• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dusterman

Nello
Watching Jack Rodwell against Southampton on his debut for Man City got me thinking about how similar Rodwell and Kane seem to be in that they split opinions between the professionals who rate him and the fans who are far more skeptical.

I don't know if i'm the only one, but I really don't rate any performance i've seen from Kane that highly, even when he has scored. Like Rodwell, he scores some goals in and around the box, but what else does he add? They are both neither box to box midfielders, combative, great passers of the ball or ball winners.

In my opinion, I think both boys are obviously talented, but do not stand out in any position and therefore often look out of place and unworthy of great praise or a regular starting place. For me, Kane is ultimately frustrating to watch, but I really want him to succeed and show something more.

What do you guys think?

As a Southend youth player I too would like to see him become a permanent fixture in the side, but at the moment Id rather see Timlin and Spicer together so Im not sure that will happen.

Kane reminds me more of Jermaine Jenas than he does Rodwell.

The best performances I've ever seen from Ferdinand were when he was sitting in front of the back four, just winning the ball and playing it off. Paul Sturrock obviously sees him as a goalscoring midfielder and, to be fair, he does score his fair share.

Kane reminds me more of Jermaine Jenas than he does Rodwell.

The best performances I've ever seen from Ferdinand were when he was sitting in front of the back four, just winning the ball and playing it off. Paul Sturrock obviously sees him as a goalscoring midfielder and, to be fair, he does score his fair share.

He seems as though he may have the same energy levels as Jenas who is as frustrating to watch as Kane. If Kane could learn to carry the ball as well as Jenas that could become a very usual part of his game. His ability to score and to shield a back four makes him a very useful player, but like Rodwell I can only see him fitting in with a three man midfield with a combative player and a passer.

Will be a tough one for Sturrock to try and figure out how to get the best out of him.

he seems to have good anticipation and is good in the air, which is probably why he grew up as a CB. Personally I'd still see him as a CB in 5 years time, but for now I'd like to see him just play with some freedom, defending hard and popping up in the box when we're chasing a game. He's technically very good and only 19.

I find him quite frustrating at times, in that he seems to have a lot of talent, but goes missing for large chunks of the game, which you can't afford to do at this level.

At the weekend he held possession very well and kept things simple with short passes to more creative players.

He's reasonably good when the ball comes to him at height as his first instinct is to get the ball on the deck. Something that will become more valuable further up the football league.

He's athletic, if a bit lightweight and the only way for him to improve will be to play, make mistakes and learn from them.

He either needs to sit and have a couple of flair players in front of him to create chances or have a sitting midifelder behind him so he can get forward and join the attack.

I don;t think you become a comlpete CM until 23-25 years old and too often he is found floating in and out of games , technically gifted and the odd eye for goal but not as good as some believe IMO. Will hopefully grow into a better CM and serve us well.

Kane has suffered and arguably continues to suffer because of our lack of an enforcer in midfield. His strengths are obviously his reading of the game and technical ability, but whereas he may be an athletic footballer, he's hardly boisterous. It's an easy argument to make, particularly when he's plying his trade in a comparatively physical environment, but if you look at when he's played his best football for us, it's hardly coincidental.

I'd say his best spell came when he partnered JP Kalala in central midfield, with Grant deployed a bit further up the field. He could operate safe in the knowledge that Kalala would get on with the industrious physicality, and all he needed to do was provide an outlet. I think I wrote something about him at the time, but he became almost our fulcrum in midfield, we didn't start to play until he received the ball, and he spread it out wide very quickly towards our more dangerous players at the time. His probing runs were also key, and the game against Gillingham at Priestfield that was televised displayed this probably the best.

That isn't to say that we need a defensive-minded JP Kalala-esque player, who was very limited, in the side to bring out the best of him. Mark Bentley was a prime example of someone who could deal with the physical aspect of League Two whilst also being able to contribute in other areas. Aside from the obvious reason that we're a bit lightweight in central midfield (or at least were until Spicer's arrival), we could really use a Mark Bentley to provide the protection for Kane to operate.

I'd probably say Kane also suffers a bit at the hand of the formation. He's a perfect midfielder to use in the 4-5-1 system that we seem to use at times, as his ability to get the ball to the wingers quickly triggers our attacks quicker. When played in a 4-4-2, he looks awfully exposed at times and does have the tendency to shrink inside himself and hide from the ball if we're being pressed - something that tends to happen when we resort to just the two in the middle.

In that respect, he can come across as a bit of a luxury player - one to use for one formation, but not another - but that doesn't detract from the talents he has. This is a key season for Kane, particularly if he harbors hopes of playing in a level above where we are next year. It's time for him to refine and become a great player in one particular role, rather than a good player in two or three.

Needs to spend the next 6 months pumping iron + beefing himself up , then he could become a frighteningly good centre back. He is incredibly quick , superb anticipation + good in the air too.

I feel he has lost his way since a year ago + doesnt know his position now. When he first got in our side as a defensive shield he was awesome . I can understand while the gaffer then put him in a more attacking role as our team lacked this at the time + i guess he saw something in his finishing on the training ground , but for me we have more than enough attacking players . Kane needs to concentrate on snuffing out the oppositions attacks + holding his position as we look leakier than a colinder full of water right now.

If he doesnt do this properly tonight Sturrock will sign someone who can + Kane will probably spend the season warming the bench.

Needs to spend the next 6 months pumping iron + beefing himself up , then he could become a frighteningly good centre back. He is incredibly quick , superb anticipation + good in the air too.

I feel he has lost his way since a year ago + doesnt know his position now. When he first got in our side as a defensive shield he was awesome . I can understand while the gaffer then put him in a more attacking role as our team lacked this at the time + i guess he saw something in his finishing on the training ground , but for me we have more than enough attacking players . Kane needs to concentrate on snuffing out the oppositions attacks + holding his position as we look leakier than a colinder full of water right now.

If he doesnt do this properly tonight Sturrock will sign someone who can + Kane will probably spend the season warming the bench.

You know that they're contradictory. He's fast and athletic because he's slight. If he puts a load of muscle on his frame he'll just slow down.

Kane's development is going backwards.

When he first came into the side he was putting in some very impressive performances, playing with a much older head on those shoulders.

But since the start of last season he's got lazier and lazier.

Lazy ? Really?

Yes, really. Never have I seen someone at the age of just 19 stroll around the pitch as much as Kane does.

He's contracted billy big bollocks-itus due to the name on the back of the shirt.

Back