• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kightly announces retirement from professional football

Begs the question why no official announcement on the club website, I wonder if terms are still to be agreed with Ron?

He has definitely retired. Plays tons of golf and enjoys a beer or two, so I'm informed.

Yes our four ball was behind him at the weekend.....He was really slow and kept losing his ball.

Perhaps he was feeling a little green around the gills and struggling to settle with his new club?

Last edited:
I was told Kightly is going through a divorce so obviously got a lot to deal with so maybe just lost interest completely in football

I was told Kightly is going through a divorce so obviously got a lot to deal with so maybe just lost interest completely in football

Understandable. I think mental health is still a very big taboo in football that is seen a macho sport even today.

Understandable. I think mental health is still a very big taboo in football that is seen a macho sport even today.
I agree it's a shame that mental health problems still hold a certain stigma as it could affect anyone of us at anytime

Probably because it is.

Hmm. Are you confusing physical with macho? It shouldn't be so "macho" (cue Sinita gags) to the point where players are scared of asking for help as they're not feeling right and gay players are scared to come out. That leads to suicides like Gary Speed or Justin Fashanu.

Hmm. Are you confusing physical with macho? It shouldn't be so "macho" (cue Sinita gags) to the point where players are scared of asking for help as they're not feeling right and gay players are scared to come out. That leads to suicides like Gary Speed or Justin Fashanu.

Men from all walks of life commit suicide.....More than women. Far worse industries to be in than Football.....They have it easy.

The word macho is nonsense. invented by people who don't understand real men.

I currently help an ex Firefighter who has tried to commit suicide. He has had the worst run of luck in terms of horrible incidents i have ever known. He cant talk to payed psychiatrists, who say there there never mind. He wants to talk to people who have been there and done it. They only thing that will stop his 'guilt trip' is honest talk from the right people.

As a side note. When he was recently describing trying to save a girls life who was under a tube train. I found myself having flash backs and as he was describing it i was almost there myself.....Something that has never happened to me before.

In terms of mental health we are in a real infancy stage and i believe some of the current trends will be laughed at in 50 years time.

In the mean time as many of you already know. Men can talk to men. They just need the right people and the right place......Something we don't get from the government. They have closed military hospitals etc. Injured Firefighters have to rely on our charity to help them recover at our rehab centres. They don't yet have the option for those with mental health problems.

Men from all walks of life commit suicide.....More than women. Far worse industries to be in than Football.....They have it easy.

The word macho is nonsense. invented by people who don't understand real men.

I currently help an ex Firefighter who has tried to commit suicide. He has had the worst run of luck in terms of horrible incidents i have ever known. He cant talk to payed psychiatrists, who say there there never mind. He wants to talk to people who have been there and done it. They only thing that will stop his 'guilt trip' is honest talk from the right people.

As a side note. When he was recently describing trying to save a girls life who was under a tube train. I found myself having flash backs and as he was describing it i was almost there myself.....Something that has never happened to me before.

In terms of mental health we are in a real infancy stage and i believe some of the current trends will be laughed at in 50 years time.

In the mean time as many of you already know. Men can talk to men. They just need the right people and the right place......Something we don't get from the government. They have closed military hospitals etc. Injured Firefighters have to rely on our charity to help them recover at our rehab centres. They don't yet have the option for those with mental health problems.
My grandad who recently passed away was an ex firefighter of 30 years. Never ever spoke about his work to anyone but some of the things he must have seen in those 30 years must have been horrendous.

Essex fire service found out about his death and have been really helpful in helping arranging the funeral etc. Seeing as he had been retired for something like 35 years I thought that was a nice touch.

Kightly is very well spoken and comes across as a decent bloke. Nice that someone has actually come out and confirmed he’s retired, cannot understand why the club haven’t announced it.

Not surprised he is going down the route of being an agent and I like his reasons behind it.

Drewe on the other hand is terrible to listen too. Find him really annoying. Turns out I’ve been pronouncing Broughton wrong too.

I thought it hugely came across in the video that Kightly just wasn’t into football this last couple of years and that mentally he wasn’t right. It’s not really a surprise therefore that he didn’t reach the levels we expected.

Back