• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kightly announces retirement from professional football

If he has decided to call "time" on his career then he earns much respect from me for that, he has had a good living , ups and downs, AND I wish him well.

Regardless, of whether he decides to call it a day, stay with us or move on, I will be wishing him well as he has been a decent player for us and he has done his best. Over the last year though, I don't think his best has been enough - I don't think it is a poor attitude or anything, probably more that age and injury niggles have caught up with him. I questioned his fitness a few times last season, and I suspect that he wasn't playing because he was struggling.

On his day, he could still turn a defence and create havoc,but those days have been further apart. If he chooses to stay, I suspect it will be the odd appearance and a load of bench warming, but his experience could be valuable. Question is - can we afford that luxury and is that what is right for him?

I guess we will get the answer later in the week!

Such a shame to see a player call it a day before they thought they would [eg AB] should that be the case.

We saw glimpses of what he's capable in his first season but in the second I felt as though he was somewhat out of ideas sadly. I've said a few times if you're out of form you can always work hard for the team and towards the end of the season I thought he did just that.

No other player returning has made me feel as excited as Kightly did and I will do my best to remember that feeling.

Whilst undoubtedly his high wages could be spent better, I don’t get the huge dislike and poking of fun towards Kightly. In his first season back he got a respectable six goals and whilst last season he struggled, he still regularly managed to get involved in turning points in games. I don’t believe he’s not put the effort in and from his reactions, he clearly does care about what happens to the club. Maybe it’s just his body that is slowly but surely giving in to the rigours of League 1? So how about rather than the vitriol, we say thank you and goodbye?

If this happens, it will be a sad end to an illustrious career. I naively expected so much from Kightly and in the beginning he showed his class, but last season his legs couldn't keep up with his footballing brain. Good luck Michael if tomorrow is your last day with Southend.

I agree there shouldn't be so much muck being thrown at Kightly. He had a good first season with us but the rumours of his large wage probably didn't help endear him to some on here. I must admit though that I also expected more from him and thought he was a wow signing at the time, unfortunately he certainly didn't reach great heights last season. I also heard he had quite a few problems in his private life during the season, so this may also have affected his performances.
So whatever he is going to do, I would like to thank him for his efforts with us and wish him good luck for the future.

I must have missed this good first season. He’s had 1 good game in 2 years and that was his debut. A huge drain on resources and we’ve had absolutely no return on our investment

Whilst undoubtedly his high wages could be spent better, I don’t get the huge dislike and poking of fun towards Kightly. In his first season back he got a respectable six goals and whilst last season he struggled, he still regularly managed to get involved in turning points in games. I don’t believe he’s not put the effort in and from his reactions, he clearly does care about what happens to the club. Maybe it’s just his body that is slowly but surely giving in to the rigours of League 1? So how about rather than the vitriol, we say thank you and goodbye?

Won the penalty that helped us get back into the game at Portsmouth - how important that point turned out to be!!

I won't slag him off like others on here and certainly don't believe he never tried.

I said all last season our squad fitness looked poor and this probably affected the midfielders more, and certainly wouldn't have helped the likes of Kightly.

Even McL struggled most of the season!

Echo has him retiring
If that is true then you have to hold your hands up and say what a great career. Sure, it didn’t work out particularly back here but he still played 60 games across 2 seasons.

I imagine the fact his family are based in and around Birmingham doesn’t make life easy especially with the commute for training.

Best of luck to him, whatever he chooses to do next

Remember his first game back for us as a season opener against Blackburn, where he ripped them a new one. He still had the ability to scare the life out of some defences, and was still influential on the pitch.

I am gutted for him that it hasn't worked out as he would have expected, but there is no doubt he was on huge wages for a club of our size and freeing wages up was a must this season. Wish him all the best, whether he's retiring or moving on.

I bet he cant wait to pull on a pair of elastic waisted Blue Harbour jeans and get down the allotment.

Back