• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Bond appointed - Confirmed

Can't understand all this nonsense about coaches being ex West Ham, so what, end of the day they are a Premiership club so anyone that's had any connection with them in recent years can't be that bad technically can they ?

Please don't tell me it's local rivalry, we are a million miles from them in terms of quality and resources. Jealousy maybe ? If players can switch between Arsenal and Tottenham and Liverpool and Man Utd so what if we appoint ex West Ham players / staff.

I'm more worried he's actually a bit crap as a manager and dodgy as hell.

I'm actually disgusted by this appointment. This is a man who was heavily implicated in the 'football bungs' scandals of a few years ago, yet never took the BBC or any other Media to the libel courts (dropped his case) and there are clearly a lot of questions over his past conduct. I wouldn't want to be associated with anyone like that and its a serious error of judgement by the Chairman.
I really feel like asking for my money back on next seasons Season Card - preferably not in cash in a brown envelope! Joking aside, this appointment is bad on so many levels and sends so many negative messages about so much that's wrong in football.

Conversely, neither the FA or HMRC brought any charges relating to these alleged incidents, either against clubs, managers/coaches or agents, after years of separate investigations by both organisations.

Conversely, neither the FA or HMRC brought any charges relating to these alleged incidents, either against clubs, managers/coaches or agents, after years of separate investigations by both organisations.

I agree posters should be careful what they post on here re KB, joking or not ....

From a business and football point of view I don't think this is too bad a decision.

Let's be honest - we could appoint Guardiola at present and he would struggle to keep us up. Traditionally somebody completely new gets a reaction from players which results in some impact which could keep us up. An outsider is in and so we have rolled the dice.
With impending doom approaching - who of the permanent candidates would be tempted at present with such a fragile squad? Relegation is likely and your first act as manager would be to confirm that fate. Potential candidates would be more attracted to either restoring us to league one or really pushing on. That would make for a much stronger field and a stronger long term successor.

Therefore Bond is probably the most experienced and available person to fit the current position. From his point of view he had a free hit. Go down and it was already inevitable. Stay up a hero and might be considered for permanent.

This appointment is the best solution for all parties so let's hope the end result is a win for us all.

I agree posters should be careful what they post on here re KB, joking or not ....

Thanks Blueronron, nail on the head. Please refrain from posting anything libel that could cause issues for SZ.

Thank You!

UTB, STAYING UP WITH KEVIN BOND!

At first glance the appointment does look somewhat underwhelming, but, having given the matter some thought I think Ron has taken a sensible course of action.
We are a club of limited resources and need to be prudent in managing our resources. When the time comes to appoint full time manager both the type of candidate we can hope to attract, and, how much Ron will be willing to commit to employing the replacement, will be hugely affected by which division we are in. In short, if I was in Ron's position I would reach the opinion that this is no time to make a long term financial commitment and/or management appointment.
What sort of candidate Ron might want and how much he can afford to pay will be much clearer after Mr Bond fulfills his short term contract. Then we will know which League we will be playing in next season.
Unlike some I have no concerns about the effect of the short term appointment our retained/release list. If this is to be the first task undertaken by the new manager it is impossible to imagine that in compiling such a list he would not be closely guided by Ricky Duncan. If no manager is in place then Ricky will supply Ron a list which will be no different from the one that would be produced if a new manager had just arrived.
Bond is an experienced operator. Any one who has been involved in management as long as he has will have seen both success and failure. All we are asking from him is that he be good for six games.
Most of us feel that the present squad have not performed well since the Bradford game. The team seems bereft of confidence and organisation. If he can make even small progress on either front we might still yet pull it a 'great escape'.
I think the appointment of a short term manager is logical and best suited to our always precarious situation.
Kevin Bond has been the one chosen by Ron to try perform the miracle, and, in truth, Ron has more to lose than me should Southend go down as although my morale will be affected I will suffer no financial loss. I therefore have no doubt than Ron has good reasons in making the choice.
He is now the manager of our team. Manic support from the supporters will surely be a factor if we are to stay up. We should all strive to give such support.
And, Kevin? Good luck!

Usually I look at their records and judge them... They could have 30, 35, 40% win record over a decent amount of games and I discount the 50, 66, 75, 100% because they were only in charge for 1 to 6 games.

But this time that statistic has significant value. I see 50% over 4 games at QPR. If we could get close to that in our last 6 games we stand a chance.

It all depends on the teams around us. They're currently in far better form. It's a case of whether we can hold them off. We could win 5 out of 6 but if Wimbledon we 6 out of 6 we're ****ed.

Kevin Bond........... his 1 in 3 win ratio and 1 in 6 draw ratio at Bournemouth if repeated for us would give us seven points which just might be enough.....

I wonder how many games he's seen on video. I like his comments about hard work and a bit of effort, that's what has been missing. He's probably looked at our squad on paper and can't believe his luck

I wonder how many games he's seen on video. I like his comments about hard work and a bit of effort, that's what has been missing. He's probably looked at our squad on paper and can't believe his luck

He must have seen us play - if he's scouting for Pompey, he would have watched the FA Cup defeat v Barnsley and a few games at the start of Feb,

Can't understand all this nonsense about coaches being ex West Ham, so what, end of the day they are a Premiership club so anyone that's had any connection with them in recent years can't be that bad technically can they ?

Please don't tell me it's local rivalry, we are a million miles from them in terms of quality and resources. Jealousy maybe ? If players can switch between Arsenal and Tottenham and Liverpool and Man Utd so what if we appoint ex West Ham players / staff.

I'm more worried he's actually a bit crap as a manager and dodgy as hell.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd never tried to put us out of business in the 1990s, they don't run coaches to their games from Southend and they don't drop season ticket leaflets through doors in our borough.

west ham are not a rival, of course they are not. But for many fans of a certain age, myself included, they are hated more than anyone else, including Colchester.

He must have seen us play - if he's scouting for Pompey, he would have watched the FA Cup defeat v Barnsley and a few games at the start of Feb,

He would also have far better knowledge about our last 6 opponents than any other option at this late hour.

Back