• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm a bit torn here, I'm not at all happy with the "apology" but am loathe to see this dragging on. I hope the club and GK accept that a massive error of judgement occured and that in future ALL the facts will be verified before making any such statements.

just read the statement and its a pretty terrible apology tbh and he also blames the police. end of the day no one made him write what he did.

for me whats been said cannot be taken away and he is to step down. i am fully behind the group who want him out. this is not the first time this has happened and i doubt it will be the last.

its very possible rm has made him issue this statement, funny how this site has a lot of power over the club.

just read the statement and its a pretty terrible apology tbh and he also blames the police. end of the day no one made him write what he did.

for me whats been said cannot be taken away and he is to step down. i am fully behind the group who want him out. this is not the first time this has happened and i doubt it will be the last.

its very possible rm has made him issue this statement, funny how this site has a lot of power over the club.

Mark my words Mr Jobson reports to Mr King and not the Police so lets get this straight. Police just send the Bill for the policing Sadly MR King can add another £1000 in lost S/T sells

JOBSON OUT !!

Last edited:
I thought this had died a death when people actually started to look beyond the niave and stupid statement made by Mr King and at what had happened. Beefy has just summed it all up in another thread, i hope he doesn't mind me quoting him. There just seems little else to add after reading it

Lets lay it to rest, i would imagine that what will be concerning some more then the sacking of Geoff will be what footage was taken of them by the police.

My problem with this whole is issue is that the uproar has been against Geoff King for making a stupid, irresponsible, ill-informed comment and not at the handful of thugs in the West who couldn't cope with the idea that there were four people near them who happened to support a different football club. King shouldn't have said what he did, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was our fans who were throwing punches.

The Leicester fans shouldn't have been there, obviously. And once identified by the Stewards they should have been removed. But plenty of our fans have gone into home ends plenty of times in the past and this idea that they were sitting in our end so they're fair game seems 20 years out of date.

Last edited:
Whilst I have made my views on Mr King plain in previous posts I think it's about time a line was drawn under this whole sorry episode. The reasoning being that.

1. As I said previously Ron was probably spitting bloody about Mr Kings initial statement in that it had undone a quite considerable amount of the hard work he had put in to building the supporter/club ties that he'd built up. As has been born out by Ron in his blog he hadn't seen or read Mr Kings statement prior to it being published and in that respect you can bet your granny's false teeth that this will be the last time any such statements will go to press without first being vetted by Ron and altered if necessary.

2. No amount of calling for Mr King or Mr Jobson to walk or be pushed is ever going to have any effect. He (Mr King) has had his knuckles wrapped and I dare say his last statement will be the last we'll ever see from him on the OS.

3. We know that some of the players frequent this site from time to time and it's quite possible this whole saga is, or will, have a detrimental effect on them in the run up to our last two games. The very last thing they'll want to see is banners or placards calling for certain heads to roll either at the last away game of the season or most certainly at our last home tie.

4. A massive blunder was made by the club both in terms of the match day experience, ticketing, stewarding and subsequently the statement issued on behalf of the club but I trust in Ron Martin that this will be a hard lesson learned.

5. Grievances such as this that effect not just one or two but a number of Southend United supporters should, I believe, be put to the club through The Trust who after all are there to represent the supporters in any form that may take.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Here's looking to a win this afternoon and reading some positive posts on here for a change :D

UP THE BLUES

Last edited:
There have been protests at Roots Hall before against incompetent people who did not have the interests of the fans, and therefore the club, at heart. I for a while have wondered whether there would ever be similar protests again. Of course there has not been that much to moan about in recent years to be honest. At the end of the day we all want success on the pitch and by and large we have had that - certainly by our standards.

However let's not forget that the height of the anti-Jobson protests was during our best ever season league position wise - the very same season we topped what is now the Championship. Now I'm too far removed physically (but not emotionally) to say whether protests are justified or not. I wasn't there last week and have only the reports on this forum to go by. However I am heartened to see the depth of feeling this has generated and even more heartened to see that an apology has been given as, from what I can see, a direct result of what the fans have had to say.

WE are the club, WE are the ones by which this club will succeed or fail. WE will see players, managers, directors, chairmen and even stadiums come and go. Long after the likes of Geoff King and Ron Martin are little more than footnotes in the history of this club WE will still be Southend United. It's good now and again to let them know that, it's good now and again to upset the applecart. Because if WE don't they will start to think it's their club - and it isn't, never was and never will be.

So whether there should be protests isn't for me to say, not anymore. However if enough people decide that there should be then that's good enough for me. I'll be with you in spirit!

Back