• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Maher Rumours

GoochDogHighFives

Youth Team
This rumour comes up every few months, but I have heard that he is joining the Os (even though Hull want him) has any one else heard this?

The opinion on here seems divided.
Is he actually any good?

Yes he is, holds the team together, whenever the players are asked whos the best player at the club the answer is usually Maher.

I was waiting for the Maher to Orient rumour.

Doug, he's been linked with you for the past.... 2? seasons.  I wouldn't read much into it mate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShrimperJim @ May 29 2004,18:52)]I was waiting for the Maher to Orient rumour.

Doug, he's been linked with you for the past.... 2? seasons.  I wouldn't read much into it mate.
I know Jim,

It must be the longest rumour in football.

I know for a fact that we tried t oget him last season and he turned us down (after a lot of talks)

To be honest, I reckon he is off to Hull

Cort's admitted that he's almost certain to go to Hull, where as Maher say's he's spoken to no-one.......so did Constantine.

No disrespect to your club,but I would have thought Maher has higher sights than "O"s,I would be surprised if it was money,as hes due a testimonial in acouple of years,which will hopefully coincide with the new ground,so it will be a financial wind fall.

He's been very loyal to the shrimpers and I wish him well what ever club he choses,he gets a lot of stick from people (Including me),but I think most people will agree he will be an asset to any club,hopefully Tilly/Brush can show him the way forward and tie him on a long term deal

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ May 29 2004,19:19)]No disrespect to your club,but I would have thought Maher has higher sights than "O"s,I would be surprised if it was money,as hes due a testimonial in acouple of years,which will hopefully coincide with the new ground,so it will be a financial wind fall.

He's been very loyal to the shrimpers and I wish him well what ever club he choses,he gets a lot of stick from people (Including me),but I think most people will agree he will be an asset to any club,hopefully Tilly/Brush can show him the way forward and tie him on a long term deal
Fair points Del,
I would be suprised if we got him, I think he will be off to Hull, which is a shame for us (and you)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ May 29 2004,19:19)]He's been very loyal to the shrimpers and I wish him well what ever club he choses ...
Totally agree. BTW I spoke with his mate today; no news from the Monkey man or at least any indication as to his intentions ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 29 2004,19:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bigdel @ May 29 2004,19:19)]He's been very loyal to the shrimpers and I wish him well what ever club he choses ...
Totally agree. BTW I spoke with his mate today; no news from the Monkey man or at least any indication as to his intentions ...

WS
Who's his mate the Organ Grinder....
ghostface.gif

Let me think.

If I were Kevin Maher what would I do. I have the option to join Sheff Wed clearly a sleeping giant with the best support and stadium outside the top two divisions. Maybe I could go to Hull and play infront of a capacity stadium for another sleeping giant with a teamon the up. Could stay at Southend where I have been happy for a number of years.Or....

Could join cr*ppy East London outfit who finished lower than we did, have shown their ambiton by building a ground with a capacity of what 6k and whos only claim to fame is they produced Chris Bart Williams.

Agree with you mate - Its a tough one -

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ May 30 2004,10:17)]Let me think.

Could join cr*ppy East London outfit who finished lower than we did, have shown their ambiton by building a ground with a capacity of what 6k and whos only claim to fame is they produced Chris Bart Williams.  

Agree with you mate - Its a tough one -
Dave,
I do not come on here for a "my club is better than yours" deal.

Like you, we are hardly the biggest club in the world, but FTR here is what we have done....

Beat Southend at Wembley (during the war)
Stole our current ground from a non league club
Until we changed our name back to Leyton, us and Arsenal were the only two teams in the league that were not named after a place
We used to have the widest pitch in England
Got to the highest division(but were down by Xmas)
Got to the Semi Finals of the FA Cup
Norman Stanley Fletcher supported us and made fun of us in the film Porridge
In the film The Robbery, the hiest was plotted on our terrace
And the theme to the South Bank Show was written as a bet involving Orient

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GoochDogHighFives @ May 30 2004,14:26)]Norman Stanley Fletcher supported us and made fun of us in the film Porridge
In the series, though, when allowed to leave on a weekend's compassionate leave, he boasted to inmates about going to watch Spurs win at home.  The O's link is ambiguous at best.

As well as that:

We made our own ground, not stolen it.

Never been relegated from English football's top flight, whatever guise it's in.

Never lost an FA Cup semi-final.

Never appeared in a film depicting crime.

Never appeared in an advert as a therapy for agrophobia.

You see, we may not have achieved much but there's plenty of good things we've never done.

wink.gif

Well Gooch,

My point aint that your a cr*ppy club - Which we all know anyway but that why the hell is Kev going to opt for your mob when he turns you down every season without fail even tho you offer him more money. Aint even really having a go at you but kust the idiots that start these rumors.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Banned @ May 30 2004,16:52)]Never appeared in a film depicting crime.
Ah, unless you include that bizarre film made in the 70s about a kid who got stabbed outside Roots Hall ... the title eludes me at the moment ...

WS

But wasn't the kid a bit of a delinquent and the stabbing was a result of a set-up that went wrong?

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Banned @ May 30 2004,16:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (GoochDogHighFives @ May 30 2004,14:26)]Norman Stanley Fletcher supported us and made fun of us in the film Porridge
In the series, though, when allowed to leave on a weekend's compassionate leave, he boasted to inmates about going to watch Spurs win at home.  The O's link is ambiguous at best.

As well as that:

We made our own ground, not stolen it.

Never been relegated from English football's top flight, whatever guise it's in.

Never lost an FA Cup semi-final.

Never appeared in a film depicting crime.

Never appeared in an advert as a therapy for agrophobia.

You see, we may not have achieved much but there's plenty of good things we've never done.

wink.gif
Class post

Back