• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
Just wondering what people are thinking regarding Hurst. Im a big fan, have been from day one he came to the club. His goal scoring record and assist record is excellent. However, like many i have been surprised so far this season with his performances. He certainly looks like he has bulked up a bit and at times appears more lethargic than normal, although never been blessed with out and out pace.

I looked at him closely on Saturday and i wonder if im right in thinking that he seems to be playing a bit deeper than in the past. With both Coulthirst and Weston playing in the front three i think he has been asked to play a slightly more defensive role which appears to be restricting his chances of pushing forward. DO people agree?

It's two league games. Give it time before people start worrying about him.

He now has competition which is exactly what his lack lustre performances have needed.

It's simple if he doesn't perform he will be out of the team. Worrall looks very useful.

Im not worried as such, but people have been quick to jump on his back and criticize his performances and in some cases rightly so. Im just wondering if a slight change in formation or the way we are playing is affecting him more than others. Re Worrall, i would play him tomorrow ahead of Hurst. i think he has done very well when called upon.

Hurst has been a great player for us over the past two years and will have a big part to play this season. All players go through a dip in form from time to time, he's only human. The arrival of Worrall just means this is less catastrophic than it would have been last year.

Hurst can easily be our midfield play maker we needed, when we attack it's look like 4-2-4, so Hurst can slot on the right side when needed, back to 4-3-3 when defending.

Firstly there is no doubt that Hurst on his day is a quality player and secondly we are well aware in previous seasons that he goes through lengthy periods where he is not on his day His day will come.

Just wondering what people are thinking regarding Hurst. Im a big fan, have been from day one he came to the club. His goal scoring record and assist record is excellent. However, like many i have been surprised so far this season with his performances. He certainly looks like he has bulked up a bit and at times appears more lethargic than normal, although never been blessed with out and out pace.

I looked at him closely on Saturday and i wonder if im right in thinking that he seems to be playing a bit deeper than in the past. With both Coulthirst and Weston playing in the front three i think he has been asked to play a slightly more defensive role which appears to be restricting his chances of pushing forward. DO people agree?

Agree with most of that. I thought he looked heavier but thought he did ok. Last year quite often he was marauding down the right , getting in on goals and supplying great crosses. Clearly in a different role now , with Shaq and Weston operating wide and switching. May take a while to get to grips with positioning, but a class act on his day, and will mostly likely collect MOM before too long. Can also slot back in to old position if we get hit by any injuries

It's looked to me like shaq on the left and hurst on the right, corr and Weston up front.

Last season hurst was generally the only attacking wide player, or playing alongside straker. In both cases he would get given the ball as a default attacking option. This season we have valid alternatives. I don't think its that he's not playing well, just seeing less of the ball than before.

On Saturday was the first game I'd been to this season and hurst was well below par as he drifted out of the game for a bit, but at the end of the day it's a team game and it makes a change for someone else to pop up with the goods, he played his part and his performances will improve alright:thumbsup:

Hurst has looked off the pace since last Christmas.

Genuine competition for his place this season though...

Sorry many of you are referring to this seasons form, but his poor performances started after xmas last season!
I think he has bulked up too, perhaps too much, perhaps the extra weight / muscle is what is causing his reactions to be slower?

I remember Lenny bulking up over a short period of time, look what happened to him!
So difficult to knock off the ball.

Three games in, two wins in the league and two clean sheets. Glad we've already found our scapegoat - good work guys!!

Three games in, two wins in the league and two clean sheets. Glad we've already found our scapegoat - good work guys!!

That's a bit harsh, don't think anyone trying to make him a scapegoat. Posters just saying he is going through a rough patch, but his time will come later in the season.

Hurst has that quality ball/cross in his locker that creates chances and goals out of nothing, he will never be a workhorse but what he does posses is creativity.

We have the grafters in and around him, I bet if you asked the forwards then they want Kevan Hurst in that side.

You are so wrong. No one is looking for a scapegoat at all and most on here have been constructive with their comments. I said in my post that I really liked him but he has defo changed his role this season and was trying to guage other peoples opinions that's all. I think he did ok Saturday but wasn't as prominent in the final third as normal. If that is finding a scapegoat you clearly misunderstand the term.

You are so wrong. No one is looking for a scapegoat at all and most on here have been constructive with their comments. I said in my post that I really liked him but he has defo changed his role this season and was trying to guage other peoples opinions that's all. I think he did ok Saturday but wasn't as prominent in the final third as normal. If that is finding a scapegoat you clearly misunderstand the term.

I haven't seen him play yet this season. I'm just going by what I've read.

This is Shrimperzone, everyone is looking for a scapegoat! No matter how well we're doing and how settled the side is, there's always a player that people are looking to change, or a player who's judged to be below par. It hasn't reached the levels of 'scapegoating' that Corr or Prosser have achieved, but it's mounting for Hurst (discussions about weight, fitness, motivation etc).

I'm sure the knives will come out if this sub-par run continues and we lose.

Back