• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Kevin Keen to West Ham

Kightly would’ve never have made the success he did had we not released him. Some players need that kick or change of club to push them on.

You don't know that though. Personally I saw a good player in there (just needed to bulk up a bit) and felt we should have kept hold of him, and may be loan him out.

You don't know that though. Personally I saw a good player in there (just needed to bulk up a bit) and felt we should have kept hold of him, and may be loan him out.

Works both ways, you don’t know that us keeping him would’ve helped him.

It’s a world of what-ifs, if-onlys and whys. Hindsight is a joyless thing.

That's why I said personally as it was my opinion, you stated yours as a fact!!

Ah Jay my friend see that’s where you’re wrong. In the rules of SZ it states if it is a fact you must end the fact with the words FACT! End of.

I personally wouldn't want any ex-player take up the no 2 post right now, much as Kev Maher deserves the promotion. If he is the best person for the job, then 100% behind him. But, my worry is that too many legends have been already been sullied by the poison chalice of managing / assisting at our club. I want KB to bring in someone of experience to get us back on track for the forthcoming season and ideally sort out our midfield!

I personally wouldn't want any ex-player take up the no 2 post right now, much as Kev Maher deserves the promotion. If he is the best person for the job, then 100% behind him. But, my worry is that too many legends have been already been sullied by the poison chalice of managing / assisting at our club. I want KB to bring in someone of experience to get us back on track for the forthcoming season and ideally sort out our midfield!
Kevin played over 10 years in midfield for Southend , so I think he knows what to look for .

I can only think of one ex player/legend whose reputation might be sullied but I think most can differentiate between players and managers.

We could just let the bloke appoint his own assistant? He's been around the game a bit and I'd guess he knows a few people he thinks he could do the job. Who knows - he might have more imagination than to go for one of the umpteen ex-players whose names would crop up on here if there was a vacancy for a car park attendant.

We could just let the bloke appoint his own assistant? He's been around the game a bit and I'd guess he knows a few people he thinks he could do the job. Who knows - he might have more imagination than to go for one of the umpteen ex-players whose names would crop up on here if there was a vacancy for a car park attendant.

Don't talk rubbish; of course his assistant has to be an ex-player.

Next you'll be suggesting KB starts signing players that have never played for us before :Winking2:

Don't talk rubbish; of course his assistant has to be an ex-player. Next you'll be suggesting KB starts signing players that have never played for us before :Winking2:

Sorry - had far too much to drink last night. Now to see if Cambridge have released Gary Deegan.........

Keen will know what Charlie Kelman is about, and our other youths so that might not be a good thing for us to keep the gems, how ever if Spam have some very good youth of their own but not ready for Prem, then maybe we could be seen as better placements for loans?

Keen will know what Charlie Kelman is about, and our other youths so that might not be a good thing for us to keep the gems, how ever if Spam have some very good youth of their own but not ready for Prem, then maybe we could be seen as better placements for loans?

He’s going to work with their u18s not u23s.

Charlie still has a year at 18s and at that level (Cat 1 U18s) it would still be a huge step up technically and physically for him.....even compared to our 23s their 18s would be far better

Charlie is unlikely to get much game time with us this season unless we ship out a few strikers. Maybe one of the local non-league sides would take him on loan (and play him). Don't think some competitive mens football would do him any harm. Same with Acquah.

Some are released at 18 like Kyp or Hutchinson.

Keen will also know all about the players that are in the under 23's as well as being at the games. Then within a couple of years will have provided most of the team anyway.

Back