• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Kevin Maher updates on Rhys Murphy injury

Get rid! Costing us a bomb and theres no guarantee hes going to score the goals needed to get us promoted
Oh @Shrimpet steve , if you have a little peep at the 22/23 contacts thread, you will see this:

Rhys Murphy 2023 with option for 2024

The fact that our coaching team are keen to have him fit and ready for next season suggests that he will definitely be here, and if he does cost a bomb, it would be more than we can afford to pay him off. Chuck in the fact that he was our highest scorer before his injury and all in all, you might have to suck this one up mate.

How do you know he is costing us a bomb? Have you seen what he earns?

Ultimately, there is no guarantee that anyone will score goals, so should we bin off everyone?
No just the ones who are always injured,there wages could be used to strengthen

Don't like the sound of: '...or if we will have to manage him as it goes along'.

It doesn't sound to me he's going to be up and raring to go by August, if I've rightly read Kev's manager-speak.
Agreed, but they also said the same about Dimi after his knee injury a few seasons ago...and he's still going.

A fit Murphy is worth 15/20 goals to sufc..... hope he can stay injury free and get back to what he best at, which is scoring goals.
League games played since returning to full-time football

21/22 - 18+3
20/21 - 20+9
19/20 - 28+2

I’m not saying he can’t buck that trend but I wouldn’t want to be betting my season on it, particularly if we’re targeting the play-offs. If he does start 35+ games I’d suggest he’d likely to be jaded by the play-offs.

The trio in charge clearly think he is good enough/as good as other players they could realistically buy, to be involved in a promotion push, thats all there is to it really, all it takes is for him to form a good relationship with the other new players and he could easily bang in 20.

Or he could get injured again, but same goes for any of them.

The trio in charge clearly think he is good enough/as good as other players they could realistically buy, to be involved in a promotion push, thats all there is to it really, all it takes is for him to form a good relationship with the other new players and he could easily bang in 20.

Or he could get injured again, but same goes for any of them.
Except there’s no actual evidence “clearly” suggesting this.

They inherited his contract and so couldn’t be rid of him yet even if they wanted to.

They thankfully aren’t in the business of publicly slagging off players so we can’t read anything into any comments. They said plenty of good things about the likes of Dunne and Atkinson and then dumped them.

We don’t know if he’s their first choice as whilst one of their first signings was a potential replacement in Cardwell, Murphy has ever since been injured so we can’t judge if he’s in favour on team selections.

Any claims that he is or isn’t in their plans are pure guesswork.

And if Murphy is costing us a 'bomb' why would anyone want to take him off us while he is injured?
If he is being paid less than a 'bomb' he would surely fit the definition of a good signing and we would be foolish to move him on.
Either way for the time being he is going nowhere.

He is a good player at this level. Has the experience and a good goalscoring record compared to what we have had in the last 2/3 years

Back