• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Bond appointed - Confirmed

There’s only one Bond I am interested in and he has 007 after his name ? :ROFL:

In seriousness I shall be holding judgement until the end of the season and at the minimum we should give him the opportunity to prove himself before he gets hung, drawn and quartered.

I'm not blown away by this appointment but it does make a bit of sense until the end of the season, this team has the quality to stay up if coached correctly.
It also looks like he might have joined just as Humphrys has been back in training so the real prospect of playing 2 up with 2 quality strikers is there for his first game in charge.

I'm not blown away by this appointment but it does make a bit of sense until the end of the season, this team has the quality to stay up if coached correctly.
It also looks like he might have joined just as Humphrys has been back in training so the real prospect of playing 2 up with 2 quality strikers is there for his first game in charge.
He's taken over full time now so I would be amazed if Humphrys is available to him for Fleetwood.

Controversial but I’d rather have Steve Evans as much as I hate the bloke. At least he has recent experience in this league. Being a number two is completely different to being the main man making all the tough decisions. What ever way you look at it, this is a very underwhelming appointment.
I now cut and paste this: Steve Evans would be the worst appointment ever, and I include Dick Bate, Wignall and Bobby Moore in that.

Last edited:
I reckon this means that Redknapp is definitely coming in at the end of the season. Bond is obviously here to get a feel for things in the meantime.

There literally can be no other explanation. Bond alone makes no sense whatsoever and I personally think Ron is better than that.
I don't think you understand how much Redknapp loves money.
We've got none: he won't be coming.
Just as important, the journey from his home in Sandbanks to QPR (Harlington Training Ground) almost did for him - this one is a lot longer.

Kevin Bond was a winner as manager of Hong Kong Pegasus FC and led them to a double cup wins in 2016.

facebook_1549088258986-904x600.jpg

0516-00286-001b2.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

I hope he is smiling like that with all of us at the end of the season.

I know it's difficult for him to become Mr Wit-and-Repartee in an instant, and sorry to say, the questions were also in part somewhat lame.
But there's nothing in this to inspire me here.
I hope he coaches better than he talks, and no wonder he used to leave that part to 'Arry.
You nailed it in your opener. Low key interviewer in low key surroundings with non-taxing questions. In fairness to Kevin, he played with a straight bat and came across as genuine. I liked how he took care to respect Chris Powell, and already started setting out his vision for the players. For me, building trust, setting direction, and letting the team know their role in how the goals will be achieved (he mentioned preparation, hard work and commitment), are the basic tenets of leadership, and speak volumes about his leadership style. Based on what I’ve seen, I like him.

Get behind him and the team. That’s all you can do. Wouldn’t have been my first choice, but none of the available managers were inspiring.

If Keen will be his assistant, it might be what we need. Ron’s obviously been impressed by something.

Maybe Harry’s planning to have some impact? Who knows. At least we’ve got someone at the helm now. But all the “announce relegation” etc comments do us absolutely no favours ?

Let’s give him an opportunity first before we judge him.
Absolutely agree with this. ?

Let’s give the guy a chance. Sounded like what we want in his interview. Never give up. Be the hardest workers. And see where it takes us game by game.

Let’s have a go at fleetwood and make some noise for him and the team. 6 huge games to go and like our new leader rightly says of the boys, let’s guarantee that we won’t give up as well.

Up the blues

Others on a short term option were available - I spoke to Roy on Friday and he would have jumped at the chance.

Donut may not be everyone's cup of tea (ok, pint of beer) but he would have fired everyone up and that is just what we want.

He could have worked with Keen or maybe a better option King Kev Maher, and between them they have a combo of skills which could just work - we have to work with the players we've got, they can play but need either a rocket up their backside or, depending on the personality concered, an arm around the shoulder, to get them inspired for the run-in. Roy can do both, he would have rallied the fans too and more than ever the players need their backing. He also knows the basics - putting square plugs in square holes, nothing complicated, just sheer desire to do simple things right and with passion.

Such a shame it didn't happen.

Bond's first interview was, as I feared, totally uninspiring - more a wet 002.5 than an all-action motivator. However, he will get my backing in the run-in and that is what I think we all should give him, and on the plus side he lives in Dorset so he can give me a lift to matches. Come to think of it, that's brilliant.

awful and massively high risk based on his management history and what he knows of L1

30+ candidates and that's the best of a bad bunch, really, not sure what's worse, letting Theo go without a replacement or this

Shambolic, end of !!

A TERRIBLE SEASON

I think that you think I was referring to you when I wasn't. If I was I would have quoted you.

Your right I have no idea what you want...….Hope that's not to tiresome.
So stop writing “ you all wanted” or similar in posts. Different posters want different things so it’s ridiculous to keep says no it. if it’s all of us why don’t you write “we” and include yourself ?

Scouting for Pompey will have got him more insight into this division than many of the applicants.
Has form for salvaging points over the last few games of a Season.
Was willing to take the job on for the short period
Experienced.
Knows Keen
I can see why he appealed to Ron.

I am unsure about the appointment, but tbh I can see why the decision was taken.
Not sure if we will see much in the way of tactical changes, I think it’s more a mental and attitude turnaround which is required, so I hope that what he can do is enough to stop the rot

As completely underwhelmed as I am, it’s not Bond’s fault.

He’s just a man who is trying to do a job, and earn a wage.

Whether he’s up to the task (and in fairness, with our current situation, I don’t think many would be) is for time to tell.

So until then, he’ll get my support, as he should from everyone else.

My frustration and anger towards this season, is reserved purely for the bad luck we’ve had, and the actions of Ron Martin.

The new guy doesn’t deserve to bare the brunt of that misplaced ill-feeling.

That being said, he’s a professional who’s been around long enough to be aware that this job is effectively a poisoned chalice, and he won’t have long to deliver success.

Separate question; if you were asked 2 weeks ago, if you’d be happy to replace Powell with this guy, who honestly would have wanted it?

Predictable negative responses on here, and to be honest mine was the same when i heard the news earlier this morning about 9 am!

However on reflection, based on last weeks performance did we look like winning any of our remaining games??

Beggars can't be choosers and whilst there may have been quite a number expressing interest, how many would have come just to the end of the season? Knowing Keen must also have been a bonus.

We have 6 games. We have got to win 2/3 of them. He comes in with fresh ideas, more players are coming back (Lennon and Hendrie played today) so who knows...? I'm sure Ron has incentivised him should he succeed.

Strange things do happen........!

Back