• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommy tucker

Manager
I know they say you should not change a winning team .But i feel maybe it should be the perfect game to bed in Smith .Sooner or later we will lose Belford again ' so why not see what smith will bring to the team in a cup game with no points on offer to lose surely it makes good sence other wise why sign him in the first place .

My brother said the same thing before the game today, it's a good opportunity to get him some match practice as we're not in a reserve league and I don't think the reserve matches start for a while anyway. But Sturrock said after the game he won't be making many changes and to be fair Belford looked solid and confident today so I wouldn't expect Smith to play.

Tuesday should maybe give a couple of players a run out

Give this team a try could work????

GK - Smith
DEF - Leonard Phillips Cresswell Prosser
MID - Tomlin Spicer Njie Martin or Hurst
FOR - Assombolonga Benyon or Harris

I know they say you should not change a winning team .But i feel maybe it should be the perfect game to bed in Smith .Sooner or later we will lose Belford again ' so why not see what smith will bring to the team in a cup game with no points on offer to lose surely it makes good sence other wise why sign him in the first place .

Agree with this - definitely a perfect opportunity to give Smith a game. Having said that, I should also say that I thought Belford had a good game for us today and I do like him. Would like to keep both (greedy!)

I wonder whether part of Belford's loan agreement is that he plays, admittedly this one might be different as it's cup and they may not want him cup-tied. If possible I agree it would be good to see Smith start.

Belford should play until he screws up (if he does - he has been very solid so far) or goes back to Bury (hope he signs for us and then there will be some very decent competition for a place)

i thought belford looked good yesterday, confident and his handling was first class as well, best ive seen him play for a while, i would still give smith a game tuesday as it only the mickey mouse cup anyway.

Smith should definitely play.

Not sure why we should play 433 when we have been playing 442 at home and the style has improved.

Belford was really solid yesterday but I think PS will see the JPT tie as a perfect chance to give Smith his debut

Ideal game to give Smith 90 mins, if not he must be either injured or part of Belford's loan deal is he plays every game. I would also give Harris & Benyon a game aswell.

i thought belford looked good yesterday, confident and his handling was first class as well, best ive seen him play for a while, i would still give smith a game tuesday as it only the mickey mouse cup anyway.

It might be "commonly accepted" that the JPT is to be dismissed lightly but I think that a little more thought and examination might give a different view point.

If we do well in the Johnstones Paint Trophy then the confidence from winning and the opportunities to give other players time on the pitch is worth a great deal to the club. It allows players to keep match fit and give the manager selection issues as well as allowing different formations and/or partnerships in various areas of the pitch. Even more important if there are little or no reserve games available. When you then factor in the income that the club can earn from a long cup run I would consider that this cup is arguably more important than either the league cup or FA Cup.

True it is not so prestigous but I still have memories of sitting "in the gods" at Cardiff and watching my club play in the final - fabtastic. And I am sure that none of us would want to miss a trip to Wembley to see Barker, Eastwood, Creswell etcetera grace the pitch ..........................:thumbsup:

I really enjoyed the semis (especially col U) and both finals in Cardiff; Wemmmbbeeeeleee would be better x100. And we get to see some fringe/youth type players such as Woodyard, get some match time in for others like Smith, and Bomber. Costs for the game are small; and the bar is easy to get served at. A win, win, win and win situation. All that is needed is a win, some goals and then another home draw.

I wonder whether part of Belford's loan agreement is that he plays, admittedly this one might be different as it's cup and they may not want him cup-tied. If possible I agree it would be good to see Smith start.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think it's more to do with what PS said; that Smith is obviously ring rusty and not ready to play. However, IIRC he hinted at considering including him tomorrow.

Back