• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kightly announces retirement from professional football

Football player is a better chat up line than retired football player.
Possibly but ex high earning player is better than current low earning one plus I think costly divorce may have put him off liaisons with the fairer sex

Poor from the club IMO, maybe there were some politics behind it but just seems off

The key is in the second sentence:

The winger has agreed with the Club to terminate his contract at Southend United.

Obviously haggling over the contract settlement.

"The winger has agreed with the Club to terminate his contract at Southend United. "

I wonder how much he was paid for him to agree to terminate his contract?

If there was no haggling over money this would have been finalised weeks ago wouldn't it?

Good luck in your future Michael,and thanks ,you have had a sparkling career,i wish you well.

He was always such a great prospect and was good to see him achieve at the highest level. You've certainly done the right thing Michael. All the best for the future.

Good luck to the lad, a very good player at his best which unfortunately was never in a Blues shirt, sportsman always say you know when its time to hang up your boots so if his heart isn't in it anymore then he has made the right call. All the best for the future Kights

Kightly is very well spoken and comes across as a decent bloke. Nice that someone has actually come out and confirmed he’s retired, cannot understand why the club haven’t announced it.

Not surprised he is going down the route of being an agent and I like his reasons behind it.

Drewe on the other hand is terrible to listen too. Find him really annoying. Turns out I’ve been pronouncing Broughton wrong too.

Being fair, none of this surprises me with Kightly. It was blindingly obvious last season that there was something not right for him, and he wasn't about to share that publicly while still playing. If his marriage has imploded, that isn't an easy thing for men to deal with generally because they do struggle to share their feelings, and in a super-charged relegation battle that wont have helped either!

Right decision at the right time, and I think he will be a brilliant agent, his motivations seem right and I genuinely wish him every success.

Now Drewe - just wow! I heard his story about underachieving through his playing career, retiring from football, almost penniless and ending up on his brother's sofa having lost his house and his marriage - with a stint in rehab for mental health issues. Looks like he has rebuilt his life completely, and whatever you might think of him, I have every respect for him and what he has done since then. And he is a fantastic "person" coach - if you listen to his podcasts, he is completely right, as football fans see the persona, not the individual!

While I wish Michael my best wishes for his retirement, he has earned alot of money ( by most supporters living) we would be sacked if our performance at work was poor . Footballers should be treated the same as people who pay their wages

While I wish Michael my best wishes for his retirement, he has earned alot of money ( by most supporters living) we would be sacked if our performance at work was poor . Footballers should be treated the same as people who pay their wages

While I agree on some levels, people have to appreciate that footballers are human beings, with emotions, problems and pressures just like the rest of us. The difference is, most supporters can have a period of time that they are 'off' their game for whatever reason and a limited number of people know. And yes, they can be sacked, and sadly often are.

In general terms, when a footballer is struggling, every fan knows as it can't be hidden, and for an unlucky few, it is also all over the TV and the back pages. But, instead of being allowed to quietly work through it, he is branded useless, lazy, and no end of other things that contribute to increased and prolonged pressure which causes poor performance. So many talented and promising youngsters end up as underachievers, and I think this cauldron of pressure may be a big contribution if they aren't given emotional support.

The culture in football isn't a healthy place for talented but sensitive young men, who don't know they need help to manage their feelings and emotions- something that is lacking in many clubs.

Phil Brown was very aware of this, as was SCP. Not quite sure about KB, time will tell.

While I agree on some levels, people have to appreciate that footballers are human beings, with emotions, problems and pressures just like the rest of us. The difference is, most supporters can have a period of time that they are 'off' their game for whatever reason and a limited number of people know. And yes, they can be sacked, and sadly often are.

In general terms, when a footballer is struggling, every fan knows as it can't be hidden, and for an unlucky few, it is also all over the TV and the back pages. But, instead of being allowed to quietly work through it, he is branded useless, lazy, and no end of other things that contribute to increased and prolonged pressure which causes poor performance. So many talented and promising youngsters end up as underachievers, and I think this cauldron of pressure may be a big contribution if they aren't given emotional support.

The culture in football isn't a healthy place for talented but sensitive young men, who don't know they need help to manage their feelings and emotions- something that is lacking in many clubs.

Phil Brown was very aware of this, as was SCP. Not quite sure about KB, time will tell.

Not all that long ago my wife was treating an international footballer behind his team's back. He wasn't happy with the treatment from the club. As it turns out the club physio had misdiagnosed his injury and was therefore treating him incorrectly. My wife got him better.

In the meantime I looked on his club's forum to find that the fans were calling him useless and lazy for a) being out for so long with an injury (the fans believed he was pretending to be injured so he didn't have to play in a relegation threatened team), and b) for playing badly when he came back, even though he wasn't 100% fit.

A lot goes on that we don't know about. It would be wise for us to reserve judgement...

Totally agree with this, which is why I hate it when 'supporters' get on a player's back. Some of the stuff said is completely out of order and abusive. Then you have players that get a concentrated dose of the toxic vitriol because they've become a target week in, week out. How fans think it helps I will never fathom.

Back