• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
CLUB STATEMENT: TRUE BLUES
Posted on: Thu 23 Apr 2009

Southend United Chief Executive Geoffrey King has today released a further statement:

My web article on Monday has caused controversy as the statement recorded that SUFC fans were fighting "not only the four Leicester fans but also amongst themselves".

This information was passed to me by the Police who had reviewed the CCTV footage on Monday.I did not personally review the footage trusting the normally very reliable information received.

The CCTV footage on further inspection does not clearly show that SUFC fans were "fighting" amongst themselves but rather scrambling and pushing in order to get to the four Leicester City supporters who, of course, should not - as the Chairman rightly points out - have been in those seats in the first place.

Whatever the position I accept the responsibility for the statement made on Monday as incorrect having been based on information I received which itself has proved to be inaccurate.

We work hard to promote SUFC as a family club, as is evidenced by the award the Club received recently from the Football League, where families can attend a game in the knowledge that they are in a safe environment.This position is paramount and the Chairman and I will not waver to ensure Southend United continues to lead the way in creating a safe and enjoyable football experience.It takes a long time to build that position and reputation about which we are precious.

I apologise if I have upset supporters who genuinely come to SUFC to watch a match and supporter the team.This of course was not intended and I hope supporters know that my mandate is to simply ensure behaviour within the ground does not infringe the enjoyment of others.

Geoffrey King
Chief Executive

CLUB STATEMENT: TRUE BLUES
Posted on: Thu 23 Apr 2009

Southend United Chief Executive Geoffrey King has today released a further statement:

My web article on Monday has caused controversy as the statement recorded that SUFC fans were fighting "not only the four Leicester fans but also amongst themselves".

This information was passed to me by the Police who had reviewed the CCTV footage on Monday.I did not personally review the footage trusting the normally very reliable information received.

The CCTV footage on further inspection does not clearly show that SUFC fans were "fighting" amongst themselves but rather scrambling and pushing in order to get round True Blue, who, of course, should not - as the Chairman rightly points out - have been in those seats in the first place.

Whatever the position I accept the responsibility for the statement made on Monday as incorrect having been based on information I received which itself has proved to be inaccurate.

We work hard to promote SUFC as a family club, as is evidenced by the award the Club received recently from the Football League, where families can attend a game in the knowledge that they are in a safe environment.This position is paramount and the Chairman and I will not waver to ensure Southend United continues to lead the way in creating a safe and enjoyable football experience.It takes a long time to build that position and reputation about which we are precious.

I apologise if I have upset supporters who genuinely come to SUFC to watch a match and supporter the team.This of course was not intended and I hope supporters know that my mandate is to simply ensure behaviour within the ground does not infringe the enjoyment of others.

Geoffrey King
Chief Executive

That bit made me laugh the most ;)

He blames the old bill yet
This of course was not intended and I hope supporters know that my mandate is to simply ensure behaviour within the ground does not infringe the enjoyment of others.

if that's the case he should look at it himself first!!!

Time to get off the guys back fellas, he's made his apology and like the rest of us he is only human.....we all make mistakes. A protest is out of order IMO.

I'm with you on this one, alot of mistakes were made all round and I'm sure the club as a whole will learn from what happened! Its all been blown out of proportion a bit and now he's apologised that should be the end of it.

(over 80% on here wanted him to go regardless the face book group have over 100 people in 24 hours and growing every second I think its clear what's wanted! )

TB with all due respect the 80% of those who voted on this forum does not represent the majority of the 8000 blues fans there last saturday. Its like 'old news' now and should be left to the club to sort out.

That apology has Ron Martins fingerprints all over it.

That's what I thought too on reading it. Accepting responsibility for ****ing off the supporters, but blaming the police for not giving him correct information - not the best of moves I'd have thought.

Have to say I agree with sufcrocks here. Im not sure what you will achieve by these 'protests' and it does nothing for what advancing the aims of The Blue Voice if they want to be taken as a creditable group by the owners of the club. The guy has apologised, Ron has made King look stupid in his blog. Surely there are more constructive things that can be done to support the team on the pitch etc!

(over 80% on here wanted him to go regardless the face book group have over 100 people in 24 hours and growing every second I think its clear what's wanted! )

TB with all due respect the 80% of those who voted on this forum does not represent the majority of the 8000 blues fans there last saturday. Its like 'old news' now and should be left to the club to sort out.

Thats very true mate but does that not show a 'trend'

Also speaking to blues fans myself from all different ages etc... allot of people have been left hurt by this! and also the fact that this was 2 issues on the same day but PAST problems as well, how long can we go on (in my view) being let down by a club with things like this. It is hard for me in this current climate to wish anybody out of their job though I am sure Mr King has fingers in many pies so to speak I would best case him be removed from day to day running and used in another field why a front man was brought in to run the dad to day workings somebody with superb likeability and great PR skills.

Have to say I agree with sufcrocks here. Im not sure what you will achieve by these 'protests' and it does nothing for what advancing the aims of The Blue Voice if they want to be taken as a creditable group by the owners of the club. The guy has apologised, Ron has made King look stupid in his blog. Surely there are more constructive things that can be done to support the team on the pitch etc!

Whats the blue voice got to do with it?

over 80% on here wanted him to go regardless the face book group have over 100 people in 24 hours and growing every second I think its clear what's wanted!

I think 100 people donot total 5500 season ticket holders, who will decide the fate of the decision,its whether they decide enough is enough and the club lose much revenue during the summer months

People are not so starry eyes regarding emails from Chairmen, who is to say it hasnot come from his PA, "THOUGH SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE PART OF THE IN CROWD "and like to crow about it and cannot see they are being used by the PR machine.Im fed up people saying I got a call from RM or he responded to my email, well if that turns them on Im happy for them, personally I think the only one that counts is The Trust who are the eyes and ears for the supporters and they will deal with matters as a group rather than fringe groups that will allways spring up

At the end of the day Scott, an apology has come from the club, regardless whether its intentional or not and from GK or RM, you should let it rest though not forget, because I am the same opinion of you regarding the way the PR is spilled out, though in my case I took it a step further and wouldnot renew my s/ticket after nearly 25 years last year, my mini protest that hurts, but nevertheless one I will keep, until RM shows me more than a shiney stadium with 75 % empty seats.
I still go to games though I hasten to add, donot get involved in the anti RM or RM is god groups, just hope you are not ringed as a troublemaker regarding this though I fully understand your reasons, but at times its better to let go, and regroup for another day

Back