premier player in our midst, for goodness sake lets use him while he is still with us.

An injury to Phillips would be a loss but nothing too major. Whilst he has been a solid performer and his goals a lovely bonus, I dont think he is a particularly great defender and the partnership with Barker is hardly watertight so even though I prefer Mohsni up front, I have no qualms with him slotting in at the back. We have more options up front and out wide now anyway and its a waste having a player of Bil's calibre on the bench so get him in now.

Sorry, respect your opinion but I can't agree with that. A good holding midfielder makes a huge difference to many teams, in terms of us we look far more shaky defensively when Kalala doesn't play. And quite frankly we need both he AND Mark Phillips fit for Swindon or we could well be in trouble. If Phillips isn't fit then it is critical that Kalala is IMHO.

Must disagree with those who think Kane and Grant do a better job. Yes they can play a bit and get forward but thats exactly what we dont need when we have Timlin, Hall and Martin in the other midfield positions. Having another player getting forward would be suicidal. JPK wins the ball and stops the opposition which is good enough for me. Grant for one is not disciplined enough to play the role.

Kalala is an important part of our set up, but much more away from home than at Roots Hall. When teams come to us and look for a point and to catch us on the break, Kalala's lack of forward ability shows, however for away games when we are playing more on the break, its a more vital position.

I do think though that Swindon wont come looking for a point, so Kalala being fit is a plus.

I can't believe the comments that the 'holding' midfield player is not important - WHAT ???
It's not pretty and is quite often the role filled by one of the least skillful players , but without someone there in that position , it just leaves an almighty gap for the opposition to run into.
Kalala is not as skillful as Grant or Ferdinand , but neither of those two can do the job he does.
If we are forced to play at home against Swindon without him or without someone being disciplined enough to actually hold their position ( yes there is a huge clue in the title of holding midfielder ) , then Swindon will come at us at will.
I have no doubts about our attacking ability , but we have to be realistic as well

For the second half of last season Ferdinand did the exact job Kalala's doing, only IMO he did it better AND he offers more when we're on the ball.

It's a complete no-brainer for me. Why don't we make use of Ferdinand before we lose him to a Championship club?

For the second half of last season Ferdinand did the exact job Kalala's doing, only IMO he did it better AND he offers more when we're on the ball.

It's a complete no-brainer for me. Why don't we make use of Ferdinand before we lose him to a Championship club?

Because he lost his place in the side due to a loss of form. He should have to earn his place back in the team through showing he's back on form in training. He shouldn't be an automatic pick just because a few higher division scouts rate him.

Because he lost his place in the side due to a loss of form. He should have to earn his place back in the team through showing he's back on form in training. He shouldn't be an automatic pick just because a few higher division scouts rate him.

Kalala's form when he replaced him was even worse though!

Agree that JP is a key player and that it would be great if he was back for the Swindon game as we don’t have someone of his type to put their foot in and break up play.

I am going to be very interested to see the formation and tactics that Sturrock employees for this game. Myself (taking into account the limitations of our team and the opposition) I would go for 4-5-1 even at home and include Kane and JP. We all know that Swindon like to play football and we got murdered at their place, although we had Timlin out as well as other key players out.

I would like to see us crowd / boss the midfield area’s, defend aggressively very high up the pitch, and try to break up attacks before they start and stop them playing pass and move football. The question is do we have players to do this? The teams energy levels generally have dropped off in the last 1-2 months and we only seem to be able to play at a high tempo in short spells...league two is a much about fitness levels as it is about skill sometimes...do we have a fitness trainer at present?

The issue is that we have to keep it up for 90 minutes plus...we know Swindon will keep going till the end so the brief should be for the front man and central midfielders to be prepared to come off after 60 -70 minutes with exhaustion...we have a decent bench so use it. This approach should also get the crowd involved in egging the team on.

With Hall and Martin (I am still to see the best of what he can offer) out wide then we have the ammo for a couple of moments of “magic” and can always nick a goal from set piece or catch them on the break.

If we drop deep as soon as they get the ball and then launch our attacks via hoofball then we could be in for a long night. Sturrock has been here many times before, let’s hope he has the plan as 3 points here will be massive at the end of the season.

Should be a great game of football and without much football being played on it in the last month I hope the pitch is in good nick (although that might favour Swindon).

I love bating Di Canio but let’s reserve that for pre match, half time and full time and get behind the boys...I quite like the idea of us playing the role of the “underdogs” in this one and I hope that Sturrock has the team well up for this.

Can’t wait to see the players body language when they walk out.

UTB

With Hall and Martin (I am still to see the best of what he can offer) out wide then we have the ammo for a couple of moments of “magic” and can always nick a goal from set piece or catch them on the break.

I take it you didn't go to Northampton then?

For me Martin was up there for Man Of The Match up until his substitution and I remember being slightly disappointed to see him replaced with Moshni. Then Bilel scored twice and all was forgotten!

Back