• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another poor performance. If we don't sell him atleast drop him to the bench. Give another player a chance to perform

Another poor performance. If we don't sell him atleast drop him to the bench. Give another player a chance to perform

I don't know how long you have been following Southend, but what did you think of Hurst last season when he was really doing the business? I ask because players do have spells when they lose form, but it doesn't make them bad and needing selling straight away. I think a spell on the bench may help, but selling, no way.

Not crazy make perfect sense, cash in on him now while people still respect him and think he has potential to improve then when he flops this season we are in the money. We have enough players to let him go elsewhere for some cash

Yeah lets sell the player who topped the assists charts and scored double figures the last two seasons because he hasnt shone in the first few games.

We can then get what cash we get and throw it into the black hole of our debt.

That's the way to get promoted.

Hursty did ok last night , battled well + tried to find the strikers with a few teasing crosses. He tackled back well + stopped several crosses from the oppo winger .

This more attacking system suits some players more than others. Last year Hurst was given more freedom as one of a front 3 . This season we are almost kamikaze in our attacking so more experienced pros like Hurst / Coker / White / Lenny realise that they need to hold back and cover the gaps defensively.

I agree Worrell is pushing Hurst hard for a start .... In my opinion Hurst was better than Weston last night & fans looking for a boo boy should leave all our players alone + if they want/need to shout abuse - shout at the oppostion players instead

Hurst is average at best. He is a fan favourite as he is a happy clappy player that cheers the blues voice. Who where an embarrassment yesterday again. Yes I was too far by saying sell him but you cant argue that he should be dropped to the bench next game

Hurst is average at best. He is a fan favourite as he is a happy clappy player that cheers the blues voice. Who where an embarrassment yesterday again. Yes I was too far by saying sell him but you cant argue that he should be dropped to the bench next game

While I agree a spell on the bench might improve Hurst's form, calling the Blue Voice an embarrassment ?? How ??

Have you been on the wobbly wobbly water already this morning? If anyone is being an embarrassment look in the mirror.

PLease look at the assists and goals scored stats over the last two years and then explain how being top of them makes him average at best.

Hursty did ok last night , battled well + tried to find the strikers with a few teasing crosses. He tackled back well + stopped several crosses from the oppo winger .

This more attacking system suits some players more than others. Last year Hurst was given more freedom as one of a front 3 . This season we are almost kamikaze in our attacking so more experienced pros like Hurst / Coker / White / Lenny realise that they need to hold back and cover the gaps defensively.

I agree Worrell is pushing Hurst hard for a start .... In my opinion Hurst was better than Weston last night & fans looking for a boo boy should leave all our players alone + if they want/need to shout abuse - shout at the oppostion players instead

sounds like we're playing the England system of 4-2-4 with Coker bombing on. We're kinda 442 and kinda 433 with Shaq kinda a striker/winger and Hurst kinda a winger/centre mid. sounds like it will take some getting used to and maybe he's a bit betwixt and between

IMO Hurst should be dropped for the next game, he hasnt been playing well so far, we have competition for this exact reason. im not sure why he isnt playing well, perhaps he isnt 100% fit or has something on his mind, but he just doesnt look as assured as he has in previous seasons :sad:

IMO Hurst should be dropped for the next game, he hasnt been playing well so far, we have competition for this exact reason. im not sure why he isnt playing well, perhaps he isnt 100% fit or has something on his mind, but he just doesnt look as assured as he has in previous seasons :sad:

This year we have more attacking options in the side with the likes of Weston & Coulthirst and as a result I don't think Hurst is now the only threat going forward as he was last season. He isn't getting on the ball as much in my opinion as a result and, while I agree he hasn't got going yet, I've every confidence he will sooner rather than later. Stays in the team for me - his assist record alone is reason enough.

This year we have more attacking options in the side with the likes of Weston & Coulthirst and as a result I don't think Hurst is now the only threat going forward as he was last season. He isn't getting on the ball as much in my opinion as a result and, while I agree he hasn't got going yet, I've every confidence he will sooner rather than later. Stays in the team for me - his assist record alone is reason enough.
So how does that explain his poor form since xmas last season?

So how does that explain his poor form since xmas last season?

Even when his form dipped last season he was still key to the side. What did he get last year? 14 goals and as many assists? Not bad for someone who only played for half a season!
He was always the outlet last season (and season before) and he therefore saw more of the ball with the expectancy placed firmly on his shoulders. I just don't think you can dismiss his goals and assists so quickly after only three league games.

There is no argument that Hurst has been playing poorly since the second part of last season, and when you look at his past clubs its clear that this isn't the first time this has happened. Looked money well spent for Scunthorpe, where he signed permanently for 200k after impressing on loan, but after that his form dipped alarmingly and they then saw fit to sell him to Carlisle for only half what they had originally paid Sheff Utd. After only 1 season this time at Carlisle, he was then farmed out to Morecambe for the remainder of his contract and released at the end of his contract with the Cumbrians. Walsall this time took him on a free transfer, where again he lost form after a bright start, lost his place in the side and was deemed surplus to requirements after only one season. There is a definite pattern here, and maybe suggests why a talented player is still playing league 2 football at 28. Maybe its not that foolish to suggest that we cash in on him. Personally I hope I'm wrong though and hope he gets back to form soon, because Worrall is ready and waiting to take his place, and this competition for his spot in the team is something Hurst hasn't had to face yet so far in his Southend career. If he does lose his place though, I hope he makes more of an effort to retain it than he seems to have done in the past

Even when his form dipped last season he was still key to the side. What did he get last year? 14 goals and as many assists? Not bad for someone who only played for half a season!
He was always the outlet last season (and season before) and he therefore saw more of the ball with the expectancy placed firmly on his shoulders. I just don't think you can dismiss his goals and assists so quickly after only three league games.

I have stated that I think his form has dipped since xmas last season, so that means I am taking 25 fixtures from after xmas last season, plus 3 this season that is 28 games that I am judging him by not three.

I think, given the chance, Worrall could prove that he can offer as much as if not more than Hurst. He definitely comes to the club with a better pedigree and reputation than Hurst ever had!

Back