• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kenny Coker to Norwich

Tell me Steve, what sort of player were you? What level did you play at? Coaching experience at all? Any qualifications in teaching or coaching? Talent ID?

I think you could be very useful to the club if Ricky Duncan steps up to the first team.
I think your right I could definitely help the club and pick out better players then the sh..e!! We have signed lately!! Can u tell me one player from our academy in the last 10 years who's stepped up and done well elsewhere?? Hutchinson? Bridge? Kelmen? If Kenny coker was so good why wasnt he starting and playing most games? And dont say it's about age,age has nothing to do with it ! If your good enough then thats all what counts!

I think your right I could definitely help the club and pick out better players then the sh..e!! We have signed lately!! Can u tell me one player from our academy in the last 10 years who's stepped up and done well elsewhere?? Hutchinson? Bridge? Kelmen? If Kenny coker was so good why wasnt he starting and playing most games? And dont say it's about age,age has nothing to do with it ! If your good enough then thats all what counts!
Top trolling this

So you didn’t want to answer my question then?

This is ban worthy for its sheer stupidity.

So you didn’t want to answer my question then?
I was a decent player scored 19 goals in my last season! I've also played on the hallowed roots hall turf in a cup final! I watch all levels of football from Concorde to man utd! The point I was trying to make is how many of our youngsters actually go on and make it? Hutchinson was signed by derby then loaned to forest green and then permanently at forest green but hasnt impressed! Tell me how has kelmen done at QPR? From what I've seen of kenny coker I'm not sure he will make the grade at norwich but that's my opinion.

Fantastic opportunity for Kenny, really hope he cracks it up there. My lad went to school with him, he came running in tonight to ask me if i'd heard about Kenny.
Says a LOT about our yoofs and why kids will want to sign for SUFC.

I assume we’re ignoring the £2m in transfer fees that Dan Bentley and Jack Payne brought in are we Steve? How about the £400k+ received from Brentford for Dru Yearwood? And what about Nathan Bishop sitting on the bench for Manchester United in the Europa League? Isaac Hayden was plucked from our Academy and now plies his trade in the Premier League with Newcastle. That’s aside from other youngsters who left for Premier League club Academies for undisclosed fees, including the one below which broke a transfer record for a 13-year-old:

Seriously mate if you’re not on a fishing trip then you’re a bigger clown than Ronald McDonald....

Last edited:
I was a decent player scored 19 goals in my last season! I've also played on the hallowed roots hall turf in a cup final! I watch all levels of football from Concorde to man utd! The point I was trying to make is how many of our youngsters actually go on and make it? Hutchinson was signed by derby then loaned to forest green and then permanently at forest green but hasnt impressed! Tell me how has kelmen done at QPR? From what I've seen of kenny coker I'm not sure he will make the grade at norwich but that's my opinion.

That would be then, like the rest of us.. not a great deal. The lad has barely played first team football and as far as I’m aware, this past year or so even reserve and youth team games have been behind closed doors so please tell me how you’ve seen anything of him apart from the few minutes he got here and there in the first team?

Oh, and for every Hutchinson you name i can throw at you Bentley, Hayden, Mavididi.. shall I go on?

That would be then, like the rest of us.. not a great deal. The lad has barely played first team football and as far as I’m aware, this past year or so even reserve and youth team games have been behind closed doors so please tell me how you’ve seen anything of him apart from the few minutes he got here and there in the first team?

Oh, and for every Hutchinson you name i can throw at you Bentley, Hayden, Mavididi.. shall I go on?
Well I'll definitely agree on Bentley

Not every player will make it big, for every one that does many fall by the wayside. Who are we to stop them when a bigger club comes knocking at the door.
If we were in the Championship many of the players who have moved on recently would probably still be with us.
I think my point here is give people the opportunity and its then down to them to make it happen. We as a club have then done our bit.

Oh and I have played in a Cup Final at Craven Cottage ?.

Shimpet steve is mrs blue is diguise and I claim my £5.

I was a decent player scored 19 goals in my last season!

???? funniest thing you’ve ever said. FIFA career mode? Without context that’s just funny.

Age? How long ago? Level? I assume you have no experience whatsoever of coaching, teaching, talent ID, mentoring? No knowledge of youth development? Understanding of player development, player pathways? No knowledge of academy systems or levels?

I’m ok with anyone having an opinion on what they see but yours all seem to be about judgements on how players will turn out and are always scathing of the potential of a player probably your age!

I watch all levels of football from Concorde to man utd!

And there’s your problem (well one of them). You see every player ability as binary. A result driven end product of his level right now based simply on watching a game where the scoreline determines your opinion. Worse than that often is based on what you’ve read or what you remember because you haven’t even seen the player in question!

Hutchinson was signed by derby then loaned to forest green and then permanently at forest green but hasnt impressed!

Firstly Hutchinson isn’t permanently at FG. They did ask for an option to buy but Derby refused it so he’ll return to derby immediately after the play offs for the next year of his contract.

You have to stop thinking that clubs only send players out on loan to get rid of them and start to appreciate they do it to bridge a gap in levels and to aid the players development. The gap from their 23s to Championship is huge and it’s likely a loan to the EFL was seen as a good way to bridge it.

I don’t think things have gone particularly well for him at FG but there could be a multitude of reasons for that that we will never be aware of. What I am sure of is that clubs will expect the player to benefit from a whole host of things on loan and they aren’t all based on how many games they play. He will have had experience very different to what he got at Southend.

FG have some very good, very experienced pros, very different to most of the ‘experienced pros’ he had influence his career at Southend. He’s found it tough to break into a winning team rather than quite easy to be picked ahead of schedule, at a poor Southend one. He will have benefitted from that and benefitted from the training levels and the experience of winning games and being at the top end of the table, not to mention experiencing the play offs which isn’t something all players get to do.

He’s still a young player, who has moved house 6 times in a year during a global pandemic, unsettling at the best of times!

Some loans work and some don’t, but the key is to take something from it no matter what. Harry Kane had three different loans as a young player none of which on the face of it were successful on the pitch. They all helped shape him to what he is today.

The journey is a tough one, but I wouldn’t go writing Hutchinson off as a failure and someone who didn’t go on to improve after Southend just yet. He’s just turned 21, he has 50 senior appearances under his belt, he’s played for 8 different managers in 3 seasons as a pro (2 of whom were ex England internationals), he’s experienced a relegation battle, a relegation, the league 2 play offs, a loan to another club, he’s captained a team in the FA Cup 3rd round on live TV, he has the pedigree of playing in two of the countries most highly rated academies and he has another years contract at a Championship football club.

Of course he may or may not still make a career. But he’s the same age as Erin Kinali and Emile Acquah, a year young than Lewis Gard and Tom Clifford and nearly 3 years younger than Harry Phillips and had he stayed at Southend he’d now have back to back relegations on his CV and be waiting on Ron to activate an option that would make him a non league player with another 25% pay cut!!

Tell me how has kelmen done at QPR?

Kelman is still a teenager!! He also has substantial EFL experience under his belt already. He also has some championship experience already. He is also finding life tough and experiencing that away from Southend where things were so rubbish he got games without having to work that hard, that life as a pro among other good hard working pros is a little tougher. However, like Hutchinson, it is exactly what will make him be a better player if he can stick at it and learn all the valuable lessons young players have to learn about hard work, dedication and resilience to move on and resist failing or finding life hard!

From what I've seen of kenny coker I'm not sure he will make the grade at norwich but that's my opinion.

You’ve barely seen Kenny Coker. As was stated above no one has. Personally I thought he was way out of his depth and in the first team way too soon. However I don’t believe that makes him not good enough I simply believe that like Hutchinson and Kelman (and a host of others) he was thrown in too soon into one of the worst environments I’ve ever known in a pro football club. However someone smelled the money and realised that a player of his age who they’d got for nothing from a local club at nearly 16 was t worth much under the EPPP agreement unless he had a little first team experience and his ‘potential’ could be demonstrated to bump up his worth.

He will go to a Cat 1 academy and it’ll be the most alien thing in the world to him. There will be times he regrets the decision and wishes he was back at Southend. He will probably barely be seen or heard of by us unless checking the Norwich website specifically. But he will improve in that environment playing for their 18s and 23s a million times more than he would’ve at Southend playing Torquay and Exeter’s 23s and sitting on the bench in a Conference side. Norwich will have some serious polishing to do on his tactical and technical abilities but when the time is right he will get his game time either there or on loan and his journey will continue. He may or may not break through at Norwich but he will definitely become a better player.

I agree with you Steve that if you’re good enough you’re old enough, but you have to stop thinking that if you’re not good enough at 17/18/19 even 20/21 that that means you never will be. It’s simply not true and it’s been proven time and time again....unless of course you want to judge everyone by the freak examples of the tiny tiny % that do become world stars at 17........I can barely name 5.....that should tell you everything.

PS

I know this will be wasted on him and I know he is probably fishing....but hey, it’s a slow day!

I assume we’re ignoring the £2m in transfer fees that Dan Bentley and Jack Payne brought in are we Steve? And what about Nathan Bishop sitting on the bench for Manchester United in the Europa League? Isaac Hayden was plucked from our Academy and now plies his trade in the Premier League with Newcastle. That’s aside from other youngsters who left for Premier League club Academies for undisclosed fees, including the one below which broke a transfer record for a 13-year-old:

Seriously mate if you’re not on a fishing trip then you’re a bigger clown than Ronald McDonald....
Yet, the other two I mentioned have gone on to probably have even better careers at a higher level..

Oh, and you still haven’t answered my question as to how much you’ve actually seen of young Kenny.
I see him play at least twice! Didnt do anything special to make me think hes good enough for norwich! But the first time I saw egbri play he stood out straight away as he got the ball beat 3 players then cracked the wood work from 20 yards out! Theres certain things players do that leave impressions.Kenny is young he may prove me wrong but I doubt he will ever play for norwich first team.just like bishop wont ever play for man utds first team.

???? funniest thing you’ve ever said. FIFA career mode? Without context that’s just funny.

Age? How long ago? Level? I assume you have no experience whatsoever of coaching, teaching, talent ID, mentoring? No knowledge of youth development? Understanding of player development, player pathways? No knowledge of academy systems or levels?

I’m ok with anyone having an opinion on what they see but yours all seem to be about judgements on how players will turn out and are always scathing of the potential of a player probably your age!

And there’s your problem (well one of them). You see every player ability as binary. A result driven end product of his level right now based simply on watching a game where the scoreline determines your opinion. Worse than that often is based on what you’ve read or what you remember because you haven’t even seen the player in question!

Firstly Hutchinson isn’t permanently at FG. They did ask for an option to buy but Derby refused it so he’ll return to derby immediately after the play offs for the next year of his contract.

You have to stop thinking that clubs only send players out on loan to get rid of them and start to appreciate they do it to bridge a gap in levels and to aid the players development. The gap from their 23s to Championship is huge and it’s likely a loan to the EFL was seen as a good way to bridge it.

I don’t think things have gone particularly well for him at FG but there could be a multitude of reasons for that that we will never be aware of. What I am sure of is that clubs will expect the player to benefit from a whole host of things on loan and they aren’t all based on how many games they play. He will have had experience very different to what he got at Southend.

FG have some very good, very experienced pros, very different to most of the ‘experienced pros’ he had influence his career at Southend. He’s found it tough to break into a winning team rather than quite easy to be picked ahead of schedule, at a poor Southend one. He will have benefitted from that and benefitted from the training levels and the experience of winning games and being at the top end of the table, not to mention experiencing the play offs which isn’t something all players get to do.

He’s still a young player, who has moved house 6 times in a year during a global pandemic, unsettling at the best of times!

Some loans work and some don’t, but the key is to take something from it no matter what. Harry Kane had three different loans as a young player none of which on the face of it were successful on the pitch. They all helped shape him to what he is today.

The journey is a tough one, but I wouldn’t go writing Hutchinson off as a failure and someone who didn’t go on to improve after Southend just yet. He’s just turned 21, he has 50 senior appearances under his belt, he’s played for 8 different managers in 3 seasons as a pro (2 of whom were ex England internationals), he’s experienced a relegation battle, a relegation, the league 2 play offs, a loan to another club, he’s captained a team in the FA Cup 3rd round on live TV, he has the pedigree of playing in two of the countries most highly rated academies and he has another years contract at a Championship football club.

Of course he may or may not still make a career. But he’s the same age as Erin Kinali and Emile Acquah, a year young than Lewis Gard and Tom Clifford and nearly 3 years younger than Harry Phillips and had he stayed at Southend he’d now have back to back relegations on his CV and be waiting on Ron to activate an option that would make him a non league player with another 25% pay cut!!

Kelman is still a teenager!! He also has substantial EFL experience under his belt already. He also has some championship experience already. He is also finding life tough and experiencing that away from Southend where things were so rubbish he got games without having to work that hard, that life as a pro among other good hard working pros is a little tougher. However, like Hutchinson, it is exactly what will make him be a better player if he can stick at it and learn all the valuable lessons young players have to learn about hard work, dedication and resilience to move on and resist failing or finding life hard!

You’ve barely seen Kenny Coker. As was stated above no one has. Personally I thought he was way out of his depth and in the first team way too soon. However I don’t believe that makes him not good enough I simply believe that like Hutchinson and Kelman (and a host of others) he was thrown in too soon into one of the worst environments I’ve ever known in a pro football club. However someone smelled the money and realised that a player of his age who they’d got for nothing from a local club at nearly 16 was t worth much under the EPPP agreement unless he had a little first team experience and his ‘potential’ could be demonstrated to bump up his worth.

He will go to a Cat 1 academy and it’ll be the most alien thing in the world to him. There will be times he regrets the decision and wishes he was back at Southend. He will probably barely be seen or heard of by us unless checking the Norwich website specifically. But he will improve in that environment playing for their 18s and 23s a million times more than he would’ve at Southend playing Torquay and Exeter’s 23s and sitting on the bench in a Conference side. Norwich will have some serious polishing to do on his tactical and technical abilities but when the time is right he will get his game time either there or on loan and his journey will continue. He may or may not break through at Norwich but he will definitely become a better player.

I agree with you Steve that if you’re good enough you’re old enough, but you have to stop thinking that if you’re not good enough at 17/18/19 even 20/21 that that means you never will be. It’s simply not true and it’s been proven time and time again....unless of course you want to judge everyone by the freak examples of the tiny tiny % that do become world stars at 17........I can barely name 5.....that should tell you everything.

PS

I know this will be wasted on him and I know he is probably fishing....but hey, it’s a slow day!
No not wasted ! Makes alot of sense

I see him play at least twice! Didnt do anything special to make me think hes good enough for norwich! But the first time I saw egbri play he stood out straight away as he got the ball beat 3 players then cracked the wood work from 20 yards out! Theres certain things players do that leave impressions.Kenny is young he may prove me wrong but I doubt he will ever play for norwich first team.just like bishop wont ever play for man utds first team.
You have a high bar Steve. Has PB or Stan rung you yet for a chat about who we should let go and who we should sign?

Terrell Egbri was roughly 18 months older than Kenny Coker was when they made their respective debuts. By the time he had started appearing regularly for the first team, he had completed a two-year scholarship with the club and had played over 20 games on loan in senior football for Harlow Town.

By comparison, Kenny Coker was still at school (we needed permission from his headmaster to even play for the first team) and had only started four matches for the U18s. They were at completely different stages of their development.

Last edited:
Back