• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I could be wrong. But I believe Diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

Seriously though, I don't see too many black or Asian fans supporting Southend and evidence suggests this is the same across the country. The UK may be a diverse society, which is excellent, but football is lagging behind so perhaps this is needed.

I have never seen many black or Asian fans at Southend which is a massive shame.

I have never seen many black or Asian fans at Southend which is a massive shame.

SE Essex isn't particularly culturally diverse - it's above average in terms of proportion of population being White British. Always find it quite strange how UKIP does quite well in areas with relatively little local immigration.

Can we leave this just for tonight considering we just won on a tuesday for christ knows how long and have just gone 4th. Just a thought.

Of course but should efforts not be focused on better educating other nations then?

LagerBomb spoke about former Yugoslav countries AND the EU have social and policing levels that have to be met (human rights, rule of law, equality etc) before those countries (Turkey, Serbia, Albania etc) can be allowed EU membership. The OSCE is doing significant training and monitoring in many of these countries in line with your comment. Oddly for a supposedly European non governmental body the OSCE (Organisation for Security, Commerce Europe) the majority financial contributor is the USA.

I've always found it ironic that threads like these questioning why we need more diversity awareness always seem to end up answering that very question.

SE Essex isn't particularly culturally diverse - it's above average in terms of proportion of population being White British. Always find it quite strange how UKIP does quite well in areas with relatively little local immigration.

There are 3 mosques close by the ground (and an unofficial/illegal usage one in Fairfax Dr) yet there is little visible that supporting SUFC and sporting ties in a wider community has spread to sections of society.
I am sure the club's schools team are working with the kids and maybe we (the club) could attract more support from their families and 1st generation immigrants with a little positive encouragement.

A large proportion of Essex's population migrated from the East End of London. Now I am not suggesting for one minute that everyone left that part of the world because a large Asian population began to move in. But some might have done. If those people perceive that multiculturalism is following them, it will probably be making them fearful. UKIP is a party that tends to do well with white, middle class older people who want the world to go back to 1957. That may be why they are set to do well here in the election.

I personally find it interesting how everyone perceives the south east is "full up" due to immigration from other countries, when equally to blame is the huge north-south divide and the draw of London, which means anyone who has any prospects north of Watford moves down here as soon as they can. There are vast swathes of the UK where the population is not getting any bigger, houses are vacant etc. But we don't really see that side of it here in Essex.

When people encounter foreigners on a regular basis they realise that they aren't really all that different to you and me. It's when immigration is faceless that it is opposed. Who here knows someone they think should be deported? It is literally borne out of ignorance.

Despicable. Genuine supporters have worked so hard over the years to rid football fans of the reputation we had in the 1980s and this kind of thing will just set that work back.

Perhaps we ought to ought to start a #notallfootballfans campaign , It seems that many are quite happy to take the "tar all with the same brush" attitude in this case , when quite rightly they haven't on other issues

Despicable. Genuine supporters have worked so hard over the years to rid football fans of the reputation we had in the 1980s and this kind of thing will just set that work back.

Sorry Jai, it willnot set it back

99.99 % of football supporters will find this horrific, the odd .01 % will be thinking how funny it is, those are the knuckle dragging low life we all ignore at a game. Take the pack mentality out of them and I bet none would have had the balls to front up to the person and kick him off, unless they were on drugs or boozed up to the hilt, and then its best to leave them a lone
Its a human side, that the people on the platform and on the tube chose to ignore the persons peril, and yet and I am not saying I would have in the situation stood up to them, it may have had a different ending
The sad thing is nowadays, no one wants to confront them, and perhaps if we all had the balls to do it, then the said low life would find another stone to crawl under.
Never a policaman about when you need one, had this many times on late night train home to Basildon, two or three oinks looking for a fight and harrasing everyone, but no one will stand up to them or better still the carriage uniting as one.
Just hope they are caught and thrown in side, Im sure our extreme right wing followers on this site, would have had a field day if it was a black or asian group doing this to a white person

UTS

Back