• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow's man in charge is the loose cannon that is Trevor Kettle. Or, rather, Wing Commander Trevor Kettle based at RAF High Wycombe.

This is his 9th season as a League referee and his matches have been littered with controversy and condemnation throughout. I am sure there is not the slightest truth in the rumour that he only obtained and retained his position by virtue of his marriage to the daughter of the man who used to be in charge of Football League referees (Mr Ashworth). A referee noted for extreme over reactions and maverick decisions (a bit worrying you might think, given his day job!).

This is his 14th Southend match and we have a fantastic record with him in charge (won 9, drawn 4, lost 0); in fact there is no referee we have had a better run of results with. Our ideal combination is therefore a match against Hereford refereed by Kettle. However his matches have not been uneventful.

11/12 AFC Wimbledon A - sent off one of theirs
10/11 Barnet A - not great - booked Hall & Easton
09/10 Brentford H - not great - booked Macca
09/10 Orient H decent game - booked Macca
08/09 Stockport H - sent off Harding
07/08 Oxford H - 8 yellows
Oldham A - sent off Richards (successfully appealed)
06/07 WBA H - 7 yellows
05/06 Bradford A - sent off one of theirs
Bournemouth H - sent off one of theirs
03/04 Canvey H - 5 yellows
Canvey A - 8 yellows and sent off Warren
Carlisle H - just 2 yellows but it was one of his first matches

His 287 games at this level have produced 1,035 yellow cards and 70 reds - way above average.

He has actually had a couple of reasonable matches, especially a couple of seasons ago, when I have seen him, but needless to say these have been few and far between.

His start to the season was delayed by an overseas posting but he is being given lots of games and is clearly making up for lost time with 75 yellows and 4 reds from just 17 games !

Assistants are the experienced (i.e. old) Stephen Rubery from Ilford and Paul Kelly from Gillingham with David Rock from Hertfordshire, a qualified coach in many different sports, carrying out the 4th official duties.

Excellent , informative report of the man potentially 'in charge of our destiny' !
Just hope Mr Kettle keeps a 'lid' on things and doesn't let the game 'boil over'............... apologies......

Excellent , informative report of the man potentially 'in charge of our destiny' !
Just hope Mr Kettle keeps a 'lid' on things and doesn't let the game 'boil over'............... apologies......

You must be new .... we've done all them !

You must be new .... we've done all them !

When he was stationed with the RAF in Africa, he by chance met Pol Pot, the Cambodian revolutionary, who asked him if he had any African ancestors.

I think you can see where this is going.....

Answers on a postcard.

When he was stationed with the RAF in Africa, he by chance met Pol Pot, the Cambodian revolutionary, who asked him if he had any African ancestors.

I think you can see where this is going.....

Answers on a postcard.

I thought he won Britain's Got Talent a year or two back. :unsure:

Very interesting stats there, Well done!!!

Yeah I cannot believe we havn't lost with him in charge especially consdering some of his performances that I have seen but lets hope that stat continues!!

So long as the team play well, even Polly cannot ruin our night. Or can he??

Remember there is a first time for everything!!

Averages a red card every four games. This will be the 5th game since his last red....

Well not sure we can moan about him tonight and he again sent off an opposition player.
Thought we may have thought decision a bit harsh if it went against us with the sending off.
After AFC Wimbledon away he is on a hattrick so at the moment I would not dread seeing ref us again.

The sending off looked very harsh from where i was in the west, thought it would be a yellow. Wouldn't mind seeing it again to find out why it was a straight red

It was the intent with studs that saw him walk but i thought it would be yellow not red.

The red card seemed harsh and surprising to me at the time. It was the kind of tackle that the sport's trying to stamp out but I think it was mistimed rather than malicious. Especially so early in the game and it was his first foul. Killed the game as a contest ultimately. I'd like to see it again. Kettle certainly helped us again last night, I can see why we've never lost with him! Thought he was quite fussy with little fouls but generally did alright.

The sending off looked very harsh from where i was in the west, thought it would be a yellow. Wouldn't mind seeing it again to find out why it was a straight red

Seen it on SSN and definitely looks a red......not so obvious at the time - great call by Mr Kettle.

Back